Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Warsaw [WAW]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: M&M mainly
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm happy to report I made a scheduled 30 minute connection (VNO-WAW-OTP).

- Arrived from VNO on a Eurolot.com DH4 one minute late. We parked at a remote stand. There was a dedicated bus for Business and Premium Economy, though I wasn't either. The rest of us got into another bus and were dumped in the Schengen Area

- I hustled to Passport Control which had a line of two dozen people for each agent but the agent just glanced at the BP, then stamped my passport.

- I was flying out of gate 13 which is about the longest possible walk, all the way at the end of the Non-Schengen gates. They were paging me by name when I ran up to the jetway.

- "Boarding Completed" was announced after I got on, we left on time.

Amazingly, my bag which had been tagged with "Short Connection" made it too!
Congrats! And happy 2016!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:33 am

Have a 40 minute connection, both legs on Lot Polish. Arriving from IST, departing to KRK. I believe its doable but i'm sure it'll be a rush, I'll have to clear customs correct but shouldn't have to re-check my checked luggage?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:36 am

Yep. Luggage should go trough and you'll need to go trough immigration.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by utl567
Have a 40 minute connection, both legs on Lot Polish. Arriving from IST, departing to KRK. I believe its doable but i'm sure it'll be a rush, I'll have to clear customs correct but shouldn't have to re-check my checked luggage?
Very tight but WAW is an extremely easy airport and for domestic flights they often close doors 10 minutes before departure (especially when waiting for connecting passengers) meaning that, if all on time, you should be absolutely fine.

G
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
40 minutes? Now that's a LONG connection at WAW! A few months ago I managed to make a 29 minute connection (VNO-WAW-OTP) which included a bus gate and trip through customs. My bag even made it.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:08 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by utl567
No - baggage will be through checked - you clear customs in KRK. In WAW you only clear immigration and go through secutity check. 40 minute connection might be a challenge if you do not have an EU passport.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:56 pm

We have a 75 minute connection at WAW (if on time) from YYZ through WAW via LO42 onto BUD via LO535 and are wondering about the process and directions for transit. We have one checked bag and the ticketing is all LOT and all flights are LOT planes.

This thread indicates that 75 minutes should be more than enough time but as we are going from a non-Schengen country (Canada) through a Schengen country (Poland) to another Schengen country (Hungary) do we:

1. upon arrival at WAW go on the bus to passport control then
2. go to security check upstairs then
3. go to the gate for LO535?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:42 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by ftnewbie2004
1. upon arrival at WAW go on the bus to passport control then
Unlikely - all LO widebody aircraft use jetways

2. go to security check upstairs then
No - security is on the same level where Immigration is - so Immigration first, then Security, if you are lounge access eligible passenger, LO lounge is just behind Security - fairly convenient for transit passengers

3. go to the gate for LO535?
Yes - downstairs after security

PS> Everything is very simple in WAW - just follow the signs. There is a separate Security, if you are in transit to non-Schengen countries - don't use it - your Security is after Immigration.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I've just done a GVA-WAW-PEK return in J. My first time in WAW for connections, so I thought I'd report. The outbound GVA-WAW ended up parked in an apron position, but J passengers had their own minibus, so we were in the terminal very quickly. A very quick passport check (no-one in front of me) and I was pretty much in the Bolero lounge within 10 minutes of landing.
The 787 Dreamliner service is excellent. The J cabin is small, so good service.
On the return back from PEK to WAW, passport was ultra-rapid, but the airport was let down by a rather slow security line. The staff seemed efficient enough but the 2 lines moved very slowly. The LOT business lounge in the Schengen area is "sad", the Bolero lounge in the non-Schengen area, much nicer.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
The LOT business lounge in the Schengen area is "sad", the Bolero lounge in the non-Schengen area, much nicer.
What do you mean by sad? The Polonez lounge (especially the lounge-in-lounge) is much better catered the Bolero. But they do lack openness and natural light though.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:30 am

Hi,

Considering booking a short connection. LHR->WAW->KBP all on one PNR. LO282 on to LO753 with 45 min between. I remember WAW from years ago as being small, my real concern is that the LHR departure will be delayed as LHR departures often are. There is a PS departure 105 minutes later which is the last to KBP for the day. Would LOT re-accommodate on a non *A carrier in this case?
Old Sep 22, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by bonzo
Hi,

Considering booking a short connection. LHR->WAW->KBP all on one PNR. LO282 on to LO753 with 45 min between. I remember WAW from years ago as being small, my real concern is that the LHR departure will be delayed as LHR departures often are. There is a PS departure 105 minutes later which is the last to KBP for the day. Would LOT re-accommodate on a non *A carrier in this case?
They would if there's enough time. Considering both flights are non-schengen and LOT has a transfer center in the non-schengen part of the terminal, it should be doable.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / OW Emerald
I am worried my connection time is too short...

I have checked in luggage which I will have to collect and recheck in for the second flight...

First ticket ( British Airways)

London Heathrow > Warsaw - Arrive - Arrive 11.50 AM

Second ticket (LOT)

Warsaw > Wroclaw - Depart - 13.35 PM

Have I been too optimistic in being able to collect baggage and recheck in ?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by zeel
I am worried my connection time is too short...

I have checked in luggage which I will have to collect and recheck in for the second flight...

First ticket ( British Airways)

London Heathrow > Warsaw - Arrive - Arrive 11.50 AM

Second ticket (LOT)

Warsaw > Wroclaw - Depart - 13.35 PM

Have I been too optimistic in being able to collect baggage and recheck in ?
BA planes normally dock on to a jet-bridge at WAW, meaning that at least you will not have to wait for the bus to take you to passports/arrivals area; assuming no delays, you should be out by 12:30 and therefore still with a bit of time in order to re-check your bag and go through security (WAW is not that bad as there are a few security points, including a couple for status/business class passengers). Needless to say, though, even a slight delay could compromise your DIY connection hence you may want to consider a plan B e.g. collecting luggage, catching the commuter train to Zachodnia station and, from there, getting on a fast (Pendolino) train to Wrocław (reserving a seat on one of those services just prior to departure will not cost you a fortune like in Britain, however bear in mind that you can't buy tickets on-board).

I hope this helps.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Nov 4, 2016 at 7:25 am
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:45 pm
TPJ

While I fully agree with AlicorporateUK, plan B might also include checking Ryanair fares, when BA is late and you do not make your connection. FR now flies from WAW to WRO 3 times per day. I am not sure what their walk-in fares are or what the schedule is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.