Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Question for a family member flying this week. For a non-Schengen to non-Schengen transfer (SFO-AMS-INV), is there any security or passport check? Thanks!
At Schiphol airport: no passport check and no security check when transfering from a flight ex SFO onto a flight to INV. Just get off the SFO flight and proceed to the departure gate for INV (most probably D 06, a collection of gates at 'streetlevel' from where a bus will take you to the KLM Cityhopper plane to INV. You always stay within Non-Schengen, passport check will take place at INV. You are also not arriving from a non-secure airport/country, so no security at Schiphol. Have a good journey from SFO to INV
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:55 am

Park Cafe Terrace in November

I have a three hour layover in Schiphol and access to KLM lounges, but I would like to get some fresh air and sunlight during that time. I've read the Park Cafe has an outdoor terrace, but I'm intested in knowing whether it's open in November. Also, are there other places in Schiphol where I might be able to access sun and/or the outdoors. (I am leaving in the dark and arriving in the dark at my destination and would like to offset my jet-lag.)
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:56 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
KLM has an outdoor terrace on the second floor of their non-Schengen lounge.
rabatt likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by b12e
KLM has an outdoor terrace on the second floor of their non-Schengen lounge.
I am arriving from the US and flying on to Munich, would I be able to access the non-Schengen lounge?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
Originally Posted by rabatt
I am arriving from the US and flying on to Munich, would I be able to access the non-Schengen lounge?
yes, no problem.

just calculate in extra time to get to your MUC gate, as you'll need to go through passport control.
rabatt likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
How long should I allow for transferring from a BA flight from LHR to a Qatar flight with baggage collection? Will 2 hours be enough? I'm a fast walker!

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pack
How long should I allow for transferring from a BA flight from LHR to a Qatar flight with baggage collection? Will 2 hours be enough? I'm a fast walker!
Thanks
Seeing as there are no checks whatsoever this will be more than plenty of time. You just walk from your arrival gate to your departure gate and that's it.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
For some reason I can't edit my post above - I missed the fact that you'll be collecting baggage, which means you'll have to clear passport control twice (once on arrival, once on departure), wait for luggage, check in and clear security again. 2 hours sounds downright impossible to me.
Pack likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by mfkne
Seeing as there are no checks whatsoever this will be more than plenty of time. You just walk from your arrival gate to your departure gate and that's it.
<br />I'm checking in bags so will have to collect them and check them in at the Qatar desk landside. Weighing up travelling light!

Thanks, I'll look in to an earlier flight.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 6:35 am

Transfered in AMS a week ago (from Singapore bound to CDG) :
- no SP Lane available at security check (I asked two times to the guy who was standing below the "priority lane / short connections" sign but he simply answered "no" two times although I showed him my BP with huge SP on it)
- line was long but was moving quite fast though
- unfortunately the pax just in front of us triggered a security alert and instead of having his luggage furtherly inspected on the side, the whole lane was blocked and with 6-7 other passengers we were blocked as we already passed the body scan but our luggages were still in the process of being scanned. Police came including some with huge massive guns and 8-10 security staff were handling the situation, inspecting the luggage, looking at the scanner screen and talking to each other. At some point one of the passengers started to lose his patience as we were blocked while all other lanes were proceeding as usual. He was answered to step back and keep quite as they had to deal with a "serious security threat". After 45-50 min, our luggages were finally checked on another lane and we left, while the security staff were still inspecting the luggage, looking at the screen and talking to each other.

I am just curious what kind of "serious security threat" could it be. It didn't require to evacuate the premises but at the same time it was absolutely impossible to inspect the passenger and his luggage on the side. It had to block the whole lane with the passengers who had nothing to do with this pax.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by asiantraveler60
I am just curious what kind of "serious security threat" could it be. It didn't require to evacuate the premises but at the same time it was absolutely impossible to inspect the passenger and his luggage on the side. It had to block the whole lane with the passengers who had nothing to do with this pax.
This is standard procedure at AMS. The whole security lane (and sometimes the one next to it) gets shut down. Probably a weapon or something that looked like a weapon. Just be glad it wasn't an IED threat or the whole area would have been evacuated. And yes, your luggage/personal belongings would remain in the machine.

Not really something to post about in this thread...sometimes you just have bad luck...
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
We're flying SFO-AMS-HAJ all on KLM in J. We have a 2 hr 40 min layover in AMS. I'd prefer to use the non-Schengen lounge but I'm concerned about lines at passport control as we'll need to go through that for our flight to HAJ. I don't suppose there's a simple way to determine the expected wait at passport control when we arrive from SFO other than going over there and checking out the line?
Old Sep 11, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue silver
Originally Posted by mangoMan
We're flying SFO-AMS-HAJ all on KLM in J. We have a 2 hr 40 min layover in AMS. I'd prefer to use the non-Schengen lounge but I'm concerned about lines at passport control as we'll need to go through that for our flight to HAJ. I don't suppose there's a simple way to determine the expected wait at passport control when we arrive from SFO other than going over there and checking out the line?
Indeed. And if the lline is short, that would encourage you to stay a bit longer in the non Schengen lounge and when you return then to go through passport control, hey, wow, there is a long line.... Just saying that the situation can change within 5 mins. One moment it is busy, the next it is quiet and the other way around. There may be a separate line for short connections but guess what: yours is not short, yours is 2 hr 40 mins. Be smart, spend a little bit of time in the NS lounge then make sure you go through and if time left use ther rest in the Schengen lounge. I wish you nice flights
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by tourguide
Indeed. And if the lline is short, that would encourage you to stay a bit longer in the non Schengen lounge and when you return then to go through passport control, hey, wow, there is a long line.... Just saying that the situation can change within 5 mins. One moment it is busy, the next it is quiet and the other way around. There may be a separate line for short connections but guess what: yours is not short, yours is 2 hr 40 mins. Be smart, spend a little bit of time in the NS lounge then make sure you go through and if time left use ther rest in the Schengen lounge. I wish you nice flights
OK, thanks, I figured the lines would be unpredictable but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. We'll follow your advice.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Exec, Flying Blue
Transfer question Paris to Canada via AMS

First time transferring in Schipol. We are flying CDG/AMS KL Business class then onto AMS/YYZ KL Business class with lounge access to 'Lounge 52'.
The question is any idea which piers we will arrive and depart from (normally) and will 1h35 be enough time to transfer, passport control and pop into the lounge?

AF (ticket) will not allow a switch onto an earlier flight from CDG although we have been re-routed by AF from the direct AF CDG to Montreal service and now via AMS on KLM. This is in January so I am hoping by then things will have calmed down. Sorry if it is a silly question, just worried as only one service a day to YYZ.

​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.