Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ 3A2 - KLM Aircraft and Seating Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
Seating advice please 772 ams-cpt

So apologies if this HAS been answered elsewhere, but I am after some seating advice

Travelling BHX-AMS-CPT and back in early October on 772 in J

2-2-2 across appears to be the norm so not the 787 experience I had last year (boo!)

Unusually, the flight there is a DAY flight departing AMS in the morning, so daylight most of the way, and the intention is to stay awake.
Coming home departing 2300 or so, naturally, I will want to sleep on that one !!

Wisdom elsewhere in the thread is that rows 1 and 6 have much better legroom as no "cubbyhole", but at the same time people moan about noise from toilet etc. I dont fancy row 6, cos JUST MY LUCK would be a baby in basinette behind (and others say the CC "miss you"!)

What seats would you reccomend to a 6ft (1.8m) male travelling alone ?

Last edited by dukesy; Jul 25, 2019 at 9:34 am Reason: Didnt clarify class
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:40 am

My choice for the CPT-AMS is ALWAYS row 6 if available, I usually watch a movie at takeoff and have something light to eat, then by the time the movie ends so does the economy service and it's fairly quiet, if you are sensitive to noise then it might not be the best seat for you but for me once I put the earplugs in all I hear is the white noise from the engine.

Given the 11+ hours of night flight, I usually get 6-7hrs of decent sleep, then wake up and watch another movie or do something else shortly before breakfast service starts.

For the AMS-CPT, whichever is closer to the door, usually I like row 5.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Ditto
My choice for the CPT-AMS is ALWAYS row 6 if available, I usually watch a movie at takeoff and have something light to eat, then by the time the movie ends so does the economy service and it's fairly quiet, if you are sensitive to noise then it might not be the best seat for you but for me once I put the earplugs in all I hear is the white noise from the engine.

Given the 11+ hours of night flight, I usually get 6-7hrs of decent sleep, then wake up and watch another movie or do something else shortly before breakfast service starts.

For the AMS-CPT, whichever is closer to the door, usually I like row 5.
Many thanks.. I take your point in way back ,. I have just changed to 6K accordingly..

Will keep 1K for outbound though..

Thanks for your advice...
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dukesy
So apologies if this HAS been answered elsewhere, but I am after some seating advice

Travelling BHX-AMS-CPT and back in early October on 772 in J

2-2-2 across appears to be the norm so not the 787 experience I had last year (boo!)

Unusually, the flight there is a DAY flight departing AMS in the morning, so daylight most of the way, and the intention is to stay awake.
Coming home departing 2300 or so, naturally, I will want to sleep on that one !!

Wisdom elsewhere in the thread is that rows 1 and 6 have much better legroom as no "cubbyhole", but at the same time people moan about noise from toilet etc. I dont fancy row 6, cos JUST MY LUCK would be a baby in basinette behind (and others say the CC "miss you"!)

What seats would you reccomend to a 6ft (1.8m) male travelling alone ?
I would try 1D as there are no toilets on this side of the galley. 1A Could work too if you want a window.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never flown in any other 772/773 seat than 1K (mostly) or 1A (occasionally), and I'm perfectly happy in either, on both night and day flights. I have no issues with toilet traffic. Two toilets for 34 pax is not really sufficient, though.

Johan
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:22 pm

I don't recall ever having had a negative experience regarding noise in 1A/K.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
KL601 AMS-LAX 747C
flying solo
1A/K, 4A taken
Currently in 4E
77A/K available, though I prefer K flying into LAX with the better views.

I can't for the life of me decide if I want the last solo seat, or upper deck window. I've flown on the 747 multiple times, but never on the upper deck. I'm also an avid window guy, but I've done this flight before and there isn't much to see except for takeoff or landing. What shall I do? Other than compulsively check twice a day for the next 3 months if 1A/1K/4A opens up
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Go for 77K.
You could also make a seat alert for 1A/1K/4A on expertflyer.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 3:13 am

Programs: FB Plat
Eventhough I have only travelled once on a KL 747 in J (but 1A was free, at least until I selected my seat!), I would also go with an upper-deck window seat. 4E did not look so exciting in my opinion, except it is full-access but on a day flight I would expect you will be able to walk out of your seat easily even at a window seat. Upper deck looks more "exclusive" and enjoying the Dutch landscapes while flying is always worth seating at a window.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Porcepic
enjoying the Dutch landscapes while flying is always worth seating at a window.
I'n not familiar with the current cabin configuration, but it used to be much easier to look out the windows downstairs than upstairs.

Holland is a small country, you don't get that many minutes of Dutch landscapes on any flight to or from AMS, not even on rare clear days.

Johan
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel

Holland is a small country
The Netherlands you mean ?
Holland is partly the name of 2 provinces.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by BobTL

The Netherlands you mean ?
Holland is partly the name of 2 provinces.
Arguably an even smaller country.

(Also this clearly marks you as someone from outside those two provinces.)
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:45 am

I've got an upcoming flight with the 747, I'm flying with a friend, I'd like to go for Economy Comfort, seats 17 E & D are still available.
What is your experience with these seats (considering that they're located just in front of the toilet?
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue
- edited. Question already answered in an other topic.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:32 am
Suspended

Do the E190's have a moving divider between Business and Eco Comfort?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.