Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Since I'll be going to spending 1 to 2 days in LAX for some photos shooting, mainly I would liike to spot most of the International arrivals & departures.

Besides the recommendations at Imperial Hill & In-N-Out Burger at 9149 South Sepulveda Blvd, any other airport hotels that is nearby In-N-Out Burger also would most of you are high recommend?

One of the main reason for that is if I can take the photos insde the hotel room, I can have my broadband Internat connect & airband radio turn on in order to monitor all the arrivals, & the best is no cops will bothering you...!

I already heard someone tolf me that Radisson & Embassy Suites would be a good choice, is that true?
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
Since I'll be going to spending 1 to 2 days in LAX for some photos shooting, mainly I would liike to spot most of the International arrivals & departures.

Besides the recommendations at Imperial Hill & In-N-Out Burger at 9149 South Sepulveda Blvd, any other airport hotels that is nearby In-N-Out Burger also would most of you are high recommend?

One of the main reason for that is if I can take the photos insde the hotel room, I can have my broadband Internat connect & airband radio turn on in order to monitor all the arrivals, & the best is no cops will bothering you...!

I already heard someone tolf me that Radisson & Embassy Suites would be a good choice, is that true?
Yes, those are most definately the best choices for you. Unfortunately the views aren't as spectatular as you might imagine. Imperial Hill and the infamous In-and-Out still wins it out for me, even if it is outdoors. I've always got my laptop, scanner and binocs. The cops won't bother you if you are honest and confident.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
A block up Sepulveda from the In-N-Out is a Long's Drug Store and a Ralph's Supermarket. There is rooftop parking and a pretty unobstructed view of the north complex.

Here's some photos from the roof of The Parking Spot, which is a block closer to the runways:

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 20, 2011 at 5:26 pm
Old Jan 3, 2007, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
A block up Sepulveda from the In-N-Out is a Long's Drug Store and a Ralph's Supermarket. There is rooftop parking and a pretty unobstructed view of the north complex.
Yeah, where is it? I'm curious if we can go to LAX for good spotting near In-N-Out burger. I am never been in LAX for spotting lot of aircraft incoming LAX. I saw AF, QF, NZ, VS, CA and lot of more international flights came in LAX. I will try to good spotting near LAX.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Some hotel thoughts for plane-watching here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594394
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:52 am
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH

If you intend to sit in the hotel, then the Embassy Suites is probably your best bet to capture photos of the south complex- ask for a high, north-facing room. If you want to be outside, a short walk west on Imperial Avenue will bring you to a lookout point (Imperial Hill?) specifically for plane-watching. Complete with benches and telescopes. Cops wouldn't bother you at this vantage point.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2022 at 9:15 pm Reason: Fix BB code
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
...any other airport hotels that is nearby In-N-Out Burger also would most of you are high recommend?
Unfortunately there aren't any hotels that are conveniently located near the In-N-Out. In a few of my stays in the Four Points, I've been tempted to walk down W 96th St., pass the transit center and Lot C, go up Sepulveda to get to the In-N-Out but never really bothered on account of laziness and the fact it can be a bit of a trek.

If you really don't want to walk all the way from the hotel to the In-N-Out, you can always hop on the hotel's complimentary shuttles to LAX and from there, there's at least two choices that I utilize: A) the Parking Spot Shuttle to the Sepulveda garage (keep an eye out on the shuttle's destination: do NOT take the one to Century) which is just right next door to the In-N-Out. The folks at Parking Spot don't like having passengers that aren't using their parking services so beware when taking this alternative. And that's where the "less risky, but more walking" alternative B comes around. You can take a shuttle to Lot C and from there, you can walk north on Sepulveda to get to the In-N-Out.

Another nice planespotting location is the Proud Bird Restaurant which is just east of the south runways. Never tried that place yet but I've heard good things about it.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Probably not too great a place for pix, but good for plane watching: Proud Birds Restraunt . It's just south of 25R/L, so you'll have all the views of int'l arrivals you want.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:33 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Any particular spot for great airplane shots?

Hi,

I will have about 3 hours layover in LAX (1:30p-4:30P) and would like to get suggestions on good spots for plane watching and picture taking. I tried doing a search and was not very successful. Now, I've heard that the parking lot of "In and Out" is great and I know how to get there (Sepulveda Spot parking), but are there any other suggestions? What about the place where the bus terminal is located? I don't believe there are observation decks in LAX, and the closest thing to that was Encounters which is closed.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:54 pm
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH
There is an overlook of the south runways from Imperial Avenue in El Segundo. There are benches and telescopes set there for that purpose. It's a short cab ride, but minimum $15 fare. I'd suggest taking the Embassy Suites shuttle and then walking the quarter mile or so to the viewing area.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:00 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
1. The bar at the Radisson (free shuttle bus, liquor license, takes plastic).
2. The top floors of the parking garage at 2240 E. Imperial Highway (need a car to get there, pay garage, coffee shop on ground floor 7A-2P).
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Next to the Parking Spot Sepulveda is a Longs Drug Store with rooftop parking. It offers nice views of the north side of LAX.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is your official arrival time 1:30 and departure time 4:30?

If so, you might be going through more trouble than it's worth.

If you arrive on time at 1:30, at best you'll make it to Imperial Hill at 2:00p. If you're departing flight is 4:30, it'll board at 4:00...meaning you should be back to LAX by 3:30-3:45 (for security).

You'll have about an hour to watch planes, and I guess that's sufficient, but to me it seems like a lot more work than it's worth.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 4:18 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I'll be arriving with Delta Connection from SFO at 1:10P and returning on Virgin at 4:00P. - Might not be worth going to Imperial Hill on second thought.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Take the Parking Spot Shuttle and go to In-N-Out. Great views see photos and info on this thread http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744577

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.