Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
We're flying home DUB-AMS-SFO tomorrow. What's the transit process like for this flight since Ireland isn't Schengen?
Old Oct 27, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by motoridersd
We're flying home DUB-AMS-SFO tomorrow. What's the transit process like for this flight since Ireland isn't Schengen?
You will be connecting via the non-Schengen part of Schiphol, most likely arrival at the D terminal and departure from E. Should be fairly smooth & easy.
motoridersd likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Data point from Thursday, October 20th: Arrived a few minutes late on MSP-AMS on DL. Separate ticket, BA AMS-LHR-JER-LHR-ATH (for 4 BA flights needed to complete Gold status!). 1:40 connecting time, but since you don't have to go through security or passport check, it was super easy. Airport was wild (autumn break in Europe?) and lounge had a long queue when I left. SUPER easy with about 90 minutes. Could be done in 60 min, but of course I'd also book a (cancellable) alternative option for later the same day, that's what I did so I wasn't sweating it either way.
Those departing AMS on BA-- BA has closed its AMS lounge permanently, and the adjacent one (Aspire maybe?) is the lounge they use. Packed, unpleasant, but slightly better than the packed and unpleasant departures area.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:55 am

Programs: Qantas Plat
An Australian passport travelling from LHR - AMS to KL on one ticket all on KLM in J. Currently we have transit of 2 hr 30 minutes. I'm trusting that will be enough and what passport and security controls will we go through and if time, which lounges please. OWE for both travellers.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by pushka
An Australian passport travelling from LHR - AMS to KL on one ticket all on KLM in J. Currently we have transit of 2 hr 30 minutes. I'm trusting that will be enough and what passport and security controls will we go through and if time, which lounges please. OWE for both travellers.
It will be a breeze. Lounge 52.
pushka likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Does AMS typically see a surge in holiday travel? I'm looking at BQL-AMS-ATL-RDU (KLM CITYHOPPER on 1st leg / KLM 2nd) on 12/17 with a connection of 70 minutes. From what I've read here, it seems that it's typically doable (delays notwithstanding), but am wondering if holiday travel would impact passport control enough to add more concern to this connection? Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher
Does AMS typically see a surge in holiday travel? I'm looking at BQL-AMS-ATL-RDU (KLM CITYHOPPER on 1st leg / KLM 2nd) on 12/17 with a connection of 70 minutes. From what I've read here, it seems that it's typically doable (delays notwithstanding), but am wondering if holiday travel would impact passport control enough to add more concern to this connection? Thanks!
while holidays do have impact on Schiphol, that's mainly an issue for departing Dutchies and not so much for passengers in transit.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by RDUKingFisher

An impressively long haul even for the mighty Embraer :-)

I don't know where you're actually flying from but I too would not worry too much. Likely plenty of alternate ways to get to RDU if there would be a delay on the first leg.
wuzziduzziman and offvoice like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM; SPG Plat 100; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dkeng

An impressively long haul even for the mighty Embraer :-)

I don't know where you're actually flying from but I too would not worry too much. Likely plenty of alternate ways to get to RDU if there would be a delay on the first leg.
Good catch...this is why we should not drink and type

Should've been BLQ...
Old Nov 9, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Evening everyone.

Flying KL BRS-AMS and then QR AMS-DOH-ZNZ.

Separated tickets for KL and QR. However I note from Expert Flyer KL and QR do have an interline agreement and 'can' through check baggage. My question is will KL do this or will they say no even though they could do it...?

Thanks in advance,
Old Nov 10, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
I believe KLM policy is generally "no". But ultimately it is probably up to the choice of the checkin agent. I have never asked for this kind of service but my general experience of the swissport agents at BRS is that they are friendly and clueless in approximately equal measure. I would plan for through checkin to not be possible and be pleasantly surprised if it is.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by barnstaple
Evening everyone.

Flying KL BRS-AMS and then QR AMS-DOH-ZNZ.

Separated tickets for KL and QR. However I note from Expert Flyer KL and QR do have an interline agreement and 'can' through check baggage. My question is will KL do this or will they say no even though they could do it...?

Thanks in advance,
they won’t do it on separate tickets.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Been a long time since we have had any flight connection issues but I suspect we may have one next Friday. We only have 40 minutes to catch our connection to Hamburg after arriving in Amsterdam from Aberdeen on the Friday evening. Our flight to Hamburg is the last one of the day so can anybody tell me what we can expect if we get to the gate and flight is closed and perhaps already departed?

If it makes any difference, tickets were booked direct with KLM and both myself and good lady are platinums.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:24 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by Billyfergus
Been a long time since we have had any flight connection issues but I suspect we may have one next Friday. We only have 40 minutes to catch our connection to Hamburg after arriving in Amsterdam from Aberdeen on the Friday evening. Our flight to Hamburg is the last one of the day so can anybody tell me what we can expect if we get to the gate and flight is closed and perhaps already departed?

If it makes any difference, tickets were booked direct with KLM and both myself and good lady are platinums.
Relatively easy: You booked it as 1 itinerary, so if you miss it because the inbound is delayed, you go to one of the transfer desks where someone from KLM will put you on the next available flight - you book yourself a hotel nearby and KLM will reimburse you the hotel cost.

If you miss it because you feel like you want to go for a little walk outside first (so not KL's fault), then it's on you 😄
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by b12e
Relatively easy: You booked it as 1 itinerary, so if you miss it because the inbound is delayed, you go to one of the transfer desks where someone from KLM will put you on the next available flight - you book yourself a hotel nearby and KLM will reimburse you the hotel cost.

If you miss it because you feel like you want to go for a little walk outside first (so not KL's fault), then it's on you 😄
It was basically the hotel part I was unsure of. Last time I had any issues was arriving in CDG from Kazakhstan on a Sunday evening to find my last flight of the day to ABZ had been cancelled. At AF desk they already had a hotel booked for me (with a food voucher too as well as details of the delayed flight compensation) and obviously my flight rebooked. So I was not sure if KLM would also have the hotel booked for us and if was eligible for the flight compensation as previous (if we miss flight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.