Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Old Apr 24, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
As an example, KL1341 AMS-BLL was on time, yet the return KL1342 is now expected an hour late. Maybe later, because although the aircraft pushed back only 12 minutes behind schedule, it is currently still on the ground at BLL, presumably waiting for a slot. No doubt due to the single runway available for landings.
Exactly, currently sitting 30 min and counting on the tarmac at SVG.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Just wondering when Schiphol moved the queue to outside the terminal, was SkyPriority of any use or were all pax SOL?
It was a battlefield. SkyPriority wasn’t existing anymore. Wherever you went, extreme long lines.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:10 am

Early morning it was mainly the incoming longhauls that were severely delayed (2 - 4+ hours), but starting midmorning just about every incoming KL flight is running late, mostly 30 - 60 minutes.

As an example, KL1341 AMS-BLL was on time, yet the return KL1342 is now expected an hour late. Maybe later, because although the aircraft pushed back only 12 minutes behind schedule, it is currently still on the ground at BLL, presumably waiting for a slot. No doubt due to the single runway available for landings.

Schiphol's decision to close two runways for maintenance simultaneously is surely the brightest idea in commercial aviation so far this year.

That was also my motivation to catch the KL1341 this morning at all cost with the biggest chance for normal ops because the KL1342 BLL-AMS is still on ground and more than an hour delay, only second flight for today and this aircraft has to operate AMS-HAJ/HAJ-AMS and AMS-LBA/LBA-AMS/AMS-LBA today. It looks like today will be a rough day as well.

The strike was unfortunate but maintenance on 2 runways in one of the busiest weekends of the year is a request for chaos. Don’t understand why that couldn’t be done a week earlier.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL
maintenance on 2 runways in one of the busiest weekends of the year is a request for chaos. Don’t understand why that couldn’t be done a week earlier.
That maintenance was apparently scheduled for last year, when disruption would have been minimal, but postponed "due to the pandemic". I've only just found out that actually only one runway is under maintenance, the Aalsmeerbaan. However, this has repercussions for several other runways.

The Aalsmeerbaan (18L/36R) was closed on April 4th, and is not expected to open again before the middle of July!, and that's assuming everything goes according to plan. (Which other major hub closes runways for 3˝ months or longer?). As a consequence the Buitenveldertbaan (09/27) is closed for short periods when work is being done on the Aalsmeerbaan at the point where the two runways intersect. Choosing April 19-26 as one of those periods is nothing short of brilliant. What went on in the minds of the brightest Schiphol sparks is anybody's guess.

As a heads up, the Aalsmeerbaan work will also restrict use of the Kaagbaan (06/24) from May 16 until June 6. The top end of the latter meets the former just short of halfway, so when they are messing around with the Aalsmeerbaan the full length of the Kaagbaan will not be available.

Johan
Old Apr 24, 2022, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL
this aircraft has to operate AMS-HAJ/HAJ-AMS and AMS-LBA/LBA-AMS/AMS-LBA today. It looks like today will be a rough day as well.
They are constantly fiddling with the schedules. The flight for this evening that I'm taking a very personal interest in, is already on its third tail number.

Johan
Old Apr 24, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor
Crikey, does look like KLM is having a "BA style" weekend. Although I suppose the runway maintenance schedule is not a KL decision... I guess I should be happy that I made it home at all Friday night, even with another Swissport meltdown at BRS causing a two hour wait for luggage.

Tomorrow morning I'll be on LH. They notified me already that the flight is overbooked, I guess due to the morning KL flight having been already cancelled :-)

Hopefully the double runway downtime finishes today as projected.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:10 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, ALL Platinum, Hertz Platinum
Not as chaotic here as I expected, I arrived 40 min late and the departures board is less red than on Friday. No queue at lounge 25. The transfer desk queue however, stretches all the way back to C gates.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver ITA Premium
No idea, but smart OLCI/HBO pax would surely have gone to T3 and then through security there.

Johan
We travel KL1121 to ARN tonight at 20.50 and travel HBO. We already have our boarding passes, can we go through security at T3 in that case?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T2 security this evening

I'll happily admit to the crime of double-posting, but I figure these pics are more appropriate here.

Time to get upstairs: over half an hour.

Time to get from there to the checkpoints: not yet known, I'll post when I find out. Update: 90 minutes, including clearing security itself.

Yet Schiphol is still cheerfully telling shorthaul pax to get to the airport 2 hours before departure. That's hardly enough time to just get through security. The folks running the Schiphol show are crazier than a Bessie Bug.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Apr 24, 2022 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:00 pm

Yes, lots of people here. We arrived 6.30 pm took 35 minutes to reach the lounge. Thought the security process was reasonably efficient. Don't want to think about this many people at LHR security! But seems like you hit the jackpot just a bit later.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MartiniGomez
But seems like you hit the jackpot just a bit later.
Fortunately, that wasn't me hitting the jackpot there, I just got sent the pictures.

Your flight is running only ten minutes late, by the way. Unless half the pax are still stuck in that queue, and they decide to wait for them.

Johan
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MartiniGomez
We arrived 6.30 pm took 35 minutes to reach the lounge.
SkyPriority?

Johan
Old Apr 24, 2022, 12:46 pm

Sort of. ITA Elite plus. So lounge: yes. Security: no.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:35 am
formerly JackDann

My parents were caught up in the mess at AMS on Saturday. KL1017 was Delayed by over 3 hours.

Not sure what the reason was for delay, but i'd like to help them get some compensation if they are entitled to it. I believe one of the reasons given was due to Ground Crew strike and i'm not sure if this is the case, whether any compensation would be issued.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:05 am

Programs: FB Gold
Strikes are generally considered extraordinary circumstances, and thus falls into the same bucket of reason like weather, air traffic control issues, and security risks = generally no EU 261 comp.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.