Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 3A2 - KLM Aircraft and Seating Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AHC96
On ExpertFlyer I'm getting the following error:
Just booked a SFO-AMS-CDG leaving in 4 days and encountering a similar problem with the J seatmap.
Can't select seats on the SFO-AMS segment on my booking while I can for the AMS-CDG flight. Expertflyer shows "PRS NOT ALLOWED THIS CLASS OR ZONE" for the J seatmap but Y seatmap shows up fine.
Not too concerned for a bad seat as it's on a 789 but would have liked to pick up a window one...
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:48 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Flying KL on a 737-800 on Monday and noticed that 1C is blocked. Moved myself to 1A, usually not my favorite, but if the seat next to me remains empty it may still be the better choice. Does anyone know if 1C remains blocked (not being sold), or will it open up during check-in?

I can imagine 1C is being blocked for covid reasons, to prevent pax sitting right across the isle from the crew...but I'm not sure if this is the reason why?
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I can imagine 1C is being blocked for covid reasons, to prevent pax sitting right across the isle from the crew...but I'm not sure if this is the reason why?
All through the pandemic my shorthaul KL flights have been on 737s, with one single exception when an Embraer was substituted at the last minute (yikes!). I have never seen 1C blocked, or any other seat for that matter. I have seen it occupied, though. Not by me, row 1 is the last I would pick due to the abominable legroom.

Johan
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Flying KL on a 737-800 on Monday and noticed that 1C is blocked. Moved myself to 1A, usually not my favorite, but if the seat next to me remains empty it may still be the better choice. Does anyone know if 1C remains blocked (not being sold), or will it open up during check-in?

Do make sure it's actually blocked, as opposed to simply occupied
Old Aug 8, 2021, 4:13 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Thanks. Yes, I noticed that the status on KLM.com showed differently for 1C - and expertflyer confirmed this for all upcoming flights out of ATH:

This applies to the flights not open for check in. For my flight OLCI just opened and 1C became available for selection. So its not some covid-rule. And while I fully agree that row 1 is sub par compared to row 2, I'd still prefer row 1 if that means I'll have no neighbor. Current flight availability is C=4 O=0 so I'm hoping not much will change and they won't fill up the cabin.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 5:07 am

Hi everyone, lurker here.

Just booked AMS-CPT in J for our first holiday with my son. 787-9 planned for both flights so happy about that.

My son will be 17 months on the outbound flight so might still fit in the bassinet. I have seen in photos that the basinet is situated inside the front part of the middle bulkhead seats (2D, 2G). A few questions for anyone with experience:

1. The agent on the phone tried to reserve these seats for me. She said on the outbound they were blocked and on the inbound 2D was occupied and 2G was blocked. She also said there was no indication of any bassinets in J on 787. I have seen photos that they are definitely there though. She was not able to unblock them for our booking with a lap infant but added a note to our reservation that we would like the bassinet. Should I try call someone else to see if they can do this for me? On the inbound 2D is occupied (along with 2A incidentally) so it must be possible...
2. Anyone travelled with a lap infant in J on 787? What seating arrangement would you suggest? I assumed middle pair (ideally bulkhead), but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:30 pm
MMW

Hi All, I will be flying in KLM 787 biz class. Are the bulkhead seats anyhow better on 787s? Is the footwell larger? I am aware that there are no central overhead bins in rows 1-3 and 1K is close to the toilet, but if the footwell is bigger in row 1 this may be a decisive factor for me. Thanks a lot for help.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by MMW
Hi All, I will be flying in KLM 787 biz class. Are the bulkhead seats anyhow better on 787s? Is the footwell larger? I am aware that there are no central overhead bins in rows 1-3 and 1K is close to the toilet, but if the footwell is bigger in row 1 this may be a decisive factor for me. Thanks a lot for help.
All seats are the same
Old Oct 10, 2021, 5:39 am
MMW

Originally Posted by Goldorak
All seats are the same
Thanks. I will opt for middle rows then.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:14 pm

Hi everyone,

Upcoming flight AMS-CPT in J on 789. Flying with an 18 month old (lap infant) and my wife. Wondering if anyone has any advice on window + aisle seat or rather the two centre seats?
Trying to weigh up the benefits of a window view for the little one (day flight) vs creating our 'own space' in the center of the plane.

Thanks all,
Jacob.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Silver
Armrests in KL 737

Does anyone know if the aisle-side arms rests are able to be raised on the 737? Just be good to know if I could eke out a bit more hip room in the seat.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LJEDI
Does anyone know if the aisle-side arms rests are able to be raised on the 737? Just be good to know if I could eke out a bit more hip room in the seat.
I believe the answer is no, perhaps with a few exceptions to accommodate disabled travelers.

Johan
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by LJEDI
Anatomically, your hips would be below the armrest. But (like Johan said) if there is a special reason to do so you can always ask the cabin crew.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:16 pm

There used to be an annotation on the first some number of rows on the 737 seat maps that the arm rest was raisable, but I haven't seen that in years and I believe since then the arm rests are locked. Obviously they are technically able to be raised but to date I have not found the mechanism that enables it.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Not all rows need to be raisable. I was aible to raise them in some KLM airplane, but not sure if it was a 737 or what cabin it was in... Usually if there is a mechanism it is a latch on the underside of the armrest close to the attachment point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.