Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89
I'm not debating whether or not it's the correct procedure (which I think is pretty clear from my comments) my point is that it's a strange setup (versus CDG where there is mostly a true split between SP in security and priority check-in) and odd way to spend resource if people are actually being bumped from inside the area (policing internal SP area versus policing the back gate of SP).

Seems like I'm not the only one who thinks the approach is odd.

Also a bit strange that I have never (when was silver 4 or so years ago) been asked to leave the SP area after checking in or seen anyone ever asked to leave the area for being Silver-can't imagine Silver passengers being bumped from the area being considered a good user experience... makes far more sense to just have them use a priority lane at regular checkin to avoid drama and awkwardness.
Indeed - pretty sure it could be made less confusing. Presumably the issue is that the architechture of the SP area is retrofitted to the building, and they had to make do with what they had. A blank-page design would likely do a lot differently. Differentiating Elite and Elite Plus for landside benefits must make sense for economic reasons [as I'm sure there are many more of the former than the latter] - but that combined with the connected nature of check-in and security for the SP area are naturally going to lead to confusion.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by CyBeR
The scanner gate does not reject silvers or for that matter anyone with a valid boarding pass. Normally (i.e. outside of meltdown times) people coming from the SP check-in area aren't checked by staff either, so while priority security isn't a perk of FB silver, defacto it is as they just walk up the stairs after checkin in at the SP desks.
No indeed. I presume that's how it's meant to work, but that it's not been implemented [possibly because KL et al haven't done a great job of encoding companions?].
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:47 am

I don't think it's retrofitted actually; this whole security mezzanine level is a new development added in the past 5 or so years, when SP was well-established. They designed it this way to make the whole thing a more seamless experience, and seemingly took for granted that some non-eligible people (notably silver/ste) would be able to use the priority security. I suspect the bp scanner gate is there for billing purposes more than for access control (other than rejecting those without a valid bp at all).

Before they added the mezzanine level for security, you'd walk out the back of the SP check-in area and to a the security entrance with a staffer checking boarding passes for the priority line, and since one could not be presumed to be eligible for it, they checked everyone.
etiene and FlyingBlonde89 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Flying AMS-HEL next week and then onwards to India. Do Finnair Business class passengers have access to any priority lanes for Terminal entrance?
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:19 am

Flew in yesterday Tuesday ("busy but not peak day"). I was on a very delayed flight from ABZ (3h+) because a/c flew in with broken APU and then the one and only engine starter at ABZ broke down. So we had to wait until they find an engine starter from WWII as it looked like. So around 4pm, minimal queues at passport control both for the NS-S and the exit to AMS.

However, a friend of mine flying out that time (4-5pm), mentioned that many flights were delayed and then their captain mentioned that this is due to lack of capacity in baggage handling and other departments. He also mentioned that he is ashamed of how KLM cannot manage this situation and apologised for the delay.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:14 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mitellic
Haven't departed from AMS before and am due to on a Tues early Aug on a 7.15 AMS-FCO flight in J on KLM. After seeing the queues and messages one would think that it is necessary to arrive 3-4 hours before your flight, but for a 7am departure this seems like madness.

Does anyone have experience of how busy the queues are around 5-6am at the moment?
Skypriority opens at 4:30AM, so there is no use in arriving earlier. Lots and lots of holiday flights leave early morning, so it will be very busy in the terminal. Leave some time to be able to enter the terminal in case access is restricted due to crowds. Once in the terminal you should be able to check in and get through Skypriority security in <1hr. No guarantees but that seems reasonable to me from what I've seen. Personally I'd try to be there some 3hr before departure. Worst case you'll have an extra coffee at the lounge
mitellic likes this.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 29, 2022 at 6:21 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Checked bags at the belt at arrivals Amsterdam
=>
and it is not even the end of the Dutch summer holidays yet....

https://nos.nl/artikel/2434545-stape...er-aan-de-hand

So don't pack anything truely special....

Last edited by HadesNL; Jun 29, 2022 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Looks messy these days

Last edited by Kleffen; Jun 29, 2022 at 8:07 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by dubistokay
I can confirm that I was checked before entering the SP check-in area AND after going up the SP escalator passing through the Privium gate upstairs. Many people turned away, presumably Silvers who made use of the SP check-in.
Wow. Okay then. They are investing staff in double checking. Interesting use of resources. I guess yay for me being behind fewer people at security but seems like there's better ways to use the staff when apparently there's shortages all over the show.

Does anyone have experience with getting access to SP check-in and security by showing their ST E+ status with another airline? I understand from this forum and the ST website that this is indeed a benefit, however am yet to see any real-life reports. In my case, I'd have FB Silver on my boarding pass and be able to present a separate ITA ST E+ card.
My experience has been your status must match the airline you're flying with (or at least be part of the same loyalty program although I've been occasionally burned by Delta).
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: FB Plat (Y3), All Accor Gold (Y2)
<snip>

Somehow I thought this wan't answered yet, turns out I'm blind.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Does anyone have experience with getting access to SP check-in and security by showing their ST E+ status with another airline? I understand from this forum and the ST website that this is indeed a benefit, however am yet to see any real-life reports. In my case, I'd have FB Silver on my boarding pass and be able to present a separate ITA ST E+ card.
Last August, me being a DL Gold then, DL ticket KL metal, showing my status on the DL app and was granted access to the SP check in area, together with my 2 kids. Had no boarding passes or the KL app.
We then got BPs with Sky Priority printed on all BPs.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
STE(+) status will give you access to the SP check-in area. The agents then don't care further.

STE+ card with other than STE+ status on BP (i.e. no SkyPrio) might or might not work with the gatekeeper of Prio security line. YMMV.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by robert4travels
Last August, me being a DL Gold then, DL ticket KL metal, showing my status on the DL app and was granted access to the SP check in area, together with my 2 kids. Had no boarding passes or the KL app.
We then got BPs with Sky Priority printed on all BPs.
This is how it's supposed to work. It's part of the same program. (My only issues with Delta have been around their systems not picking up my status automatically for lounge access and one random issue with boarding where the member of staff didn't get it. )

ITA isn't part of the same program so unless status was previously matched (something they at one point offered) OP is likely out of luck.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89
This is how it's supposed to work. It's part of the same program. (My only issues with Delta have been around their systems not picking up my status automatically for lounge access and one random issue with boarding where the member of staff didn't get it. )

ITA isn't part of the same program so unless status was previously matched (something they at one point offered) OP is likely out of luck.
ITA is part of SkyTeam. ITA Elite Plus should have SkyPriority, assuming they finally managed to integrate.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:51 pm

Hi, I'm considering flying from Schiphol on a Schengen flight at 19:45 on 13/07 (i.e. Wednesday). However, I can only get to the airport around 3h before the flight, which I'm not sure is enough. Then again, given it is the middle of the week and a Schengen flight, hand luggage only, that might be enough? Or do you guys think it's too risky (especially in case there are any train delays or other obstacles along the way) and I should just fly the next day when I can get there earlier?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.