Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Fabo.sk
Minimum Connection Times

Standard MCT is 40 minutes for Schengen and 50 minutes for Non-Schengen flights.
Individual airlines/destinations might have raised MCTs though, for example connections from Delta to Schengen KLM raise MCT of 1 hour.
Under no circumstances should self-connecting passengers use these times as a guide for their own travel.

Amsterdam terminals/lounges

Amsterdam Schiphol airport operates on a single terminal concept.

Airside, there are 4 "lounges", Lounge 1 in the Schengen area, lounges 2-3 in Non-Schengen, lounge 4 is Schengen. These Lounges are not airline lounges, they refer to common terminal areas outside the piers. Do not confuse them with VIP lounges, those are signposted as "airline lounges".
Lounge 1 is between piers C and D, lounge 2 between D and E, lounge 3 by pier F, and lastly lounge 4 is connected to Schengen gates M (low-cost pier). Additionally, area between piers E and F is called Holland Boulevard. Keep this in mind as you mind find location references based on these.

All lounges are interconnected and you can pass between them without leaving secure area (the only exception being Schengen low-cost pier, more in Piers section)

Piers and gate numbering

There are 7 piers. Going counterclockwise from south:
  • B pier, Schengen: Used by some KLM Cityhopper flights (bus gates as well as non-jetway positions reachable from the terminal by stairs), Lufthansa Group airlines, LOT and some lowcost airlines.
  • C pier, Schengen:
  • D pier, combined: This pier is capable of handling both Schengen and Non-Schengen flights. Non-Schengen gates are on the main level (plus bus gates on ground level), Schengen gates on top.
  • E pier, non-Schengen:
  • F pier, non-Schengen:
  • G pier, non-Schengen:
  • H/M pier: H/M pier is a low-cost pier used mainly by easyJet. The setup here is a bit unusual: Pier is separated in half lenghtwise. The part closer to the aprons is non-Schengen and is connected to the non-Schengen areas of the airport at the junction of pier G. The part further from the apron is Schengen part (M gates) and is not connected to other parts of the airport, with own security control and a small shopping/F&B area. The gates are on the ground level, with the stairs to them in the middle between Schengen and non-Schengen walkways, accessible from either side as needed. Aircraft are reached by walking from the gate to the airplane directly in front.

Transfer security

Transfer security is not needed when connecting from Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen destinations (except in case of self connect with baggage pickup, or self-connect to Schengen low-cost pier).
In case of connecting from non-Schengen to either Schengen or non-Schengen, transfer security is required, unless coming from following secure arrival countries:
Non-Schengen EU
(Romania, Ireland etc.), United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Singapore (important: does not apply to flights via Denpasar or Jakarta, only direct non-stop flights!)
All other must pass through transfer security

Passport control

There is central transfer passport control location just off the level of pier D.
e-Gates are available, but not always turned on.

Holders of select non-EU biometric passports can also use these e-Gates, in particular when leaving Schengen.

Airline/VIP lounges

Following lounges are available in AMS:

Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge (landside) - between Departures 1 and 2 on check-in level. To the left of entrance of Departures 1 security. Only accessible to Privium holders departing Amsterdam.
Privium Express Lounge (airside) - one level above departures, next to entrance to D pier (by former entrance to terrace). Only open until 1pm. Now open until 9pm. Only accessible to Privium holders (departing or arriving).
KLM Crown Lounge 25 - one level above departures, on level of D pier (above passport control) away from apron. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A26 Lounge - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace), accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
StarAlliance Lounge (A27) - two levels above departures (level of Panorama terrace) - next to A26, accessible via area by D pier above passport control. Caters to StarAlliance. If closed, eligible pax can use A26 immediately next door instead

Non-Schengen:
Privium Club Lounge West (airside) - main departure level, Holland Boulevard (between E and F), side away from apron. Behind restaurant Dutch Kitchen. Only accessible to Privium holders and passengers of Singapore airlines.
KLM Crown Lounge 52 - main departure level, Holland Boulevard, closer to pier F. Escalators or elevators will take you to reception one level up. Caters to SkyTeam and select partners.
Aspire A41 Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Accessible with Priority Pass and other buy-in providers.
British Airways Lounge - two levels above Lounge 2 (close to D pier). Access next to Frames restaurant. Permanently closed; pax can use A41 instead.

