Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 3A2 - KLM Aircraft and Seating Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
So I just learned Ejets with the new slimline seats don’t have the lockers infront of row 1 anymore.

So not only do we have ironing boards as seats but the only storage is found in the minuscule overhead bins where everybody has to put their roller bags sideways thus taking up double the room…
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Digicola
So I just learned Ejets with the new slimline seats don’t have the lockers infront of row 1 anymore. So not only do we have ironing boards as seats but the only storage is found in the minuscule overhead bins where everybody has to put their roller bags sideways thus taking up double the room…
Yes, but the new 195-E2s do have larger bins that the older models. Also, the new slimline seats (which will be refitted on the 190s, not sure about the 175s) are not quite as bad as the new 737-800 ones. The J/EC seats with headrests are surprisingly OK for a short flight. Also, row 1 on the 195-E2 and 190 has tons of legroom, whereas there very little space on the 737s.

Johan
Digicola likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:46 pm

Programs: Asia Miles
Maybe a niche question but I'm looking at KL 635, AMS to Las Vegas in February or so. The flight is in the middle of the daytime the entire journey over but it's a 787, does anyone know if the crew at least dim the windows from their controls? Sounds rough leaving at midday, flying for 10 hours always at full daylight and arriving at 2pm.

Also I was hoping to get an empty seat or two next to me in Y but I can't see loads on Expert Flyer, I keep getting "There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: FLIFO FLIGHT LEG CANCEL", anyone know what that is?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by 8592nd
Maybe a niche question but I'm looking at KL 635, AMS to Las Vegas in February or so. The flight is in the middle of the daytime the entire journey over but it's a 787, does anyone know if the crew at least dim the windows from their controls? Sounds rough leaving at midday, flying for 10 hours always at full daylight and arriving at 2pm.

Also I was hoping to get an empty seat or two next to me in Y but I can't see loads on Expert Flyer, I keep getting "There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: FLIFO FLIGHT LEG CANCEL", anyone know what that is?
I dont know with this specific route but my experence is that they do not tend to dim the windows during the day.

The issue with Expert Flyer is probably because this flight is not bookable online at the moment due to travel resrictions. Therefor Expert flyer probably cannot see the online inventory. You can only book this flight by calling KL. Very wise to keep an eye on the travel restrictions and if you are ok to travel this route.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8592nd
The flight is in the middle of the daytime the entire journey over but it's a 787, does anyone know if the crew at least dim the windows from their controls? Sounds rough leaving at midday, flying for 10 hours always at full daylight and arriving at 2pm
Relax, there's an easy and cheap solution for those who wish to sleep in the middle of the daytime: a sleep mask.

Still wondering why this lady didn't close the window blind, but the mask obviously did the trick, she had be woken up for landing.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Relax, there's an easy and cheap solution for those who wish to sleep in the middle of the daytime: a sleep mask.

Still wondering why this lady didn't close the window blind, but the mask obviously did the trick, she had be woken up for landing.
Clearly an FT regular who knows and respects your views on daytime window opening
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Brendan88
IThe issue with Expert Flyer is probably because this flight is not bookable online at the moment due to travel resrictions. Therefor Expert flyer probably cannot see the online inventory. You can only book this flight by calling KL. Very wise to keep an eye on the travel restrictions and if you are ok to travel this route.
Just curious : can you elaborate on those travels restrictions between NL and US that lead to a flight bookable only by phone ?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, AccorLiveLimitless Platinum, Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Just curious : can you elaborate on those travels restrictions between NL and US that lead to a flight bookable only by phone ?
No idea to be honest, I had looked up the flight status for this route in Feb on the KL website and that is what KL states. I also have no idea how often 8592nd has flowen during the pandemic. It was general advice from me to check all restrictions. Over the last year I have seen so many people being sent away at the check in desk (most old people without a PCR).

I did not check if it is actually not bookable online, sounds strange indeed. So I now tried to make a dummy booking on the app which is possible, so looks like it is a glitch.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: Asia Miles
I'm going KL 635, AMS to Las Vegas tomorrow. I'm going from DUB to AMS, then an hour layover and then the LAS flight. 787 in Economy. Is it possible, if I'm checking expert flyer and the online check in, that I can ask the desk at DUB to change my seat to any empty rows? Is that possible and if so can I do it from the check in desk at DUB?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It ought to be possible from the online check in just as well, until check in closes in AMS, which would be about the time DUB flight lands.

Note if any rows are outright blocked for OLCI, it's quite unlikely they will be open for ckin desk.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:01 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I booked a flight in J to YVR, it was a 787 during booking time and now it is a 777-200. Seat map shows a 2-2-2 config (beurk !). I was automatically put in 5A, but I am guessing galley noise and light is strong there (it is a night flight, the day flight outbound is on AF). Any better seat ?
Also what are the chances it moves again to a 787 or something better ? Flight is early May.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll take a Triple Seven over a Dreamliner any day, but others may beg to differ.

I usually pick 1K, my second choice is 1A. Proximity to the forward galley & lavs is not an issue. Not sure what it is like in the back rows.

I believe rows 2 & 3 are reserved for Plats until OLCI.

Johan
Old Mar 24, 2022, 2:33 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I booked a flight in J to YVR, it was a 787 during booking time and now it is a 777-200. Seat map shows a 2-2-2 config (beurk !). I was automatically put in 5A, but I am guessing galley noise and light is strong there (it is a night flight, the day flight outbound is on AF). Any better seat ?
Also what are the chances it moves again to a 787 or something better ? Flight is early May.
I once had the same flight, within a month, change from a 773 to a 789, 772, 781 and finally 4 hours before departure back to a 773. That is certainly not normal and i rarely have more than 1 equipment change, if any at all. However, you never know.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I would say low given that that flight is ordinarily operated by a 772, having taken it multiple times myself.

And as Johan says, row 1 is the best. I prefer the window myself.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Hi All;

Going to be on the KLM 787-10

Any recommendation with the best window seat that does not have a misaligned window? I like having the window aligned close to the seat.

I recall seat 5 only has one window.

I picked seat 8 A.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.