Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Originally Posted by JacobNL
Dutch press is reporting massive queues in Eindhoven airport.... https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2291...dhoven-airport
Pretty afwul,
I am not that familiair anymore with Eindhoven airport but i guess like Rotterdam,
their Transavia flights tend to depart also in the early morning and later afternoon which means peak times.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:19 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Tilto007
From drop off outside to sit down at gate is around 2 hrs. Not great but not a complete disaster. Lines are epic but they do keep moving.
Again a data point suggesting the mornings are more of a problem/risk as late afternoons or evenings. Glad I moved my flight to Oslo from Sunday early afternoon to the day before late evening - my host organisation didn't mind paying an extra night, luckily.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Pretty afwul,
I am not that familiair anymore with Eindhoven airport but i guess like Rotterdam,
their Transavia flights tend to depart also in the early morning and later afternoon which means peak times.
The problem at all airports is people arriving exceptionally early because of the uncertainty about the queues.

In the old days I guess on average people arrived 1.5 - 2 hours before their flight - now I have heard (and we are reading) about people arriving 5 or 6 hours before their flight, leading to exceptional queues especially in the (early) morning.

Until the queues are predictable again I don’t see how this problem can be solved. (as far as I know the 4 hour limit at Schiphol is seldom enforced)
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
It wasn't enforced Friday evening, but to be honest I don't know if it would be safe to try to enforce it. One pax who missed their flight despite being there 4 hours in advance and they'll incite a riot.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
It wasn't enforced Friday evening, but to be honest I don't know if it would be safe to try to enforce it. One pax who missed their flight despite being there 4 hours in advance and they'll incite a riot.
If there aren't any queues, as I experienced Sat evening, there is no reason to enforce the 4 hour rule.....
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Just go in the night before, and sleep on the floor, to be sure, or do they lock the airport overnight?
JacobNL likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
If there aren't any queues, as I experienced Sat evening, there is no reason to enforce the 4 hour rule.....
In that case yes of course, but on Friday evening as I arrived to check in to my flight and try to rebook myself, the line stretched all the way to Door H and further out.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
In that case yes of course, but on Friday evening as I arrived to check in to my flight and try to rebook myself, the line stretched all the way to Door H and further out.
Situation is really impredictable then....Friday evening bad, Saturday evening empty....Next flight Tue 18:00-ish, will start lighting candles...
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by atflyer
Situation is really impredictable then....Friday evening bad, Saturday evening empty....Next flight Tue 18:00-ish, will start lighting candles...
Friday evening is never not gonna be a heavy time. Most business travelers fly home Thursday or Friday night, and a lot of leisure travelers also like to fly out Friday night so they don't have to take time off, but still have a full Saturday in their destination.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:34 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Interesting. The LH check in agent told you to use the SkyPriority priority lane, going through the 'back entrance'? This one:

Some people have been doing that previously but this was considered 'against the rules'. Was there any agent at the gate to check your LH boarding pass, and did they let you through without having to argue with them? Or you just went through the gates with the "do not enter" sign without talking to anyone? (I'd have done the same, by the way..)
LH agent wasn't very helpful, was just told "back towards the KLM SkyPriority". So I may have used the wrong lane. But yes I was allowed with LH BP (agent checking each BP, no arguing required).
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:21 am

My question is not about KLM, but it is about the mess at AMS, so I hope it’s okay to ask here.
On Sunday July 17 I hope to fly to VNO on Air Baltic. Air Baltic is not a SkyTeam member.
I’m currently booked in Economy. If I upgrade to Business Class will I be allowed to use the priority line at security?
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:43 am

9:20 AM on Monday 27/6. Line stretching past the tents outside.

mpkz, Tilto007 and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:52 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Been keeping an eye on this thread for a while. Now that I need to settle for a time of arrival, I'd like some advice. I've used Schiphol plenty times, but never with a cat or in super crowded times.

We are flying Wed 29th of June in the afternoon, within Schengen zone with check-in at departure 1 for emigration purposes as EU citizens, I believe this is without passport check. We're with a cat that doesn't like being caged, goes into the cabin with us (so no check-in for him). Two checked-in luggage and a KLM flex ticket (Skypriority). Planning to come with the train so we can avoid bottleneck entrance.

I'm not sure where I read that departure 2 is where the Skypriority security is. Is this true? Or just use check-in behind dep 1?

Suggested comfortable time would be 2 hours according to the Wiki. Can somebody confirm this for my situation? I'm currently considering 3 hours in advance since procedure might take longer with a cat at security. Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:36 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Just received a call from a somewhat panicked family member at AMS. Arrival at the airport exactly 4 hr before departure. KLM baggage drop took two hours (not sure if that was due to a queue or them not letting any bags be checked prior to a specific time). They called me while stuck in the line for non-Schengen Departures 2 security (non-prio) at the time of departure of their flight, ready to give up and bail.

Manage to convince them to give it a try and stay in line. They got through about half an hour later and were still able to board, around 45m after standard departure time. Original departure ~13:30, they arrived at the airport ~09:30 and in the end boarded after 14:00. Flight departed shortly after.

Now the question is if their luggage had already been offloaded...
nk15 and Tilto007 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
S to NS queue at around 3PM today. It's longer than at the same time last Saturday, but it looks reasonable enough still.

AnaTFN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.