Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by sparkygirl
Do I go through immigration in both Ams and Sou?
thanks!!
No - you will arrive in the Non-Schengen side of AMS, and SOU is in the UK so departing also from that side. No security (as US is a trusted country) or immigration. Walk from one gate to the other.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
No, you go straight to your next flight upon arrival at AMS. You will clear immigration at SOU.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:44 pm

Thank you so much for the reply!!!
Very appreciated and will save me time and confusion
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, CX Asia Miles, FlyingBlue, TrueBlue
Hi - I have a four hour connection at Schiphol coming up. KLM, non-Schengen (UK) to Schengen (Switzerland).

If I want to see the Rijksmuseum in the terminal, should I plan to do so before or after passport control or will this not matter?

Hard to tell how this works from online maps of the airport. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2023, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by US HK UK flyer
Hi - I have a four hour connection at Schiphol coming up. KLM, non-Schengen (UK) to Schengen (Switzerland).

If I want to see the Rijksmuseum in the terminal, should I plan to do so before or after passport control or will this not matter?
It's in Holland Boulevard, between the E and F gates. That means it's in the non-Schengen part of the airport.

If you want to visit, you should do so *before* you cross over to the Schengen part of the airport for your flight to Switzerland. Otherwise, you will have passport control to enter Schengen, passport control to leave Schengen (and see the "museum"), and passport control to enter Schengen again. (I really would not recommend doing it like this; if you enter the Schengen zone before visiting the "museum", there is a good chance you will be prevented from exiting the Schengen zone if you try to go back to visit the "museum")

Your UK flight will likely arrive at the D pier, so going to visit the Museum effectively means you must go in a direction that is completely wrong for getting to your next flight; you won't naturally pass the "museum" if you just walk from your arrival point to the next gate.

Be particularly careful if you're on an Embraer and are brought to a bus gate; rather than following the connection signs for your Swiss gate (gates B/C/D), you'll need to follow the signs for the E/F gates.

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 26, 2023 at 4:35 pm
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
I have an inbound flight KL838 from Singapore connecting to Transavia HV6117 next week -- could someone please help confirm if the Singapore flight counts as "secure" and what that means from a security perspective at AMS? No need to pass through security, only passport control?

Also I understand even though my entire itinerary was booked through KLM, given that the second leg is with Transavia I don't have any Skyteam Elite Plus (non-FB) privileges at AMS?

Last edited by Kilian Zoll; Jul 27, 2023 at 1:39 am
Old Jul 27, 2023, 12:23 am

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Hi,
I'm flying next month from KWI-YEG (non-Schengen to non-Schengen). I remember watching a trip report where there's a KLM DC-10 cockpit in the terminal along with a couple of aviation-themed stores in the terminal as well. Is that still open post-COVID?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 1:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
I have an inbound flight KL838 from Singapore connecting to Transavia HV6117 next week -- could someone please help confirm if the Singapore flight counts as "secure" and what that means from a security perspective at AMS? No need to pass through security, only passport control?

Also I understand even though my entire itinerary was booked through KLM, given that the second leg is with Transavia I don't have any Skyteam Elite Plus (non-FB) privileges at AMS?
last time I checked SIN is indeed a safe origin, so no transfer security.

KL838 departs SIN after midnight so you may have an argument that you are transferring from an international SkyTeam flight departing on the same day, which would make you eligible for lounge access. If this works in practice I don’t know.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL

Originally Posted by dkeng
last time I checked SIN is indeed a safe origin, so no transfer security.

KL838 departs SIN after midnight so you may have an argument that you are transferring from an international SkyTeam flight departing on the same day, which would make you eligible for lounge access. If this works in practice I don’t know.
KL838 is the flight combined with Jakarta, therefore it's not considered safe (unless this has changed recently). Singapore is a safe origin, but only for direct, non-stop flights.

If you are on a KLM itinerary with a KLM codeshare for the Transavia-operated flight, you should get STE+ privileges, but I can't confirm 100% that this will be the case.

