Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FIRST on the 747 going from 16 to 8 from April 20th 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
What else do you want to do in those seats?
Fly the new BA first class seat and then you will understand what I mean.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LH/LX
Fly the new BA first class seat and then you will understand what I mean.
To lie back and think of England?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:47 pm

Do we have pics of this "new" configured LH 747?

I'm assuming the closet would need to be eliminated. I am not sure where you would put it upstairs on the 747.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by meFIRST

I'm assuming the closet would need to be eliminated. I am not sure where you would put it upstairs on the 747.
Still no pics.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 5:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by meFIRST
See posts #63-66 in this thread.

Closet? What closet?
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Current seat is great for sleeping.
Sure...if you like sleeping alongside someone you don't know [if you are flying alone] and an utter lack of privacy.

It is not a First Class Experience.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Closet? What closet?
The A380 has a personal closet for each F passenger. Opinion is there is no place to put a similar closet on the 744.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Sure...if you like sleeping alongside someone you don't know [if you are flying alone] and an utter lack of privacy.

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, I have been on most of the new F products out there on other carriers and yes the seat is outdated but the service more than makes up for it, and it is very comfortable. Not to mention the product has been around a while and they are going to change it. If you are so important that you need that much privacy fly a private jet or buy out the seat next to you
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by rolov

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard, I have been on most of the new F products out there on other carriers and yes the seat is outdated but the service more than makes up for it, and it is very comfortable. Not to mention the product has been around a while and they are going to change it. If you are so important that you need that much privacy fly a private jet or buy out the seat next to you
How is that the most absurd thing you've ever heard? You must not hear much.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:27 am

The A380 has a personal closet for each F passenger. Opinion is there is no place to put a similar closet on the 744.
AFAIK (based on this post by LHPII in another thread) a refurbished 744 will not have personal closets as on the A380 but there will be a drawer under the bed and the storage space at the top of the stairs will presumably remain. Therefore there will be more storage space than at present and no closet will be 'eliminated'.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by view
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How is that the most absurd thing you've ever heard? You must not hear much.
Spot on.

How can service make up for a bad seat or seat configuration ? I would expect LH to be on top in both.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by rolov
Some people just refuse to deal with a little reality.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
After looking at the comments on several threads, I thought it would be useful to post a compilation what several contributors (thank you LHPII , Hamallu, and others) reported about the new first class configuration in the B747-400 as we enter into the New Year.

There will be 11 744s receiving a F upgrade: 10 V-series and 1 T-series. These 11 aircraft will also receive the new Y seats with PTVs and Fly Net II. The first aircraft may be flying on/about April 22, 2011 according to posters and seat maps. The upgraded aircraft have subtype sign B74P. The remaining 744s will not be upgraded since they may go into a 2-class configuration or be destined for short to medium term phase-out.

Since hamallu reports that an upgrade will take 13 to 21 days (working days I assume) it will take 30-40 weeks to complete the 11 upgrades (assuming one plane being upgraded at a time), taking the process into the end of 2011 as reported. The process will go faster if more than one plane receives an upgrade at a time and as the technicians become more experienced in the process. The arrival of the four new A380s may free up more 744s for upgrades.

BTW…Somewhere out there, LH Technik has at least a mockup, or a full new 74P F cabin (all the better to calculate the last kilogram and centimeter) as the source of the pictures and for market testing.

As for the seat (“suite-equivalent”), it will be in the same color scheme and materials as we see in the pictures of the A380 cabin. It will not be as isolated as the SQ product or have the retractable privacy screen as the LH A380 seat. It will have a fixed bed by the window, with a fixed privacy screen between it and the seat. It will have storage space under the bed rather than in the ottoman that will be present only in the A380. The bed ought to be wider that the current seat (since we lose the massive armrests) perhaps going up to 32 inches, which will please all of us side-sleepers.

The seat itself looks like the new A380 First class seat except that there is no ottoman, with new seat shell, seat shape, padding and covers brought to a new First class A380 standard. It will have the same platform / actuator / seat mechanism, and probably have narrower armrests. The current 744 seat is 21 inches wide and the A380 seat is 31.5 inches wide, so I hope and expect the upgraded 74P seat to be wider (which will please me to no end (pardon the pun) as both passengers and planes can be wide-bodied). The seat will also receive the new large PTV known from A380.

Now for the bad news for those of us flying in the early stages of the upgrade in the spring. (The AZ Boomer crew of three flying ORD-FRA on 1 June and return on 20 June) We should expect nothing more than a blocked window seat. If we “hit the lottery” and get an upgraded cabin we will be pleasantly surprised and will report on our findings in this forum. On our seat map, the preferred seats according to LH are currently 81C, 83C, & 83H. We are currently in those seats (me moved from 83A to 81C). From different posters, it appears that grabbing 81C, 81H, and 82H may be preferable (unless I want to keep my distance from the rest of the family ).

Happy New Year and safe travels.

Last edited by AZ Boomer; Jan 1, 2011 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Those flights are best avoided anyway if you want to get some rest !
(There are some real troublemakers in that picture btw )
Yes- the same mods who think the current response from LH to FT is OK- and post messages asking us not to make assumptions-surely we have a very good feedback mechanism now- gee- I wonder how that happened? Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
It will have a fixed bed by the window, with a fixed privacy screen between it and the seat.
So no F window seats on the new LH B74P? Not good for those who like to look out the window in flight. I would have preferred a single convertable pod seat next to the window (ala TG and OZ) to this set up; although the new ANA First Square F seat has it, and only allows for only one window...

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/svc/w_en/seat/index_f.html

SunLover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.