Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:57 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
temp

Apparently there is only 1 runway operating at the moment, due to runway maintenance and crosswinds. I arrived 2hrs late from CDG. Massive queues at the transfer desks.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 5:45 am

Programs: FB Gold
There's a notice/waiver on the KLM site for 23/04 citing maintenance and unfavourable winds as mentioned above.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gulbra
Apparently there is only 1 runway operating at the moment
Somebody has been telling you porkies.

Looks like three to me.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing shocking about those crosswinds either.

Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
The captain on KL1407 said delay is due to construction in AMS. At least our delay is only 30 minutes.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Bezoekbas.nl says both 18L/36R and 09/27 are out of use due to maintenance. So that puts some restrictions on operations even if the wind is not so strong.

1 hour delay projected for me but I should still make my connection...
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Somebody has been telling you porkies.

Looks like three to me.
Only 1 for landings, I guess is what the purser meant. Quickly figured that one out when we started taxing towards Haarlem int.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkeng
Bezoekbas.nl says both 18L/36R and 09/27 are out of use due to maintenance.
Correct, they are.

I don't think there's any major hub airport in Europe with as many runways as Schiphol, yet chaos ensues again and again for all sorts of unremarkable reasons that somehow impose serious capacity constraints.

There are lots of large airports with only one or two runways, yet they seen to have no problems keeping their runways shipshape without causing disruption. Schiphol, on the other hand, closes runways several times a year, usually for weeks or months at a time, to carry out repairs, maintenance or upgrades at a unhurried pace. Easy does it seems to be their motto.

That two runways are now closed simultaneously is a result of work that was postponed "due to Covid". Makes perfect sense. Why take the opportunity to carry out maintenance when the airport is operating at less than 20% capacity, if you can wait until traffic is almost back to normal? Even better, make sure to close those runways in time for a busy weekend at the start of the Dutch school spring break.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Apr 22, 2022 at 4:55 pm
Old Apr 22, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Totally agree, Schiphol is not exactly a model of efficiency in its operations. But few European hubs are; at LHR baggage is a mess, FRA security is a nightmare and CDG is well, a bit of everything
AurelAF96 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:39 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Alert: KLM baggage workers have gone on an unannounced strike.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
As reported: https://nos.nl/artikel/2426169-wilde...-met-directeur

and picked up by the AD: https://www.ad.nl/amsterdam/chaos-op-schiphol-vanwege-staking-op-drukste-dag-in-jaren-tientallen-vluchten-geannuleerd~a5eb8953/

Type in google: viggo + transavia + experience / ervaring
(I don't know whether to laugh or cry)

Read: https://www.nu.nl/economie/6196791/v...tml?redirect=1

And the comments

Last edited by HadesNL; Apr 23, 2022 at 3:34 am
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This airport has what...7 runways IIRC ? And they can operate only one ??? what a joke
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This airport has what...7 runways IIRC ? And they can operate only one ??? what a joke
Would be a good idea if you actually read stuff before putting things like this in this thread.

They have six runways,
​04-22 (smaller one)
06-24
09-27 u/s
18L-36R u/s
18C-36C
18R-36L

If the wind is too strong from the east/west, the 18/36 rwy are not an option. So that leaves 2 rwy, 1 departure and 1 arrival. 04/22 is also not appropriate for all types of aircraft, so sometimes a challenge as well.

Just got a news alert, dozens of flights are cancelled this morning already, because of the strike.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 2:45 am

Programs: FB Gold
Like I tell people : Schiphol is a nice efficient airport and generally really nice. Except if it's cold or a bit windy out.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 3:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Twitter is showing photos/videos of the Q: https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=...d_query&f=live

Passengers checking in at KLM/Delta in T2 need to snake outside and enter at T3 and queue up the T3-T2 connector.

Schiphol airport imploring passengers not to go to the airport.

Vol = vol

Making headlines:

First headline:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.