The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Note: flight arrives 1 hour "later" during daylight savings time . So the SQ12 example below where I noted it arrives around 11:30 AM will now arrive 12:30 PM local time

This is accurate as of 8-Feb-2012:

SQ12 SIN-NRT-LAX lands at around 1:30PM daily. Usually south runway (spot from Imperial Hill or Proud Bird restaurant) but sometimes on the north runway (spot from In-N-Out). Edit: SQ12 schedule may have been adjusted. I saw it land at 11:30AM at north runway 3 times last week (week of 20-Feb-2012) while eating at In-N-Out.

KE17 ICN-LAX lands at around 9:00~9:30AM daily. Usually north runway (In-N-Out).

QF11 SYD-LAX lands around 9:00~9:30AM daily. Usually north runway (In-N-Out).

QF93 MEL-LAX lands around 6:30AM daily during winter time. Usually north runway (In-N-Out).

QF11 is known to arrive early during favorable tail wind. QF93 arrives 1 hour later in summer time (Australia has its own daylight saving time that is not in sync with US daylight savings times so sometimes the flight arrives "extra" late but that is just due to the quirk of departure time being different in Australia).

Last edited by bzcat; Mar 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:52 pm

Thank you for the info......

Which location (north or south) is better for spotting?? From what I have read, it appears as though the In-n-Out is best.....but, just wanted to make sure I was in the correct location (since my Navy TAD trips from Florida to California are far and few between)......Thanks, John
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Johnusnsd
Thank you for the info......

Which location (north or south) is better for spotting?? From what I have read, it appears as though the In-n-Out is best.....but, just wanted to make sure I was in the correct location (since my Navy TAD trips from Florida to California are far and few between)......Thanks, John
In n Out is right next to the north runway.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:34 am

North is definitely better because it is much closer to the touchdown zone for 24R. If you are staying at LAX hotels along Century Blvd, it is a short walk to In-N-Out. Plus you can sit on the patio of In-N-Out and enjoy a fine meal while you spot.There is a park next to In-N-Out with trees to provide some shade while you wait. Plus easy walk to Starbucks, Panera Bread, Trader Joe's and lots of restaurants if you don't like burgers.

The south runway spotting locations are all kind of isolated and doesn't have retail amenities (and bathroom!) in walking distance. You also have to drive there for the most part.

Google Map link:

In-N-Out (north runway 24R): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=9149+S...90045&t=h&z=17

Proud Bird (south runway 25L): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Proud+...s,+CA&t=h&z=16

Imperial Hill (south runway 25L): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=420+Ea...90245&t=h&z=19

Last edited by bzcat; Feb 9, 2012 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
North is definitely better because it is much closer to the touchdown zone for 24R. If you are staying at LAX hotels along Century Blvd, it is a short walk to In-N-Out. Plus you can sit on the patio of In-N-Out and enjoy a fine meal while you spot.There is a park next to In-N-Out with trees to provide some shade while you wait. Plus easy walk to Starbucks, Panera Bread, Trader Joe's and lots of restaurants if you don't like burgers.

The south runway spotting locations are all kind of isolated and doesn't have retail amenities (and bathroom!) in walking distance. You also have to drive there for the most part.

True. But one thing to note The south side viewing area ( Imperial hill) has a much better view of the whole airport operation, then the north side.

HP
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HighPotter
True. But one thing to note The south side viewing area ( Imperial hill) has a much better view of the whole airport operation, then the north side.

HP
I recently discovered another spot to plane spot. Believe this is closest to the South runways. Parking lot of the Flight Path Museum on Imperial Highway. A quick google search will provide exact location.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by daiseee
I recently discovered another spot to plane spot. Believe this is closest to the South runways. Parking lot of the Flight Path Museum on Imperial Highway. A quick google search will provide exact location.
Expect to be hassled by airport police if you spot there. The "no loitering" sign is prominently displayed at the Flight Path Museum parking lot.

However, if you go inside the museum, the view is even better. You can see the Imperial terminal up close (for charter flights... I was there just before the Rose Bowl and saw the Wisconsin band unloading from a DL 747 the old fashion way - down a stair car).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
anyone know whether sandpiper lane in surfridge ever reopen?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Is in and out a good location for watching take-offs or more for landings?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by frebay
Is in and out a good location for watching take-offs or more for landings?
Landings, only on very rare occasions do planes take off to the East out of LAX as prevailing winds are coming in from the ocean.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by edscholl
anyone know whether sandpiper lane in surfridge ever reopen?
Still closed and gated.

HP
Old May 9, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Just a quick list of LAX A 380's LANDINGS

Seems starting in June there will be 4 or 5 a day.

All checked for the date June 13

QF 93 6:55AM
QF 11 9:45AM
KE 17 10:25AM
AF 66 1:10pm
SQ 12 1:30PM

Not all flights operate every day. AF I believe starts in June (thinking on taking it from CDG - but Rome was simply easier)

EF is easy to check these on.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:39 pm

The above noted time are for daily savings time. During winter months when the US are on standard time, the SQ and KE flights arrive 1 hour "early".

Australia has its own daylight saving time that is not in sync with US daylight savings times so sometimes the flight arrives extra "late" during the first couple of weeks of US daylight savings time but that is just due to the quirk of departure time being different in Australia per US clocks. It adjusts quickly when Australia goes on standard time and restore the extra 1 hour in the schedule.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Do the A380's all take off on 24L or do they take off from 25R as well?
Old May 10, 2012, 12:30 pm

They use both runways for take off. When A380 service first began with QF, they always use 25R because QF prefers the south side A380 gate. But now they use both sides. Just depends on the logistic of that particular day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.