Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2008, 2:11 pm

LAX - Airplane Viewing areas

Folks,
I am headed to LAX the next weekend for some widebody takeoffs and landings from up close. I do know of the In and Out Burger joint near LAX which I am sure to spend a few hours at. What are the best hours to spot heavies? Also any other "legally OK" areas around the airport for some great views?
Appreciate it guys!
N
Old May 10, 2008, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personal opinion, only, but I think one of the most exciting places to view planes at LAX is in the long term parking lots, C and, particularly, B. They abut the runways and planes fly over so low you feel like you can reach out and touch them. I've always been meaning to bring my video camera so that I can shoot some "B-roll" for future travel videos.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:17 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Was at In and Out last weekend around 11:00 AM. Many jumbo jets were arriving around that time from Asia. Great fun sitting outdoors. ^
Old May 10, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
For takeoffs, try Dockweiler State Beach which is right at the foot of the runways.

Heck, there's even an RV park there if you want to treat it to the full NASCAR excess...
Old May 17, 2009, 9:12 pm

How to see A380 at LAX?

Hi I am traveling to LAX for from Thurs 11pm to Mon 9pm this memorial day weekend. I am trying to figure out how to see the A380 take off (or land). I have searched the Qantas website and can't really figure out from that what the good times are.

Does anyone happen to know? Also, where should one drive to get a good view?

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Flight 11 from Sydney is an A380 on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. Scheduled arrival is at 0945. Someone else will have to recommend a spot. Best view would be from the Encounter restaurant, but it doesn't open until 11 AM. The plane departs as Flight 12 at 2230. You could go to the beach at Marina del Rey, but I'm not sure if there will be enough light to see it, and if it's foggy, all bets are off.

You should be able to see it at the gate from T4 on Monday. Best view is from the Admiral's Club.

For info on the schedule, go to Qantas.com-->Fly-->A380-->View Implentation Schedule. You'll have to scroll down to see the implementation link from the A380 page. You can turn off the annoying music on the A380 page from the top left corner of the graphic.

Flight 93/94 from/to Melbourne is also a 380 on Mondays and Wednesdays, but it has all the same issues with arrival and departure times, plus you won't be there on those days.
Old May 19, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Originally Posted by akap16isme
Hi I am traveling to LAX for from Thurs 11pm to Mon 9pm this memorial day weekend. I am trying to figure out how to see the A380 take off (or land). I have searched the Qantas website and can't really figure out from that what the good times are.

Does anyone happen to know? Also, where should one drive to get a good view?
Since I believe that all A-380 landings are on runway 24-L, you could go to In-N-Out Burger for breakfast, and let it fly over you!
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:54 am

How to see the A380 land

Hello, I would like to see an Airbus A380 land at LAX.
Looks like the only schedule I could find was Qantas flight 11 arrives at 9:50 am local time.

What runway does it typically use? Would it land at the north runways (nearest the In-N-Out?)

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2010, 12:06 pm

Talking Lax plane spotting

Hello,

I am a new member and plan on visiting this site often. Been
enjoying bouncing around the site.

I heard the the Radisson hotel is the closest to LAX and you
can watch LAX action and planes from certain rooms. Was
wondering if anyone has advice for which floor or actual room
number(s) I can request that will ensure us beSt view of planes
from our room.

I'm going to surprise my husband with this get-a-way this coming
weekend and this is something we have always wanted to do!

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

RUDDFAN4EVR
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
Will you have a car? If so, head to Imperial Blvd, which is directly on the south side of the airport and drive toward the ocean. You'll see a hill on the left side of the road that is excellent for plane watching. You'll find a few benches installed just for that purchase and most likely some folks having picnics there watching the planes.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, happyjackaz1. I am going to move your thread over to the LAX Forum for discussion. May I suggest that you also take a look at the Radisson Hotel Forum (Miles & Points>Hotel Programs>Radisson). Folks who are familiar with the Radisson at LAX may be able to answer your questions re: specific areas in the hotel.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:51 pm

Much thanks!

Looking for a hotel for the upcoming weekend to
hopefully spot froom our hotel window!

Thanks again!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The rooms on the northwest side of the Raddison will have good views of Runways 24L annd 24R; they start just across Sepulveda Blvd. from the Radisson. The views from the south side of the hotel are of Runways 25L and 25R. They start about a mile before the Raddison, so you will see the larger planes right around the point where they are lifting off.

You can also make a five minute walk up Sepulveda to a small park that is adjacent to the In-N-Out burger which is directly under the flight path of 24R.

The following thread may also be of help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ns-thread.html
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:05 pm

Thanks so much for the advice! Which side do you think is better
for in room viewing?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd probably go with the northwest side; it's pretty loud and a lot of heavies land on 24R. They are pretty much eye level if you are on one of the higher floors of the hotel as they go by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.