Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2024, 4:03 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
With a 6-hour layover, I'd frankly go to the Amsterdam city centre (it's only 15 mins away from the airport by train), but if that's not an option for whatever reason, your plan also works.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
You will have to go through transfer security, but once you have done that, you can go to the lounge.

Since you have Privium, you can also easily take an alternative route in case transfer security is busy, that is, take the passport control to landside and reenter via Departures 2 or 3. Either way you can do what you plan to.

gojko: I don't know. I would do it if it was nice out, but if it's a nasty Dutch winter day... considering ok986 is quite familiar with Amsterdam as it is, might not be worth the trouble.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Thanks to both for advice! Good to know that my plan makes sense. The transit will be on a Saturday afternoon, so i suspect the queues won’t be too long.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Current NS->S evening transfer time

Dear AMS experts,

I have been lucky enough to mostly avoid transferring in AMS in the past few months. Turns out I'm going to have to fly a ticket with a NS->S, with only 60 minutes between STA and STD. Between arrival security, and passport control, it seems a bit rushed, even at 9PM. The incoming flight being often 30-60m late doesn't make it better.

Does anyone have fresh DPs about the NS->S queues during weekdays evenings?
Old Jan 13, 2024, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Varies wildly. There is always the short connection lane...
maalloc likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2024, 11:13 pm

looking into booking FCO - AMS - IAH
I'm a newbie so bare with me. All will be through KLM, flying J if that matters. Connection time will be 1hr05 minutes. This will be with my wife and 8 yr old kid. Not checking any bags. Only carry-ons. Will I make the connection?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ericch26
looking into booking FCO - AMS - IAH
I'm a newbie so bare with me. All will be through KLM, flying J if that matters. Connection time will be 1hr05 minutes. This will be with my wife and 8 yr old kid. Not checking any bags. Only carry-ons. Will I make the connection?
1h05 should be plenty but bear in mind slight delay with FCO-AMS could make it impossible.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by jondo
1h05 should be plenty but bear in mind slight delay with FCO-AMS could make it impossible.
Thanks!
Will I have to go through passport control and security?
also, will KLM cover the cost for a new ticket if I miss my connection due to delay coming from FCO?
Old Jan 25, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Security no, passport control yes. KLM will not "cover the cost" of a new ticket, but will rebook you directly onto the first available flight/connection to IAH, at no expense to you.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88
will rebook you directly onto the first available flight/connection to IAH, at no expense to you.
Unless they are two separate tickets.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Greetings. I'm flying ORD-AMS-NBO (all KLM) and later returning NBO-AMS-SLC (KLM to DL). I have lots of time on the outbound and from what I can tell it's a simple NS-NS connection, with the US departure being secure I believe I should just be able to head to the onward gate.

For the return, there's just over two hours, and NS-NS, but transfer security, yes? Arriving around 7a.m. is transfer security busy/slow? Anything else I might need to know?

Also, are KLM flight attendants still able to bag Delft houses for this transfer, or is that necessary? I can probably fit one into my personal liquids quart bag if needed.
Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW
but transfer security, yes? Arriving around 7a.m. is transfer security busy/slow? Also, are KLM flight attendants still able to bag Delft houses for this transfer ?
Hello,

Yes, you will have to go through transfer security on your return journey. Schiphol currently expects the 07am - 09am period to be one of the busiest for arrivals. (I personally never find transfer security to be very busy at that time. You might even arrive earlier. It depends of the day. I am sure you'll be fine.)

The house should be fine. And worst case scenario, you'll just open and enjoy it. Nothing like a 7am shot of gin at security before a TATL flight.

Enjoy your trip to Kenya !
Old Jan 29, 2024, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW
Also, are KLM flight attendants still able to bag Delft houses for this transfer, or is that necessary? I can probably fit one into my personal liquids quart bag if needed.
Thanks.
Not sure what you mean by bagging. You mean like duty free items?
They are just small ceramic pieces.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:15 am
Original Poster

In the past, KLM was able to put your house with appropriate "receipt" in a sealed bag for security scans. Alternatives would be to drink the jenever (at which point, the house becomes a ceramic piece) or put it with your small liquids (assuming that the house is marked with liquid volume contained)
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Frequently Asked Questions - and Answers to them
  1. Can I go to Amsterdam during my long transfer?
    • In principle, yes. Amsterdam city is close to the airport and well connected. Keep in mind that Schiphol and/or the train company NS is currently understaffed and you need to get back to the airport a lot sooner then normal. (see Mess in Amsterdam thread for refrence)
    • The easiest way to reach central Amsterdam is by train. There are trains leaving Schiphol to Amsterdam and vice versa every 10 minutes or even less, the trip to Centraal takes about 15 minutes.
    • Return ticket to Amsterdam Centraal costs 9,20. You can buy it online and use QR code on your phone, print it or you can buy a ticket in the blue and yellow machines in the baggage hall or in the train station area. Note that buying a paper ticket in the machine carries a surcharge of 1 EUR per ticket. You can also get a 10% discount for off-peak ticket if you book 4 days in advance
    • Towards Amsterdam, look for departures to Amsterdam Centraal only. There are trains in other directions that pass through Amsterdam Zuid, but all trains to Centraal terminate there. (Note: service outages might affect train routing. If you can, plan your trip on ns.nl website)
    • From Amsterdam back to the airport, look for Sprinters to Hoofddorp or Den Haag Centraal, or Intercity Direct to Rotterdam, Breda or Brussels. Imporant: Do not take regular Intercity to Rotterdam! These trains go through Haarlem and Hemstede-Aardenhout to Leiden, not via the airport. (A good rule of thumb, at least until new generation trains start running - does it have locomotives at end and regular carriages? Then it's an ICD and it goes through the airport. Is it a unit, either double decker, or with those funny cabs on top at the end? Then it's a regular IC, these do not run to the airport from Centraal.)
  2. I have a self-connecting transfer. Will I have to leave airside and go landside? What if I don't have any checked luggage?
    • If you have checked luggage, you will have to go landside. It is not possible to re-check baggage in the baggage claim area, and it is not possible to enter airside from baggage claim either.
    • If you don't have checked luggage, you can carry on to your departure gate. In case of Schengen and Secure Non-Schengen arrivals (see Wiki), there is no security check either. There are also transfer desks in the airside, where you can usually obtain a BP for your connecting flight.
    • The exception is self-connection to M gates, used by easyJet and Ryanair. To reach M pier, you do have to leave the secure area.

Reserved for FAQ summary (1)
​​​​​Basically if I travel from a Schengen country to any other country via Amsterdam, I won't have to go security.

If I travel from a non Schengen country to a Schengen or non Schengen country via Amsterdam, I will skip security only if I come from a non Schengen EU country (Bulgaria/Romania/Ireland), the UK, the US, Canada and Singapore?
Aren't there any other countries on this safe list, such as Australia/New Zealand, Israel or Turkey?
Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.