Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by djkenrob
First time transferring in Schipol. We are flying CDG/AMS KL Business class then onto AMS/YYZ KL Business class with lounge access to 'Lounge 52'.
The question is any idea which piers we will arrive and depart from (normally) and will 1h35 be enough time to transfer, passport control and pop into the lounge?

AF (ticket) will not allow a switch onto an earlier flight from CDG although we have been re-routed by AF from the direct AF CDG to Montreal service and now via AMS on KLM. This is in January so I am hoping by then things will have calmed down. Sorry if it is a silly question, just worried as only one service a day to YYZ.
Well, your CDG/AMS KL flight will arrive at gates B/C/D and your AMS/YYZ flight will depart at gates D/E/F/G. Lounge 52 is in between E and F gates, so depending on if your flight is on time and if there's queues at passport control, you might still have time to jump in and out of the lounge (quite literally) or head straight to your gate.

1h35 isn't that much, but it's not like you'll have to decide today you will visit the lounge or not, and it's sufficient to transfer.
GUWonder and djkenrob like this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Connecting Delta>British Airways at AMS on separate tickets:
I've got a Delta Airlines ticket MSP-AMS, and then a separate BA ticket AMS-LHR-JER-LHR-ATH, which upon completion will let me hit Gold BA status.
It's on a Thursday morning, in mid-October.
Only 1hr 45min between flights.
I realize that's super short connecting time, so I have a backup award ticket AMS-ATH that I'll refund if I am able to make the connection.

I think I won't have to go through security or immigration (right?) so it's just a matter of my first flight being not too delayed, and then running over to BA (if I recall Delta flights are usually in D/E? BA is also in Non-Schengen area, right?
Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, BA is non-Schengen, so no immigrations or security (as you are arriving from the US). The vast majority of BA LHR flights depart from a D-gate in the southern fork (i.e. far end) of the concourse. FlyBe operated flights may get a D6 bus gate. If your incoming flight is pretty much on time you will be fine. If not, your fallback plan will of course mean that you have to enter Schengen at AMS and go through passport control.

Johan
Old Sep 19, 2022, 8:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Connecting Delta>British Airways at AMS on separate tickets:
I've got a Delta Airlines ticket MSP-AMS, and then a separate BA ticket AMS-LHR-JER-LHR-ATH, which upon completion will let me hit Gold BA status.
It's on a Thursday morning, in mid-October.
Only 1hr 45min between flights.
I realize that's super short connecting time, so I have a backup award ticket AMS-ATH that I'll refund if I am able to make the connection.

I think I won't have to go through security or immigration (right?) so it's just a matter of my first flight being not too delayed, and then running over to BA (if I recall Delta flights are usually in D/E? BA is also in Non-Schengen area, right?
Thanks!
Hand-baggage only? I would presume so. Then you won’t have to clear security nor immigration at AMS on such a trip. [The agents at MSP were bad a few weeks back with even following DL’s own policy for thru-checking bags across separately ticketed PNRs when it was a MSP-ORD ticket with separate tickets for ORD-AMS-DEL/ORD-CDG-DEL; and so I wouldn’t even think about asking the DL agents at MSP to thru-check bags in your kind of circumstance when there is no DL policy to support thru-checking luggage on your trip.]

KL 656 out of MSP? Then I would say you’re in better hands with more consistent on-time arrivals at AMS than with DL 162 and (the too often more variable) DL 160. Whatever it is on MSP-AMS, if you have 60 minutes on the ground at AMS you should typically be able to make your AMS-LHR flight even this year as a hand baggage only traveler. In such situations I would try to check-in online for the BA AMS-LHR flight as soon as I could — if only to try to minimize the chances of running into a “too late to check you in” or a “boarding/door just closed, sorry” type situation.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Hand-baggage only? I would presume so. Then you won’t have to clear security nor immigration at AMS on such a trip. [The agents at MSP were bad a few weeks back with even following DL’s own policy for thru-checking bags across separately ticketed PNRs when it was a MSP-ORD ticket with separate tickets for ORD-AMS-DEL/ORD-CDG-DEL; and so I wouldn’t even think about asking the DL agents at MSP to thru-check bags in your kind of circumstance when there is no DL policy to support thru-checking luggage on your trip.]

