Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:19 am
Suspended

Finnair cancelled one of their two dailies July-August
Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Off the train at 1708 and airside by 1724 with Privium in D3. Most of that wait was what I presume to have been a trainee on the scanner who had the entire belt backed up, with a couple of minutes for a random secondary swab. At least the belt-minder was very strict on whose turn it was to load their tray rather than allowing the 1 and 2 positions to barge in.

Didn’t really see the normal security, but colleagues said it took 30-45 mins total - so not “miss your flight” bad unless you were pushing your luck to start with.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:22 pm

I am looking for some guidance. It's been several years since I flew internationally. I'm a USA citizen. We are flying out of AMS to Rome on KLM next Wednesday evening. We will be coming by train from the Amsterdam. We will have to check-in luggage. So first I will need to check in luggage. Will it be obvious if the lines are for security line vs checking in luggage? Is there self-check-in for luggage? After I check in luggage and get through security, is there anything else I need to do? I am reading about passport control; but I think because we are flying into Italy that will not be needed. Is that true? Seemed like this past Wednesday was not as busy, so hoping that is the trend, We leave on cruise on Thursday evening from Rome so want to do what I can to not make any mistakes that will cause us to miss our flight. Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by ftb
What's the latest on priority security for *A business fares (Schengen)? Flying next weekend and I want to know if there's a chance I need to go through the regular flow and will need to be there 4 hours early anyhow.
There is indeed priority security for *A business. It is not obvious, however - hidden behind KLM Priority checkin. Ask *A checkin staff.

Priority line took 25 minutes this morning (busy) - I am traveling LH. No passport control for Schengen, of course.
jerry_greece and GWFan like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by odie11
Was hoping someone could clarify something for me. Our daughter will be returning home for the summer from university. She has Delta Silver status. Will that get her in any of the fast lanes for security and/ or bypass those long queues? I am telling her to bring carry on only. Not sure if Delta is allowing for online check in for a US citizen now since no test is required. She's flying June 29 AMS-BOS 2:40PM. Thank you.
Sorry, DL Silver gives you priority check in but not priority security. So she should give herself plenty of time, just to be sure, to clear security.

Oddly enough, she will be able to check in or drop off bags quickly with priority check in, that won’t be the issue.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green

This morning. A friend spent 2 hours in the normal (no priority) security queue between 3:30 and 5:30AM
Xandrios, HadesNL, mpkz and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: FB Plat
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
This morning. A friend spent 2 hours in the normal (no priority) security queue between 3:30 and 5:30AM
At 3:30am!!!!!
Is the airport staff still enforcing the 4-hour max arrival limit? it was designed to avoid worse-than-necessary situations and I wonder if spending the night cueing for 2 hours is is the new normal for just the early morning flights (or made worse by noon flight passengers being there at 4am). Wow, just wow...
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by AnaTFN
Is the airport staff still enforcing the 4-hour max arrival limit? it was designed to avoid worse-than-necessary situations and I wonder if spending the night cueing for 2 hours is is the new normal for just the early morning flights (or made worse by noon flight passengers being there at 4am). Wow, just wow...
That's gotta be a large part of it, and a large part of the sheer randomness - queues beget cautiousness beget queues.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Pretty awful if this is only the prelude to the summer holidays ....

Thanks Sjoerd : for letting us know !
Netherlines likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 4:40 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by marks88
There is indeed priority security for *A business. It is not obvious, however - hidden behind KLM Priority checkin. Ask *A checkin staff.
Priority line took 25 minutes this morning (busy) - I am traveling LH. No passport control for Schengen, of course.
Interesting. The LH check in agent told you to use the SkyPriority priority lane, going through the 'back entrance'? This one:

Some people have been doing that previously but this was considered 'against the rules'. Was there any agent at the gate to check your LH boarding pass, and did they let you through without having to argue with them? Or you just went through the gates with the "do not enter" sign without talking to anyone? (I'd have done the same, by the way..)

One thing to note is that Skypriority check in only opens at 04:30AM. And at that time, departures 2 security (which is where the escalator ends up) is still closed. unclear to me when security does open there. There may, or may not, be a way to move upstairs from Departures 2 to Departures 1. Last week I had to ask staff to open some of the barriers upstairs as Departures 2 was still closed, and the priority lane through to Departures 1 was roped off.

If this is, in fact, now the official new Priority lane for all elites/business pax (So not only KLM Skypriority like it has been so far) then that would be a very good development for everyone not flying Skyteam. Slightly less great news for SkyPriority and Privium pax as more people will be using this priority lane.

Schiphol says this... not too clear. but they do confirm that there should be a priority entrance for non Skyteam pax... theoretically.

Hello, Xandrios. If travelers moving towards the security lane are being redirected, a temporary entrance for priority travelers will be used. We advise asking the passenger assistants on site for this new location of the entrance. ^Jim

Originally Posted by AnaTFN
The closer to summer, the more people will be on those awful 5-6-7 AM Transavia flights out of Departures 1. For some reason the majority of Transavia aircraft depart at that hour, and these are mainly holiday destinations. I'm pretty sure this is the majority of the Departures 1 queue at the early morning.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 24, 2022 at 4:50 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by robert4travels
Sorry, DL Silver gives you priority check in but not priority security. So she should give herself plenty of time, just to be sure, to clear security.

Oddly enough, she will be able to check in or drop off bags quickly with priority check in, that won’t be the issue.
DL Silver Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite) does NOT give (sky)priority check-in access at Schiphol. Gold Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite Plus) does get SkyPriority access.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by terrier
DL Silver Medallion (= SkyTeam Elite) does NOT give (sky)priority check-in access at Schiphol.
Yes, it does.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

Oh my word that is horrific

I have never been sooooo grateful for my Privium membership!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)

Oh my word that is horrific

I have never been sooooo grateful for my Privium membership!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Yes, it does.
Good luck arguing that with the employee guarding the entrance to the SP check-in area when your BP/itin does not have SkyPriority printed on it. In any case I would never rely on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.