Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2023, 11:24 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32
Not technically a correspondance, but thoughts on a 2h gap in the morning on separate tickets coming Non-Schengen (on CI) > Schengen (on KL) ? This will involve 1 checked bag for a trip in April (mid-week), with SP.
I returned from said trip today and will answer my own question, perhaps for others to reference in the future.

CI will interline baggage onto KLM (or certain other carriers), as mentioned on their website. So no need to collect bags.

I *would have* been able to make the "ideal" shorter transfer flight (arriving at 08h and departing at 09h50). Roughest part would have been passport contrôle, but staff were allowing those with short correspondances to cut the very long queue.
Comenius likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 4:32 am

Sorry if asked before. Flying CPH-AMS-BHX. Both flights with KLM and will have checked luggage. We have plenty of time for layover. As this is a Schengen-Schengen-NonSchengen, can anyone please explain the process. Will my checked luggage be transferred to the BHX flight or will I have to reclaim my luggage and check in again at AMS. Will I remain airside or have to go landslide? What security if any will I need to go through. Thanks in advance.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by scottie920
Sorry if asked before. Flying CPH-AMS-BHX. Both flights with KLM and will have checked luggage. We have plenty of time for layover. As this is a Schengen-Schengen-NonSchengen, can anyone please explain the process. Will my checked luggage be transferred to the BHX flight or will I have to reclaim my luggage and check in again at AMS. Will I remain airside or have to go landslide? What security if any will I need to go through. Thanks in advance.
Your luggage will be transferred automatically.

You will go through passport control airside at the bottom of the D pier. Queues vary a lot - there are e gates that are usually open at the busier times. There is a risk of a random security check just as you exit passport control, but even if selected this will be short with no queue.
Old May 1, 2023, 5:28 am

Thank you.

Originally Posted by dkeng
Your luggage will be transferred automatically.

You will go through passport control airside at the bottom of the D pier. Queues vary a lot - there are e gates that are usually open at the busier times. There is a risk of a random security check just as you exit passport control, but even if selected this will be short with no queue.
Old May 1, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
For traveling between US and Portugal, I would need to pass between Schengen/non-Schengen. Does that means a passport check, but not another security screening? I'm trying to estimate how much overhead is needed. From reading here, a 1 hour connection time is possible and has been done successfully, but something I would not enjoy
Old May 1, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by former1k
For traveling between US and Portugal, I would need to pass between Schengen/non-Schengen. Does that means a passport check, but not another security screening? I'm trying to estimate how much overhead is needed. From reading here, a 1 hour connection time is possible and has been done successfully, but something I would not enjoy
Just passport control for this connection. 1hr is feasible but you may not feel comfortable with this and would prefer to book a longer connection.

Last edited by Goldorak; May 2, 2023 at 2:56 pm
Old May 2, 2023, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by former1k
I'm trying to estimate how much overhead is needed.
You do not need to estimate; simply buy a connecting ticket and it is the airline, rather than you, that needs to worry about such things.

If, instead, you are piecing together your own "connection" by booking separate journeys on separate tickets, you should be maximising the time at your connection point so that any delays (whether in the flight itself, or the delivery of checked-in luggage from that flight) do not spoil your plans. When travelling on separate tickets, if you miss your connection, you will have to pay for a replacement ticket at the last-minute walk-up fares.
Goldorak likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You do not need to estimate; simply buy a connecting ticket and it is the airline, rather than you, that needs to worry about such things.
That's a very short-sighted approach. An individual traveller will be able to assess factors that might make them uncomfortable with MCT connections which are fully legal, and in fact would be easily possible for majority of passengers.

Things like problems walking long distances, propensity to carry items which will create issues on security (i.e. some medical devices), visa challenges which may result in delays at passport check, or straight up lack of familiarity with airports and a bad sense of orientation are all things that can mean a traveller absolutely should worry about "such things" as appropriate connection time.

I consider myself an experienced flyer with a lot of transfer experience and there are still airports and/or terminal combinations where I will no way in hell buy MCT connection.
Old May 8, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
That's a very short-sighted approach. An individual traveller will be able to assess factors that might make them uncomfortable with MCT connections which are fully legal, and in fact would be easily possible for majority of passengers.
The question was perhaps short-sighted too then; no such mitigating factors were mentioned, so I saw no reason to deviate from the airport's/airline's estimate at the necessary overhead.
Old May 21, 2023, 11:47 am

Flying SFO -> AMS -> JRO (Kilimanjaro, Tanzania) and have a 1 hour layover in AMS after the first leg. Consensus sounds like it'll be tight? I don't know where the inbound SFO and outbound JRO flights are usually placed, hopefully in the same terminal because they're both international?
Old May 21, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: FB Gold
1h is sufficient as you're arriving from a "clean" country and do not enter Schengen/no passport contrôle. So just walk from one gate to another in the same of l'aéroport.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:24 am

Does anyone know through which door on a 787-10 deplaning is done in AMS, if there is a consistent answer? Through the one right behind the flight deck or the one between the J and PY cabins?
I’ve got a 55 minutes NS->S connection coming up (unfortunately the only remotely practical flight) and I’m afraid that I will be thankful for every minute I have at my disposal, so selecting a seat close to the exit would give me a little bit peace of mind.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by notsofrequenttraveller
Does anyone know through which door on a 787-10 deplaning is done in AMS, if there is a consistent answer? Through the one right behind the flight deck or the one between the J and PY cabins?
I’ve got a 55 minutes NS->S connection coming up (unfortunately the only remotely practical flight) and I’m afraid that I will be thankful for every minute I have at my disposal, so selecting a seat close to the exit would give me a little bit peace of mind.
Here is recent example arriving at the E pier: both doors 1L and 2L used.

Old Jun 8, 2023, 3:41 pm

Hi all and apologies if this has been covered ad-nauseum previously.

I recently booked an award ticket for KIX-ICN-AMS-OSL, all business class and KLM + KLM cityhopper metal for the ICN-AMS-OSL legs. Flight is not until May 2024 so I definitely expect some schedule changes, but right now it is scheduled for 1h30m connect time in AMS.
My question is, what kind of connection time should I expect in AMS for this itinerary? Since I'm transiting from a non-secure, non-Schengen country (South Korea) I gather I need to clear both immigration and security in AMS? Would I need to recheck any luggage? I have both a USA and a Swiss passport if there's any difference in respect to transiting to Schengen. The ICN-AMS flight arrives quite early (0530) so I don't expect a huge queue, but correct me if I'm wrong in that respect.

Ideally I'd like at least a few minutes to spend in the KLM Crown lounge, but I have a feeling it might be rather tight. My ticket shows I have access to the KLM 25 Schengen lounge, would I have access to the non-Schengen Crown lounge as well with an incoming business ticket in case the flight is early?
Old Jun 8, 2023, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
Here is recent example arriving at the E pier: both doors 1L and 2L used.
Great, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.