KL 656 out of MSP? Then I would say you’re in better hands with more consistent on-time arrivals at AMS than with DL 162 and (the too often more variable) DL 160. Whatever it is on MSP-AMS, if you have 60 minutes on the ground at AMS you should typically be able to make your AMS-LHR flight even this year as a hand baggage only traveler. In such situations I would try to check-in online for the BA AMS-LHR flight as soon as I could — if only to try to minimize the chances of running into a “too late to check you in” or a “boarding/door just closed, sorry” type situation.
Yes, hand baggage only.
DL 160, arrives 0810, then BA leaving at 10:00.
I think the only issue will be if DL is delayed more than about 45-60 min.
Ahh, the Polderbaan!
Old Sep 22, 2022, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Yes, hand baggage only.
DL 160, arrives 0810, then BA leaving at 10:00.
I think the only issue will be if DL is delayed more than about 45-60 min.
Ahh, the Polderbaan!
Especially since this is DL 160, good that you have a backup plan if not making the BA boarding cut-off time.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:55 am

Hi,
We are flying from LHR to AMS and transfer to UIO, we have a short transfer time of 1hr
Am I right to say that we will NOT need to go through Passport Control nor Security as per the information on the top of this thread?
" In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Croatia, Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore"

As UK is non Schengen and Ecuador too, we should be able to just switch gate, and hopefully if there are no delay, able to catch our ongoing flight?
Hand baggages only

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by wps101
Hi,
We are flying from LHR to AMS and transfer to UIO, we have a short transfer time of 1hr
Am I right to say that we will NOT need to go through Passport Control nor Security as per the information on the top of this thread?
" In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Croatia, Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore"

As UK is non Schengen and Ecuador too, we should be able to just switch gate, and hopefully if there are no delay, able to catch our ongoing flight?
Hand baggages only

Thanks in advance
Correct, no control at all.
physicsdude and wps101 like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Correct, no control at all.
Thanks for confirming, appreciated
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:29 pm

Non-EU transfer - sky priority?

I’m transferring from a non -EU flight through AMS. I will need to go through transfer security but I have a tight connection (1.5hrs). I have 2 questions:

is there a sky priority queue at transfers?

is there a short connection queue and do I qualify with a connection of 1.5hrs?

Assuming the answer is no to both of these, is there any chance of me making my connection? I will be arriving at around 07:30.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
There are some non-EU secure arrival countries. If you arrive from one of those, no security.

There is no priority lane for transfer security, though there is one for short connections IIRC. There definitely is for passport control. 90 minutes as such does not qualify I believe, but if you get stuck in the queue, at some point your flight will show up on the shocon screen. At that point you could, in theory, leave your lane and switch to shocon lane if advantageous.

But I still think it won't be necessary. Typically transfer security is not too bad, especially compared to departure security.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a transfer coming up in a few weeks time at AMS and am confused by all the above information.

So there are 3 posible arrival scenarios (Schengen, secure non-schengen, non-secure non-schengen) and the same 3 for departures. That gives 9 possible options. Are these all signed differently when you are in the terminal, or do they rely on you knowing what you are supposed to do? My flights are:
  • DOH - AMS with QR (arrival from a non-secure, non-schengen country)
  • AMS - LHR with BA on seperate ticket (departure to a secure non-schengen country)
QR will interline my bags onto the BA flight, and according to the wiki I have to go through transfer security. What signs do I follow? The Wiki also mentions central transfer passport control, but doesn't say who this applies to. Do the people that go through transfer security also go through transfer passport control. If you have to do both, which comes first and are they far apart. How long should I expect it to take?
Old Oct 5, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by Agent69
I have a transfer coming up in a few weeks time at AMS and am confused by all the above information.

So there are 3 posible arrival scenarios (Schengen, secure non-schengen, non-secure non-schengen) and the same 3 for departures. That gives 9 possible options. Are these all signed differently when you are in the terminal, or do they rely on you knowing what you are supposed to do? My flights are:
  • AMS - LHR with BA on seperate ticket (departure to a secure non-schengen country)
QR will interline my bags onto the BA flight, and according to the wiki I have to go through transfer security. What signs do I follow? The Wiki also mentions central transfer passport control, but doesn't say who this applies to. Do the people that go through transfer security also go through transfer passport control. If you have to do both, which comes first and are they far apart. How long should I expect it to take?
After deplaning, just follow the signs to your departure gate number. Very easy. In your case you will clear security and there won’t be passport control.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: KL Plat
Originally Posted by Agent69

It's not as complicated as that - non-schengen transfers from insecure destination need to pass a transfer security check (otherwise they can go through passport control and enter NL airside), and are then in the non-schengen area with everybody else. From this point you simply have the decision go straight to your gate (or meander, visit lounge) if you're departure is non-schengen, else pass through immigration and go to your schengen gate.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
After deplaning, just follow the signs to your departure gate number. Very easy. In your case you will clear security and there won’t be passport control.
Thanks for the clarifcation.

Which side of security clearance is the BA lounge on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.