Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Basics about the evoucher:

Number of eVouchers needed per segment:
- Upgrade a shorthaul segment = 1 eVoucher
- Upgrade a longhaul segment (Longhaul= LH400-799)
- From Economy Class (other than K, L, T) to Business Class = 2 eVouchers
- From Economy Class K, L, T to Business Class = 3 eVouchers
- From Economy Class (other than K, L, T) to Premium Economy Class = 1 eVoucher
- From Economy Class K, L, T to Premium Economy Class = 2 eVouchers
- From Premium Economy G, E to Business Class = 1 eVoucher
- From Premium Economy N to Business Class = 2 eVouchers
- From Business Class to First Class = 2 eVouchers (although the website says 3 eVouchers, it will be corrected in due course)

Upgrade awards may be booked online with LH, OS, LX, SN, LO and Discover, or you can call to upgrade.
Alternatively, you can book at the check-in counter. Not all airlines offer immediate upgrades at the airport.
Evouchers can be used on any ticketed PNR, even if the flight operates after the date of expiry of the evoucher.
Evouchers can be redeemed with all Star Alliance partners - depending on the destination, airline, travel class and booking class.
For a list of award regions go to https://www.miles-and-more.com/row/e...formation.html and scroll down to select Your worldwide flight destinations with Miles & More.

How long do eVouchers remain valid?
- All eVouchers are valid for 24 months.
- none of your eVouchers will expire until 31.03.2024. This also applies to eVouchers that were re-credited after the cancellation of a flight.

With an eVoucher, you travel one class higher [link to general eVoucher information]
Print Wikipost

Miles & More eVoucher upgrade Questions [merged Q&A]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: LH FF*, A3, EK, CX
Originally Posted by JFSV
Apologies for what is probably an easy question, but I have not found a clear answer based on prior replies. I need to do FRA-NYC in Business in a couple of months, for 3 passengers (myself, wife and daughter). I would do paid J myself (work trip), and then cash ticket in Premium Eco for wife and daughter, to be all ideally on the same flight, and so as to apply one evoucher for each of them per leg to upgrade to business. I do not have evouchers myself, but my boss has a few that will expire soon so he has kindly offered.

Having said this, from what I have read, there is no way to guarantee that the evoucher will clear the upgrade, correct? For context, I have looked award availability for the flights I want using miles for a simple flight reward and it is showing 0 availability in J. In this specific case I assume there would be no chances for the evoucher to clear, at least instantly, correct?

I am trying to get some certainty on whether the upgrade will work before purchasing all tickets, as otherwise I may choose a different starting point (instead of Germany) if overall I have to spend the same or less amount but with the guarantee that we will all be flying J.

Thanks!
yes, no guarantee at all, even for Senator status. About one month back i was traveling from NYC to VIE and was waitlisted for J, -2 departure the LH APP said i was upgraded by eVoucher however when checked in at counter there is no upgrade at all and LH refund the eVouchers. so for me thats kind of hit or miss. quite useless when traveling in high season.
good luck.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by FlyingJazzy
yes, no guarantee at all, even for Senator status. About one month back i was traveling from NYC to VIE and was waitlisted for J, -2 departure the LH APP said i was upgraded by eVoucher however when checked in at counter there is no upgrade at all and LH refund the eVouchers. so for me thats kind of hit or miss. quite useless when traveling in high season.
good luck.
That’s an unusual one, when your upgrade clears your normally sent an email confirmation, the vouchers are taken from your account, at that point your in J, reversing that later is a downgrade
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: LH SEN
good luck.
So you saw in M&M app that the eVouchers were deducted but your booking did not change in LH systems?

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year and the explanation supplied to me was that around 3 days prior to the flight if you are still waitlisted they pre-emptively deduct the voucher(s) or points so that your upgrade can be cleared easily at any time right up to boarding and even on the aircraft (in the case of a no-show).