Baggage

If you are connecting through Schiphol on one Skyteam itinerary, your bags will be checked through to your final destination, regardless of how long the layover is.

If you are connecting through Schiphol on separate itineraries (a.k.a "self-connecting") and the two airlines do not have an interline agreement, then you will need to recheck your bags. You will need to pick up your bags, go landside, check them again, and re-enter through security.

Print Wikipost

Connecting in Amsterdam [AMS] - Consolidated thread of transfer Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Could use some advice on a potential DL/KLM itin. Outbound is MAD-DL-ATL-DL-MSY, return is MSY-DL-ATL-KL-AMS-KL-BCN, in business class. I'd actually like to return to edinburgh and I don't have time to fly -BCN-EDI.

Will I have problems flying MSY-ATL-AMS, abandoning the AMS-BCN segment and catching either a separately booked KLM AMS-EDI or an easyjet AMS-EDI? I assume no checked luggage and with ample time (3 hrs for KLM, 4 hrs for easyjet) it should be okay?

Will I have to clear schengen passport control to access a non schengen gate on a separate ticket? I'm on a US passport if it matters and I assume they won't hassle me too much.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Short connection pass applies to transfer security.

On passport control, there is a TV screen which lists which flights are eligible for short connection lane. Your flight will probably be there by the time you reach passport control, unless arriving unusually early from GOA.

In general, 50 minutes is fine, it's not the most relaxing connection, but it's definitely doable.
50 is fine although it feels tight.

I managed NS - S on a 40 minute connection with a 10 minute late landing, 5minutes waiting for a stand and 5 more minutes waiting for the bus and an on-time second flight. Was the 2nd last person onto the second flight but got there.

So it is possible. If you have a short connection (officially) your short connection line pass actually comes up in the KLM app - it all goes red and it really obvious.
annaschummi likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oopsz
Could use some advice on a potential DL/KLM itin. Outbound is MAD-DL-ATL-DL-MSY, return is MSY-DL-ATL-KL-AMS-KL-BCN, in business class. I'd actually like to return to edinburgh and I don't have time to fly -BCN-EDI.

Will I have problems flying MSY-ATL-AMS, abandoning the AMS-BCN segment and catching either a separately booked KLM AMS-EDI or an easyjet AMS-EDI? I assume no checked luggage and with ample time (3 hrs for KLM, 4 hrs for easyjet) it should be okay?

Will I have to clear schengen passport control to access a non schengen gate on a separate ticket? I'm on a US passport if it matters and I assume they won't hassle me too much.
Can you try and book an openjaw ending in EDI? Would be cleaner.

But in principle shouldn't be an issue. Arriving from the US will deposit you in the departure concourse. If flying easyJet, in theory all you need to do is no-show. Would be nice of you to cancel your checkin so the gate staff knows not to try and wait for you.
In principle same holds true if you fly with KLM, but I am not sure if there are checks to prevent duplicate bookings..
oopsz likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Can you try and book an openjaw ending in EDI? Would be cleaner.

But in principle shouldn't be an issue. Arriving from the US will deposit you in the departure concourse. If flying easyJet, in theory all you need to do is no-show. Would be nice of you to cancel your checkin so the gate staff knows not to try and wait for you.
In principle same holds true if you fly with KLM, but I am not sure if there are checks to prevent duplicate bookings..
yeah that was my concern re duplicate bookings. I know AA (for example) does check for duplicate bookings and may cancel if inconsistent.

I would love to do a return open jaw to EDI but this is a discounted business ticket that must return to Spain, and changing the dest to the UK more than doubles the fare.

I appreciate the sanity check. I think I’ll chance it and book the easy jet to avoid any potential KLM issues.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying LHR-AMS on BA in Y, self connecting to AMS-XMN-SYD in J on XMN. 5 hours 20 mins connection time. Easy, right?

If all goes well with the BA flight I'll have time to kill. Would I be right in thinking that if I checked a bag I'd have to clear immigration, collect luggage then wait until XMN bag check opens at about T-2 hours (presumably) then go back airside again? But if I'm HBO I can get an XMN boarding pass from the connections desk and stay airside?

The next issue is is there any lounge that will accept me 5 hours before departure? I'm OWE - which is useless in this scenario I imagine, but will have access to KLM lounges 25 and 52 because of my connecting J flight, but also Aspire 26 and 41 through AMEX.

