Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Warsaw [WAW]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say it’s very likely it won’t have a finger, as the smaller aircraft arriving non-Schengen very rarely have.
Old May 5, 2019, 4:43 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover
I would say it’s very likely it won’t have a finger, as the smaller aircraft arriving non-Schengen very rarely have.
Or even more annoying - your aircraft will arrive at the Schengen jetty and you will have to be bused to the non-Schengen area Happens sometimes...
hugolover likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had that much more with BArb though. To arrive at one of her premium domestic gates. The difference with BArb is that she won’t use the forward door so everyone must go down the back. With Basia she will use the front (maybe both) and of course P and C will nearly always get the dedicated bus.

BArb would need to be having a truly magical day for those combinations to occur.

Even if you fly in her £18k F cabins you’d be so lucky.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm flying YYZ-WAW-BEG Sunday and returning Friday. Do passengers connecting in Warsaw have to go through an immigration process between two non-Schengen countries and, if so, what does it entail and how efficient is it? The connection times are not too bad: 2:10 outbound, 1:20 returning.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I'm flying YYZ-WAW-BEG Sunday and returning Friday. Do passengers connecting in Warsaw have to go through an immigration process between two non-Schengen countries and, if so, what does it entail and how efficient is it? The connection times are not too bad: 2:10 outbound, 1:20 returning.
It's an NS-NS transfer so no immigration check, just security control.

If you arrive via a bus then you turn left as you enter the terminal building (i.e. where other pax are lining up for passport control, you take a left).

For arrival via air/jet bridge it can be slightly different. Pax from the USA should end up directly on departures level, otherwise you could be on the arrivals level. In either case you still only need to go through security control and then possibly take the stairs/lift up to the departures level.
Badenoch likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Connection this Saturday at WAW. Arrival from USA on LOT (J) at 10AM. Fly out on Swiss (J) to ZRH at 2:30 PM. Star Gold.
Assuming on time, I was planning to run into the city to walk around a bit. Now seeing that Thunderstorms are forecast.

If I want to just stay in the airport (due to weather, or late arrival), can someone advise on lounge preferences?

Is it possible to access the Intl / Non-Schengen upon arrival, before going through Immigration?
I assume the Intl / Schengen lounge would be "better" than in the non-Schengen area, but would welcome input on where best to hang out...

Thanks.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You won’t be able to access the non-Schengen lounge with your ZRH BP and there is no reason you would want to.

The Schengen lounge (Polonez) is a much better plans to “hang out”, plus the Star Gold section has better drinks and food to make the wait pass better.

In other words, don’t bother at all trying to get to non-Schengen “Mazurek”.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Connection this Saturday at WAW. Arrival from USA on LOT (J) at 10AM. Fly out on Swiss (J) to ZRH at 2:30 PM. Star Gold.
Assuming on time, I was planning to run into the city to walk around a bit. Now seeing that Thunderstorms are forecast.

If I want to just stay in the airport (due to weather, or late arrival), can someone advise on lounge preferences?

Is it possible to access the Intl / Non-Schengen upon arrival, before going through Immigration?
I assume the Intl / Schengen lounge would be "better" than in the non-Schengen area, but would welcome input on where best to hang out...

Thanks.
You're better off just going straight through to the Schengen side in any case. You'd have time for a quick jaunt around the Palace of Culture area but if the weather is going to be stormy I certainly wouldn't bother.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by yurtripper
It's an NS-NS transfer so no immigration check, just security control.

If you arrive via a bus then you turn left as you enter the terminal building (i.e. where other pax are lining up for passport control, you take a left).

For arrival via air/jet bridge it can be slightly different. Pax from the USA should end up directly on departures level, otherwise you could be on the arrivals level. In either case you still only need to go through security control and then possibly take the stairs/lift up to the departures level.
Thanks. It was a very easy connection. Jet bridge to the terminal, up one floor and direct into the gate for the BEG flight. No security. Straight through.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by hugolover
You won’t be able to access the non-Schengen lounge with your ZRH BP and there is no reason you would want to.

The Schengen lounge (Polonez) is a much better plans to “hang out”, plus the Star Gold section has better drinks and food to make the wait pass better.

In other words, don’t bother at all trying to get to non-Schengen “Mazurek”.
Originally Posted by yurtripper
You're better off just going straight through to the Schengen side in any case. You'd have time for a quick jaunt around the Palace of Culture area but if the weather is going to be stormy I certainly wouldn't bother.
Great info. Thanks to you both !
Old May 16, 2019, 6:24 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Thanks.
My weather app shows 3% rain chance during this time on Saturday

But 4 hours might not be enough. Even if you take a cab to show you around, some parts like Royal Route are closed for car traffic during weekend.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Co-Onepass, Delta-Useless Skymiles
LOT tight connection 50 min WAW

Hey team, new flight service from DEL to WAW 50 min connection to catch WAW to EWR, is this doable? current NOTAM for Pakistan airspace is still closed and major PIA for travellers.. The ticket was a an Award ticket via UA. Do I need to reschedule this issue with UA as they already have their DEL to EWR on cancelled status or try to get rebooked on anther carrier with a longer airport window. this flight is taking place in late September 2019.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:51 pm

There’s a specific thread on WAW connections’ query, your thread may be moved accordingly (just an FYI).

That said, this is a perfectly fine connection and you would even have time for a quick drink at the lounge. Even a minor delay would allow you to make the EWR flight with no issues whatsoever. All this, needless to say, in normal circumstances. Nobody knows how long the airspace issue is going to last and it’s therefore entirely up to you whether you wish to amend your travel arrangements at this very stage, for extra peace of mind, may I add.

G
Dhamal likes this.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jun 7, 2019 at 1:59 pm Reason: minor amendments.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:16 am

I had a interesting connection via Warsaw this morning. I was flying Yerevan - Warsaw - Heathrow and was scheduled to land at 06:30 and depart at 07:30 (so a 1hr connection).

The flight from Yerevan was predictably late (check the on-time performance of this flight - it’s awful). We pushed back at 05:55 (1hr10mins late) and arrived at the gate in Warsaw at 07:15 (45mins late) with just 15minutes connection time.

The doors opened at 07:17 and I went through security, boarded the connecting flight to London and was sitting in my seat at 07:25. I think 8 minutes seat to seat via security is pretty good.

There were a few people along the route in hi-vis calling for London and directing people in the correct direction so it seems to me LOT are used to very short connections.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by B7474U3
it seems to me LOT are used to very short connections.
They would otherwise end up paying compensation to most of their passengers on a daily basis...

LOT’s on-time performance is renownedly poor (and that’s an understatement) but at least Warsaw airport is no Frankfurt and these days I am so used to it that don’t even worry when my next flight has nearly finished boarding and we are still taxiing towards a remote stand...

G
yurtripper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.