Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FIRST on the 747 going from 16 to 8 from April 20th 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Exclamation Getting Back on Topic

At long last, LH updated their website concerning first class for the fleet. The following is the address for the B747-400:

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/portal/lh/us/info_and_services/on_board?nodeid=3276594&l=en&cid=1000390&blt_p=US& blt_l=en&blt_t=Info_and_Services>On_Board&blt_e=Co ntent&blt_n=Sitting%20and%20sleeping&blt_z=B747-400%20First%20Class&blt_c=US%7Cen%7CInfo_and_Servi ces%3EOn_Board%7CContent%7CSitting%20and%20sleepin g%7CB747-400%20First%20Class

The text from the web site follows:
From May 2011 the Lufthansa Boeing 747-400 will welcome you with new First Class seats and twice as much room for each passenger. Eight comfortable, generously sized seats and separate beds will make it easy for you to arrive at your destination feeling relaxed and rested.

By winter 2011, ten B747-400s will be fitted with new First Class seats and fixed, separate beds. On all the remaining Lufthansa B747-400s, the seating capacity in First Class will be reduced from 16 seats to eight with effect from May 2011. This will enable passengers to enjoy twice as much room and more exclusivity within the current board configuration as the seat next to them will be kept free.

The new First Class seat on board the Lufthansa B747-400 will impress you with its ergonomic shape, the way it adjusts easily to your preferred seating position and a height-adjustable headrest. The high-quality cover that is kind to your skin ensures the seat remains comfortable even on long flights.

On board the Lufthansa B747-400, as well as your comfortable First Class seat, there is a separate bed over two metres long available to you. This comes with a top-quality mattress, a temperature-regulating duvet and a pillow. A fixed screen at the head of the bed provides the privacy you need to sleep.

Thanks to the soundproof curtains which effectively screen First Class from the background noise within the aircraft, you can enjoy a good night’s sleep in peace and quiet. Sound insulation under the carpet also reduces the sound of footsteps within the First Class cabin itself.

You can, of course, also put together your very own programme of entertainment from Lufthansa Media World on board the Lufthansa B747-400. Your personal 17 inch screen and noise-cancelling headset ensure an entertainment experience second to none.

Thanks to the large, swivel-mounted table and laptop power connection at each seat, you can also work undisturbed above the clouds or prepare for your next meeting. These Boeing aircraft are also being gradually fitted out with FlyNet®, our on-board Internet service.
The pictures look simular to those previously posted. It looks good.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by mrswirl
I am curious to know if I will be permitted to go upstairs once or twice to visit during the flight
Doubtful, but I'm sure it'll be fine for your wife to come downstairs and visit you in C.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by mrswirl
Hello all - I have a somewhat strange question that is made relevant due to the new 744 conversions....

I am a UA 1K and have never flown LH before but redeemed a bunch of miles to take my family to Europe this summer. We are going from DEN-FRA in late May on LH447 which is currently scheduled to be a 744.

After reading this thread I realize now why F availability is suddenly so limited as I was only able to book 2 F awards and 1 C. Right now the wife is in 81C and son is 81H. I am in the Capt. Kirk chair downstairs - 4D.

I am hoping that LH will open up some more F award inventory before departure (still F4 at the moment) but if that doesn't happen, I am curious to know if I will be permitted to go upstairs once or twice to visit during the flight or if standard protocol strictly prohibits that.

Secondly (and the reason why this is relevant to this thread), since it is highly unlikely that this plane will have the new F seats by then, I am wondering if I might be allowed to "hang out" in the now blocked window seat next to my wife for some of the flight since we now know that those seats will be unoccupied.

I certainly wouldn't expect F service or amenities in this case- I'm just curious to know if the FAs are typically very strict about staying in your ticketed cabin or if there might be some liberty depending on the flight crew and given the situation where we know that the seat next to my wife will be vacant.

As I said, I've never flown LH before but I hear stories that crew are typically very strict about the rules. On UA at least, the FAs will usually permit you to visit with companions among the cabins as long as you're not being a nuisance.

Otherwise, I am really looking forward to our first International F/C experience on LH.
I remember back in the late 90s/early 00s, my father was flying F and my brother and I were flying Y and we were allowed to come up there for a bit. I even got to have some of his lobster starter rather than have to eat whatever was being served in Y (see where my obsession started?). He was also a very frequent flier and pretty much got away with whatever he wanted, so I'm not sure if that played a part.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:41 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Brett Snyder has put up a photo on Flickr and some comments on his blog today.

It's a better photo than any I've seen before.

Apologies if this has already been linked to in one of the other 35 threads covering this topic (I briefly checked three of them).
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Some more photos on Business Traveller's flickr page though the article in the publication is somewhat confusing.

Thanks to N830MH for posting the link in another thread. ^
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: QF,US,ANA
I am flying F , BKK-FRA-MIA in early June , is there much chance of getting the new F class or will it be the old 16 seat cabin ?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Some more photos on Business Traveller's flickr page though the article in the publication is somewhat confusing.

Thanks to N830MH for posting the link in another thread. ^
Help , I won't be able to smell the rose from it's new location , and now I actually have to decide when to sleep
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ianp
I am flying F , BKK-FRA-MIA in early June , is there much chance of getting the new F class or will it be the old 16 seat cabin ?
Crystal ball time.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Crystal ball time.
My crystal ball says, "Less than 1 in 3 chance."

The crystal ball is often more useful for bowling than prediction.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by snic
My crystal ball says, "Less than 1 in 3 chance."

The crystal ball is often more useful for bowling than prediction.
Much worse odds according to my crystal ball.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Forget your balls for a moment. I think it's time for a summary ...

Can some kind person offer an insight into the number of coverted B747s in the fleet by April/May?

I fear this is going to turn into a (slightly) speeded up version of the last C-class upgrade saga.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I fear this is going to turn into a (slightly) speeded up version of the last C-class upgrade saga.
lets assume one 747 is converted when it goes down to 8 end of april, that leaves 9 to be converted until the end of the year. thats one every four weeks roughly. i don't think the converted ones will be the issue, the ones not getting the upgrade but staying the fleet will be the problem...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Forget your balls for a moment..
I beg your pardon?
I agree with Sentom. I'm worried about the 747s which will go to a C/Y configuration....and the routes those will go on.

Will they actually replace the F seats with C seats on the UD or simply assign those seats to status customers as C?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Will they actually replace the F seats with C seats on the UD or simply assign those seats to status customers as C?
Perhaps they can install the existing C seats with more pitch so they can go fully horizontal?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Perhaps they can install the existing C seats with more pitch so they can go fully horizontal?
Isn't the plan to upgrade the entire fleet's C seats eventually? Presumably this would mean horizontal lie-flat, as that's becoming the global standard for intercontinental business class...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.