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by the-doctor; Mar 12, 2024 at 2:47 am
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:47 am
Original Poster

KLM is not practicing per-flight check-in so you ought to be able to drop your bag as soon as you recover it. Through check will not be possible.

OWE will not help you unless there is some weird exception in lounge rules for branded lounges to allow access on arrival.

Paid (Aspire) lounges will let you in 3 hours before departure. KLM should be fine.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:01 am

KLM is not practicing per-flight check-in so you ought to be able to drop your bag as soon as you recover it. Through check will not be possible.

OWE will not help you unless there is some weird exception in lounge rules for branded lounges to allow access on arrival.

Paid (Aspire) lounges will let you in 3 hours before departure. KLM should be fine.
Thanks, RE bag drop...I'm not flying KLM....do they handle baggage and check in on behalf of Xiamen or have I mussunderstood?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Ah, but you are in the KLM forum, so I naturally assumed you are flying KLM. Even though on reflection they don't fly to Xiamen anymore.

KLM is handling the checking for MF, but I am not sure if the "any-time" bag drop is also possible for partner airlines.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 5:29 am

Gotcha, thanks. Sorry for being OT...there's no Xiamen forum, and I couldn't find a Schipol forum, so I figured you KLM/Schipol regulars might know best...Mods: feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if there is one...
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: ITA
Me again. Booked on GOA-AMS-BRU, 40 min connection in AMS. Both legs are on KL metal, but E175, so probably bus transportation to terminal?
Need to rush? Is supposed to be the same terminal (B?)?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 12:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by annaschummi
Me again. Booked on GOA-AMS-BRU, 40 min connection in AMS. Both legs are on KL metal, but E175, so probably bus transportation to terminal?
Need to rush? Is supposed to be the same terminal (B?)?
If you are bussed in to the terminal, then you will need to walk back to the B concourse. Now that the travelators are gone, it would be best to walk briskly, especially if your departure gate is B26 or more since those can take a good 10-15 mins to get to depending on how fast you walk.
annaschummi likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I travelled LBA-AMS-DUS return Business class this weekend and had my first experience of negotiating the transfer queues at Schiphol. Lets just say that I learned a few lessons...
OUTWARD: Saturday 08:30, arrived at AMS. My DUS connection departed at 10:15 but transfer queues were stretched well into the shopping area. The situation was looking so chaotic that I decided to get a place in the queue immediately, finally getting to the departure gate at 09:40. No time to relax in the Schengen lounge.
This was a mistake on my part. I should have gone straight to the non-Schengen lounge and returned to the transfer area after 09:15. I could then have joined the short-connection queue, for connections less than 1 hour.
RETURN: Monday 14:30, flight from DUS was delayed by 20 mins. With about 1h connection time I was worried about transfer chaos at Schiphol, but I went to the short-connection queue. It was very quick and spat me out just next to the UK-bound gates.
the-doctor likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:25 pm

NS Lounge Access on Arrival

Flying JFK-AMS in WBC, connecting to AMS-NCE on a separate ticket but also in business. Have a 4+ hour connection so not too worried about immigration. If I wanted to visit the NS lounge upon arrival, could I do this straightforwardly with either my JFK-AMS inbound boarding pass or even my AMS-NCE outbound boarding pass?

I believe this is possible with just the inbound boarding pass. Indeed, lounge.klm.com advertises "a refreshing shower after a long flight". But considering my onward journey is a separate ticket, any issues expected?

Plan is to go to NS lounge for a shower, then head over to Schengen with reasonable time for immigration (60-90min).
Old Mar 22, 2024, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

You're better off using your Nice BP to enter. If they send you to Schengen, tell them you know, but you want a shower and will be faster here.
elitelite likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:25 am

50-min Layover in AMS....Will I make my connection?

KLM has a flight on their site from Athens, Greece to JFK with a 50-min layover in AMS. I assume they believe this is enough time to make the connection, but am looking for anyone with experience for reassurance this is doable. Thanks
Details: One-way flight on August 2, 2024 from Athens to JFK.
Athens, Greece (ATH) to Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) flight KL1954 8/2/24 - arriving in AMS at 16:15
50-min layover
Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS) to New York, NY (JFK) flight KL0643 8/2/24 - departing AMS at 17:05

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.