Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nerd
Thanks but too convoluted to find anything there specifically and the search function is wonky at best.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corky
There used to be a strip club around there. I can find out the name if you are interested.
Why not go to Proud Bird around 5 or 6, have drinks for an hour at that outside patio where we sat and then go someplace else for dinner? Sunset is usually around 545 and they have been spectacular lately.
That's too early. I don't know why they close so early. Let me guess it's probably "staffing issues. I'm staying at the Westin on Century Blvd with a north facing window but would be nicer if I had a southern facing window as that runway seems to get more heavies landing. Anyway the damn windows are so dirty here I can't tell the difference between a mad dog landing and a horseshoe fly. Staffing issues?
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
literally the first result of a google search:
https://la.eater.com/2022/1/11/22878...-intel-morning
corky likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
That's too early. I don't know why they close so early. Let me guess it's probably "staffing issues. I'm staying at the Westin on Century Blvd with a north facing window but would be nicer if I had a southern facing window as that runway seems to get more heavies landing. Anyway the damn windows are so dirty here I can't tell the difference between a mad dog landing and a horseshoe fly. Staffing issues?
Maybe they close early because they just aren't a dinner destination restaurant. They probably do a decent lunch business because of workers in the area and they used to hold corporate events but not much happening. It is a big place...why should they staff a big place without a customer base? I don't see a problem with going while it is still light out for good viewing.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe they close early because they just aren't a dinner destination restaurant. They probably do a decent lunch business because of workers in the area and they used to hold corporate events but not much happening. It is a big place...why should they staff a big place without a customer base? I don't see a problem with going while it is still light out for good viewing.
when you and I met it was after 7 and the place was packed.

the other link was a bar at the Hyatt house. I’m looking for a stand alone non hotel.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Probably.

Completely unrelated to the hotel industry, but regarding the staffing issues. During the pandemic, it has been almost impossible to get appointments for doctors and tests. Two weeks ago, my doctor's nurse was explaining. The schools would shut without warning - and the staffing would drop from six nurses to one overnight because someone had to stay home with the kids because the daycare situation was also impacted. Wash, rinse, repeat.

If the window washers have kids and have to take time off every time school is cancelled or daycare shuts down, then the windows don't get washed.

I was in Hilo over the holidays, due to fly back via Honolulu. I got a call the day of departure suggesting I seriously consider coming to the airport ASAP to stand by for an earlier flight. There were three flights later than mine, but they were quite sure at least one, possibly all three, would be cancelled because of staffing issues in Honolulu.
corky likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:02 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
As this will get more appropriate replies in the Los Angeles forum, please continue to follow there. Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by exerda
As this will get more appropriate replies in the Los Angeles forum, please continue to follow there. Thanks!
I have merged the incoming thread into The Consolidated LAX Plane Spotting/Viewing Thread.

TWA884
Moderator, Los Angeles forum
Old Mar 10, 2022, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when you and I met it was after 7 and the place was packed.

the other link was a bar at the Hyatt house. I’m looking for a stand alone non hotel.
It was still light out so I am sure it was close to summer...now it gets dark aftrr 6 and is chilly to sit outside at night without heat lamps.
It seemed that all those people knew each other so I assumed it was a corporate event...i don't think the dining room was open. And it was pre covid.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

You asked for a place for planespotting. You didn't specify non hotel. I think it sounds interesting & the pic in the article shows a good view. It even has happy hour prices, which should appeal to your frugal sense. It's open from 4pm-midnight. If you don't go there, maybe corky can stop by some time & check it out/report back.

"There’s a new rooftop restaurant and bar to know about near LAX, hiding in the shadows of the setting sun and floating airliners. ShoresLAX is now open at Hyatt Place with open-air views to the tarmac from a 15th-floor rooftop that also includes a pool. This is still semi-casual dining for Westside hotel guests and locals alike, so expect fish tacos, a roast chicken with figs and root vegetables, short rib over risotto, and the like. Cocktails are also on offer, as are happy hour price reductions and (soon) weekend brunch. "

A New Rooftop Restaurant and Bar Near LAX Offers Sunset Aviation Views

Old Mar 10, 2022, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
There used to be a strip club around there. I can find out the name if you are interested.
Why not go to Proud Bird around 5 or 6, have drinks for an hour at that outside patio where we sat and then go someplace else for dinner? Sunset is usually around 545 and they have been spectacular lately.
Was down the block from the Proud Bird - also had a avian reference: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-wild-goose-inglewood

Closed now and there's now a bunch of apartments sitting atop this location as well as adjacent to the Green Line/C Line Aviation Station.

David
corky likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Was down the block from the Proud Bird - also had a avian reference: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-wild-goose-inglewood

Closed now and there's now a bunch of apartments sitting atop this location as well as adjacent to the Green Line/C Line Aviation Station.

David
Wasn't there also the "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS" place on Century that got knocked down and turned into a Carl's Jr. some long time ago?
corky likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Wasn't there also the "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS" place on Century that got knocked down and turned into a Carl's Jr. some long time ago?
Yup - at Century and Aviation. Now a pending Crenshaw Line LAX Metro stop and the previously identified Carl's Jr.

David
Old Mar 11, 2022, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Yup - at Century and Aviation. Now a pending Crenshaw Line LAX Metro stop and the previously identified Carl's Jr.

David
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Ian, where did you end up going?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.