Originally Posted by qraec777
Hi,
I'm flying next month from KWI-YEG (non-Schengen to non-Schengen). I remember watching a trip report where there's a KLM DC-10 cockpit in the terminal along with a couple of aviation-themed stores in the terminal as well. Is that still open post-COVID?
There is a Planes@Plaza in the public area in the terminal, which sells things like plane models and airplane-themed toys, and it has a nose section of a DC-9 next to it, plus an engine and a gear leg from I think an A330 but possibly DC-10.

I am not aware of any aviation themed shop in the secure zones.
qraec777 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
KL838 is the flight combined with Jakarta, therefore it's not considered safe (unless this has changed recently). Singapore is a safe origin, but only for direct, non-stop flights.

If you are on a KLM itinerary with a KLM codeshare for the Transavia-operated flight, you should get STE+ privileges, but I can't confirm 100% that this will be the case.
I missed the Jakarta tag-on. Indeed you are correct.

I am sure I have witnessed passengers transiting from a US flight to HV being rejected at the lounge door due to not having a sky team flight departing on the day in question, although that was some time ago and policies may have changed.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Thank you both -- will try my luck re. lounge access on arrival given the flight I'm arriving on technically departs the same day. The Transavia flight has a KL flight number for what it's worth.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Thank you both -- will try my luck re. lounge access on arrival given the flight I'm arriving on technically departs the same day.
The "same day" issue relates only to the next departing flight; that your flight from SIN departed on the same day that you arrive in AMS does not, of itself, grant you lounge access in AMS.

(If you had status via FB, you would have access)

The Transavia flight has a KL flight number for what it's worth.
If it's booked under the KL code, then there is a good chance you can get into the lounge on that basis.

Good luck, and please return to let us know!
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Lithos
Hi all and apologies if this has been covered ad-nauseum previously.

I recently booked an award ticket for KIX-ICN-AMS-OSL, all business class and KLM + KLM cityhopper metal for the ICN-AMS-OSL legs. Flight is not until May 2024 so I definitely expect some schedule changes, but right now it is scheduled for 1h30m connect time in AMS.
My question is, what kind of connection time should I expect in AMS for this itinerary? Since I'm transiting from a non-secure, non-Schengen country (South Korea) I gather I need to clear both immigration and security in AMS? Would I need to recheck any luggage? I have both a USA and a Swiss passport if there's any difference in respect to transiting to Schengen. The ICN-AMS flight arrives quite early (0530) so I don't expect a huge queue, but correct me if I'm wrong in that respect.

Ideally I'd like at least a few minutes to spend in the KLM Crown lounge, but I have a feeling it might be rather tight. My ticket shows I have access to the KLM 25 Schengen lounge, would I have access to the non-Schengen Crown lounge as well with an incoming business ticket in case the flight is early?

I was looking something up and noticed this was never answered. Not that it's time sensitive

KIX-ICN-AMS-OSL means you will have to pass both transfer security and pasport control. Baggage, however, will be checked through.

With Swiss passport you will be able to use the EU passport holder line and also e-Gates if open at the time. Defintiely a faster experience.

All that considered, 1:30 is not a hugely long transfer time, but adequate. You can access either (or both) lounges if you end up having the time, but do keep in mind the walk to your OSL flight might be long from the passport control.
I would not do more than step in to look around at L52, unless you end up arriving really early.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:40 pm

I am looking to fly KLM from Dublin-Amsterdam-Belgrade, it has a 55 minute stopover, would I only have to do passport control as both non schengen? And would the short connection lane be available if needed? Pretty tight but I am tempted to risk it.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by aghalee_hero
I am looking to fly KLM from Dublin-Amsterdam-Belgrade, it has a 55 minute stopover, would I only have to do passport control as both non schengen? And would the short connection lane be available if needed? Pretty tight but I am tempted to risk it.
You would not need to do passport control at all in AMS. As you say, both are non-schengen and you simply walk from the arrival gate to the departure gate.
aghalee_hero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.