Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2023, 11:36 am

data point
I took KL1076, MAN AMS, arrived at bus gate at 16:13
then passport control
run all the way to B26 gate
KL1861 AMS DUS, arrive at gate at 16:36
missed connection / departure 16:50
Old Jun 10, 2023, 6:24 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That sucks - you missed it by 1 minute. If you were at the gate at 16:35 and it had been closed you'd be getting denied boarding compensation..
Old Jun 10, 2023, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
That sucks - you missed it by 1 minute. If you were at the gate at 16:35 and it had been closed you'd be getting denied boarding compensation..
yes, it is very unfortunate
I missed the 1650 flight
so KLM rebooked me for the 21:35 flight

say, 1613 arrive at bus gate
1618 all passengers get off the aircraft
1623 arrive at the terminal
1623 line up for all passport queue
1631 passport control done
1636 run all the way to B26,
B26 is far with no passenger movement escalator

I heard that there are someone doing Berlin at 1645
I don't know how he can make it
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta
Got a couple of 9-hour connections coming up at AMS next week (yuck). All NS-NS and all in KLM business. I plan to head into town and grab a bite with friends. No checked luggage but I do have a large-ish carry on suitcase. So, can I put it in a Lounge 52 locker, go in town with nothing but a small sling bag, and retrieve it later from the lounge? Is this possible? Will that create a problem at the customs, seeing a dude with nothing but a tiny little bag?
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It is frowned upon. You should use storage service landside instead.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by as9632
Got a couple of 9-hour connections coming up at AMS next week (yuck). All NS-NS and all in KLM business. I plan to head into town and grab a bite with friends. No checked luggage but I do have a large-ish carry on suitcase. So, can I put it in a Lounge 52 locker, go in town with nothing but a small sling bag, and retrieve it later from the lounge? Is this possible? Will that create a problem at the customs, seeing a dude with nothing but a tiny little bag?
Would checking in that bag be an option? Would solve a lot of issues and save you money and time.

Having only a small bag is not a problem at customs. In the unlikely event they ask you about it, just say that you are having a long connection between ABC and XYZ and you are meeting some friends in town.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:11 pm

Mpls to AMS to NCE question

HI I am a first time traveler to Europe and am Deaf. I have read through the information posted but still do not understand fully. I have one ticket on Delta from MSP to AMS to NCE. When I land in AMS (Schengen country) from a secure arrival country do I need to go through Immigration before boarding my flight to NCE (Schengen country). Or do I go through Immigration and customs all upon arrival in NCE? And if I do need to go through Immigration in AMS do I need to pick up my checked bag or will it have been check through to my final destination since I'm on one ticket with Delta? I only have 90 min layover in AMS so am nervous about making my flight to NCE.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:10 pm

Yes, clear immigration at AMS and your bag will be checked through to NCE.
GUWonder and Deafflyer2 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:22 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by rove312
This is correct. You will automatically pass an immigration checkpoint on your way from your arrival gate to your departure gate. So at AMS all you will need to do after deplaning is follow the signs to your departure gate.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Deafflyer2
HI I am a first time traveler to Europe and am Deaf. I have read through the information posted but still do not understand fully. I have one ticket on Delta from MSP to AMS to NCE. When I land in AMS (Schengen country) from a secure arrival country do I need to go through Immigration before boarding my flight to NCE (Schengen country). Or do I go through Immigration and customs all upon arrival in NCE? And if I do need to go through Immigration in AMS do I need to pick up my checked bag or will it have been check through to my final destination since I'm on one ticket with Delta? I only have 90 min layover in AMS so am nervous about making my flight to NCE.

Thank you so much for your help!
Originally Posted by rove312
Yes, follow signs toward the departure gate for AMS-NCE and you will end up running into passport control and just have to clear that, but no security rescreening check at AMS since you’re coming in from the US.

Even with the AMS passport control lines being a bit crazy long at times, most commonly 90 minutes is still more than enough time to make AMS-NCE when coming off MSP-AMS flights. Just make sure to not make any pit stops at AMS until after clearing passport control at AMS, and thus you should be fine with 90 minutes after the MSP-AMS plane door opening. It may help to have a printout of your itinerary if you’re coming in on a US passport and indicate prominently on the printout and verbally to AMS passport control that there is a hearing challenge.

The one thing I will note that AMS does when passport control lines are long and people have close connections, is that the airport sometimes has had staff at passport control making audio announcements for moving forward those travelers on tight connections. You will possibly miss that audio cue, but if you see some staff going around there; but if you see them, then you can ask them if they are moving ahead at passport control people on tight connections.
Deafflyer2 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, follow signs toward the departure gate for AMS-NCE and you will end up running into passport control and just have to clear that, but no security rescreening check at AMS since you’re coming in from the US.

Even with the AMS passport control lines being a bit crazy long at times, most commonly 90 minutes is still more than enough time to make AMS-NCE when coming off MSP-AMS flights. Just make sure to not make any pit stops at AMS until after clearing passport control at AMS, and thus you should be fine with 90 minutes after the MSP-AMS plane door opening. It may help to have a printout of your itinerary if you’re coming in on a US passport and indicate prominently on the printout and verbally to AMS passport control that there is a hearing challenge.

The one thing I will note that AMS does when passport control lines are long and people have close connections, is that the airport sometimes has had staff at passport control making audio announcements for moving forward those travelers on tight connections. You will possibly miss that audio cue, but if you see some staff going around there; but if you see them, then you can ask them if they are moving ahead at passport control people on tight connections.
Thank you very much. Can I also ask on my return trip NCE to AMS to MPLS my bags should be checked through on Delta (1 ticket)? and where do I go through Passport Control etc. in AMS Again?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Deafflyer2
Thank you very much. Can I also ask on my return trip NCE to AMS to MPLS my bags should be checked through on Delta (1 ticket)? and where do I go through Passport Control etc. in AMS Again?
Your flight NCE to AMS will be treated as a domestic/Schengen flight. You will go thru contrôle passeports at AMS, then board your flight to Minneapolis.

Your bag will be tagged at NCE to your final destination (Minneapolis).
GUWonder and Goldorak like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:46 pm

Always get a little confused by the Schengen zones etc so hope someone can clear it up for me.

Arriving from BRS (UK) connecting in AMS on a flight to AAL. Am I right in thinking on arrival I go through passport control and am then free to enjoy the airport and lounges which are available to me with AMEX platinum, till it’s time to get the next flight and I can go straight to the gate (likely a bus gate) without going through passport confirm
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Always get a little confused by the Schengen zones etc so hope someone can clear it up for me.

Arriving from BRS (UK) connecting in AMS on a flight to AAL. Am I right in thinking on arrival I go through passport control and am then free to enjoy the airport and lounges which are available to me with AMEX platinum, till it’s time to get the next flight and I can go straight to the gate (likely a bus gate) without going through passport confirm
AAL is in Schengen.

For UK-AMS-AAL:

Schengen entry passport control check at AMS and then free to move about the airport and any lounges that accept you until time to be at the gate on time to board for the flight to AAL. This is assuming you have no checked luggage to claim at AMS because you either have no checked in luggage or because the luggage at BRS was already checked in and tagged to go to AAL as noted on your luggage claim tag too.
mediamonkey likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 12:52 pm

JFK to Ams to Sou and immigration?

Do I go through immigration in both Ams and Sou?
thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.