Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Warsaw [WAW]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Looks like LO decided to cancel the evening LO321 WAW-MXP on several dates in June and put me on LO319 instead. Not only does this turn a 3-hour connection into a 50-minute one (at least SPU is in Schengen now, thankfully) and eliminate a visit to the Elite lounge, but the flight is on an E175 to boot
Old Apr 17, 2023, 2:30 am

Exclamation Heads up for extra security check on WAW

Hi,

I just want to inform everyone flying NRT to Europe via WAW, that after the transfer bus ride on WAW there is an extra full security check. As the NRT flight lands early, the security check is not always open so everyone will have to wait until 06.00 I think it was.
If you have a tight layover that might be troublesome. I could not see any fast track or priority line, but that was fine with me because I was first in line anyway. :-)
I guess that a seat on row 32 instead of our row 1 would easily have taken 30 minutes extra time.

Also, first post! Yay!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 3:56 am

Programs: LH HON
This isn’t specific to WAW. Any flight arriving from outside the EU, UK, US, Canada or Singapore is subject to reclear security in Europe
chris63, TPJ, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 5:45 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
If you are *G or fly in C, are EU national it is actually faster to clear passport control, go upstairs and use Fast Track. Tried and tested (for arrivals from US, though).
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 6:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by daumueller
This isn’t specific to WAW. Any flight arriving from outside the EU, UK, US, Canada or Singapore is subject to reclear security in Europe
But WAW AFAIK does not have the "no-check" transfer between non-Schengen and Schengen flights, like e.g. MUC and FRA (sometimes) do. I remember clearing security at least twice at WAW when arriving from YYZ.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 7:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Correct. Non-Schengen to non-Schengen - no security if arriving on a jetty position from 'clean' countries. Non-Schengen to Schengen - security required
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:35 am

Programs: M&M Senator
Standard - arriving from JFK to connect on to a domestic PL airport - you have to undergo an additional security check for carryon luggage. This differs from the experience in ZRH or FRA or MUC - where US inbound flights do not undergo additional security checks for carryon luggage.

KJPQuick Reply
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
True that, but what's specific for WAW is that the Security check was not open when the plane landed. ^^
:-)
Old Apr 18, 2023, 4:28 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by TKoos
True that, but what's specific for WAW is that the Security check was not open when the plane landed. ^^
i think they just try to give the notoriously slow crew at FRA a headstart and still win
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by TKoos
Had the same in FRA and CDG. In FRA, first off the plane after an early arrival I waited 5 minutes for transfer security to open. In CDG a couple of years ago I had to go landside and then go through regular security from the check-in hall, but in this case my arrival was according to schedule.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by MichielR
Had the same in FRA and CDG. In FRA, first off the plane after an early arrival I waited 5 minutes for transfer security to open. In CDG a couple of years ago I had to go landside and then go through regular security from the check-in hall, but in this case my arrival was according to schedule.
I had this in MUC pre pandemic, early arrival from HKG & transit security opened a few minutes later, funny thing was one of the FCL waiters was doing my security check, he was doing double shifts, Security & FCL
MichielR likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo is leaving on time and is generously blocked, that's why its arriving an hour early.

I don't see there being an issue as long as the OP means security, and not the border, even for Schengen. Where were you all herded off to to wait to transfer security to open?

If you were travelling non-Schengen that's nearly two hours connecting time and there is no border to cross.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 2:25 am

Programs: TP *S | FB Silver | LH
Dedicated Business Class Passport Control WAW (S>NS Transfers)

I have an upcoming short connection in WAW (LO domestic > LHR).

As I am a UK citizen, I need to go through the non-EU passport controls.

Last time I was transiting through WAW I noticed that there are some desks at passport control which I believe are priority for embassy staff (CD symbol).

It was touch and go for me to board my flight as the passport control queue was long and the agent had to check my documents with a supervisor (it was the first time she saw a PL residence card/visa from a benefiicary of the Article 50 Withdrawal Agreement)

Does anyone that flies more frequently from WAW know if there are any dedicated passport control desks for Business class ticket holders when moving schengen/non-schengen?
Old Apr 19, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by smbk83
I have an upcoming short connection in WAW (LO domestic > LHR).

As I am a UK citizen, I need to go through the non-EU passport controls.

Last time I was transiting through WAW I noticed that there are some desks at passport control which I believe are priority for embassy staff (CD symbol).

It was touch and go for me to board my flight as the passport control queue was long and the agent had to check my documents with a supervisor (it was the first time she saw a PL residence card/visa from a benefiicary of the Article 50 Withdrawal Agreement)

Does anyone that flies more frequently from WAW know if there are any dedicated passport control desks for Business class ticket holders when moving schengen/non-schengen?
There's no separate line for business class ticket holders. With PL residence card you can go to the EU queue, which should be shorter since most EU pax will use their passports. Not sure WAW e-passport gates allow using IDs/residency cards.
yurtripper likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 3:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
UK citizens may be able to use electronic gates to leave Schengen as well, so try that. It is possible in Schiphol definitely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.