Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:26 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by ALGU
Is it correct that US passport holders can use transit e-gates in AMS when arriving Schengen and departing non-Schengen?
As per here.
ALGU likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Officially, only FB Gold and Plat (assuming you are flying Y). However you can always try.
OP can try but it will not work (100% sure).
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:26 pm

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Looking at booking NCL-AMS-LIS and the best flight has a 45 min. connection. . We’d have checked luggage which I assume will be checked through. Common sense tells me this is too short a connection, what would be the minimum sensible connection time?

Thanks for help and patience.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 2:40 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by Jim98
Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.
Looking at booking NCL-AMS-LIS and the best flight has a 45 min. connection. . We’d have checked luggage which I assume will be checked through. Common sense tells me this is too short a connection, what would be the minimum sensible connection time?

Thanks for help and patience.
45 minutes should be sufficient, if the inbound flight isn't delayed.

there's a short connection line at passport control and you may need to speed up the walking a little but it's doable.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 12:44 pm

Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta
Flying FLR - AMS - DTW. FLR flight due to arrive at AMS at 8:40 AM. We have 1 hour and 20 minutes before our DTW flight. Traveling on US passports with a 15 year old. Can we use the e-gates? Is 1 hour and 20 minutes enough time?? TIA!
Old Mar 23, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by CowGirlMoo
Flying FLR - AMS - DTW. FLR flight due to arrive at AMS at 8:40 AM. We have 1 hour and 20 minutes before our DTW flight. Traveling on US passports with a 15 year old. Can we use the e-gates? Is 1 hour and 20 minutes enough time?? TIA!
No e-gates (bc 15yo). Should be enough time.
CowGirlMoo likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta
Thank you.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:45 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Flying BOM-AMS-SEA and I believe arriving E gate and departing D gates with 2 kids (4 pax). Should we pay extra to sit up front in Economy or VIP service? 1hr 25 min transit. Canadian passport. Realized after booking BOM-AMS is frequently delayed. The next flight of the day to SEA is already full.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sahiljain22
Flying BOM-AMS-SEA and I believe arriving E gate and departing D gates with 2 kids (4 pax). Should we pay extra to sit up front in Economy or VIP service? 1hr 25 min transit. Canadian passport. Realized after booking BOM-AMS is frequently delayed. The next flight of the day to SEA is already full.
Keep your money. Even of you misconnect and no non-stop to SEA available, there will be other options with a stop in one of the US DL hub.
dkeng likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:06 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Flying ZRH-AMS; AMS-ATL. Due to award availability, had to book separate tickets (KLM/DL). 1:55 total time. Barring a delay, this seems more than sufficient but would appreciate any guidance.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Flying ZRH-AMS; AMS-ATL. Due to award availability, had to book separate tickets (KLM/DL). 1:55 total time. Barring a delay, this seems more than sufficient but would appreciate any guidance.
With 1 hour 55 minutes transfer time you will have enough time to go to the Irish pub, order and eat a full Irish breakfast as well as being able to drink 3 pints of Guinness.

I speak as someone who had 38 minutes yesterday to go from Non Schengen to Schengen (gate B18) with zero issue.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 8:39 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Keep your money. Even of you misconnect and no non-stop to SEA available, there will be other options with a stop in one of the US DL hub.
Thanks. Just posting my experience so that others may find some value.
Landed 10 minutes late (even after on time departure) and parked next to next flight E5 to E7, sitting up front, so offboarded and went straight to security (asked and was let into short connection security even though the cutoff for that was 15 minutes away from our departure time), walk back to E gates and next flight was just starting boarding.
Very streamlined process even with 2 kids but not much buffer room.

FYI: It is extremely important to have a boarding pass for onward journey for those posting on short connection with 2 separate tickets.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: none
I booked LAX-DUS with connection in AMS, is 1hr enough time to make the flight to DUS and for checked luggage ? KLM website let me book it that way.

flight is on may 30th, one eu passport(me) and two non eu(wife and child)
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by den221
I booked LAX-DUS with connection in AMS, is 1hr enough time to make the flight to DUS and for checked luggage ? KLM website let me book it that way.

flight is on may 30th, one eu passport(me) and two non eu(wife and child)
Tight. But worst case they would have to rebook you as you are on one itinerary.

Remember the embarquement begins 30mn before departure for short haul flights.
den221 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.