For me the first I knew of the upgrade clearing was getting handed a new boarding pass at the gate. Sounds like you lucked out this time.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by chris63
That’s an unusual one, when your upgrade clears your normally sent an email confirmation, the vouchers are taken from your account, at that point your in J, reversing that later is a downgrade
to be honest i don't recall email was received. but i did see the evoucher was deducted. at checkin counter, the OS staff was not friendly at all with no explanation when i mentioned about my upgrade, checked our bags and handed me the BP. that was how it was done.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by supine
So you saw in M&M app that the eVouchers were deducted but your booking did not change in LH systems?

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year and the explanation supplied to me was that around 3 days prior to the flight if you are still waitlisted they pre-emptively deduct the voucher(s) or points so that your upgrade can be cleared easily at any time right up to boarding and even on the aircraft (in the case of a no-show).

For me the first I knew of the upgrade clearing was getting handed a new boarding pass at the gate. Sounds like you lucked out this time.
the given explanation sounds reasonable. see the screenshot taken from my M&M account.
this is my first time i go so far with eVoucher. in the past years, to upgrade with eVoucher used to require high booking class of which i normally can not reach. Amen.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to be honest i don't recall email was received. but i did see the evoucher was deducted. at checkin counter, the OS staff was not friendly at all with no explanation when i mentioned about my upgrade, checked our bags and handed me the BP. that was how it was done.
If you didn't receive an email & your booking wasn’t changed to business I then i suspect Supine has the answer, that they preemptively deducted the evouchers & then returned them when an upgrade wasn’t possible on the day.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by chris63
If you didn't receive an email & your booking wasn’t changed to business I then i suspect Supine has the answer, that they preemptively deducted the evouchers & then returned them when an upgrade wasn’t possible on the day.
yes, i believe that is the case.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: Qatar, Emirates, Lufthansa, Aegean
Hello everyone. I just booked a Mileage Bargain award ticket from FRA to MEX in December in Business (shows as Class I on the booking confirmation) and I'm wondering if I can use e-vouchers to upgrade to First. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Not possible, an award ticket cannot be upgraded with e-Vouchers.
If you want to fly in F you book an award flight in F. Paid Business Class ticket can be upgraded with e-vouchers.
Perhaps you can try to upgrade it directly at the airport or the gate with cash, but I don't know if it works with an award ticket.
alvertos likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by andywaw
If you want to fly in F you book an award flight in F. Paid Business Class ticket can be upgraded with e-vouchers.
Perhaps you can try to upgrade it directly at the airport or the gate with cash, but I don't know if it works with an award ticket.
A few years ago I was flying EZE-FRA on a Biz award ticket and they offered upgrades to F for all classes, including I, but it is the only time I have seen it on LH/LX.
alvertos likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, they would take cash at the airport if space is available but likely to be expensive
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by more4less
A few years ago I was flying EZE-FRA on a Biz award ticket and they offered upgrades to F for all classes, including I, but it is the only time I have seen it on LH/LX.
For vouchers? Miles? Cash?
They offered online before your flight?
Or they offered at the gate/on board?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
For vouchers? Miles? Cash?
They offered online before your flight?
Or they offered at the gate/on board?
There was a sign at the Check In desk and it was only 600€.

I would have jumped on it but I was flying with my boss and I knew he would never consider it, so no chance(first world problems).
Old Aug 22, 2022, 12:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by alvertos
Hello everyone. I just booked a Mileage Bargain award ticket from FRA to MEX in December in Business (shows as Class I on the booking confirmation) and I'm wondering if I can use e-vouchers to upgrade to First. Thanks in advance!
Not possible with evouchers, but you can submit a cash bid via myoffer.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: Qatar, Emirates, Lufthansa, Aegean
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Not possible with evouchers, but you can submit a cash bid via myoffer.
Unfortunately this does not seem possible, on the menu it says "Upgrade not available", although First Class seats are available on the flight. I guess this booking class is not even available for upgrade bids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.