Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Question of interest: If the airport asks you to not come to the airport, what about no-show policies by airlines? Mind you, the "don't come to Schiphol" applies to passengers of any airline, not just KLM.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Even a liveblog on the current situation:

https://nos.nl/liveblog/2426194-stak...-a4-afgesloten

A4 highway airport exit = closed

From NOS.nl
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently the Schiphol offramps from the A4 freeway have been closed, making it almost impossible to reach the airport by car.

Johan
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:43 am

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Strike has been ended due to safety issues

https://www.nu.nl/economie/6196844/k...assagiers.html

Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by mfkne
Question of interest: If the airport asks you to not come to the airport, what about no-show policies by airlines? Mind you, the "don't come to Schiphol" applies to passengers of any airline, not just KLM.
I am not a lawyer but i think the "force majeur" exclusion applies to airlines?
- Strike was unannounced and not endorsed by Union FNV.
- Safety issues dealt with by Kmar prevented to reach the airport via highway.
* hope though that customers can get rebooked or refunded!

Maybe others can chime in?

Thought to everyone caught up in the Q
Old Apr 23, 2022, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
I am not a lawyer but i think the "force majeur" exclusion applies to airlines?
- Strike was unannouced and not endorsed by Union FNV.
- Safety issues dealt with by Kmar prevented to reach the airport via highway.
* hope though that customers can get rebooked or refunded!

Maybe others can chime in?

Thought to everyone caught up in the Q
Yes, but does force majeur also apply to passengers?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:06 am

This is the screenshot of the official annoucement of Schiphol airport asking passengers not to come:

Might be useful for some when providing proof of reason to change/claim/refund/transfer/no show

Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the departures board is anything to go by, this morning has been an unmitigated disaster. Of the 17 KL departures scheduled before 8 a.m., five landed on time, six were canceled, and the rest delayed. After 8 a.m., 3 flight landed on time, the rest canceled or delayed, most for several hours or even longer. Almost all the longhauls are operating, but given the long delays pax traveling on the return flights to AMS stand a good chance to missing their connecting flights tomorrow.

This afternoon looks slightly better, but I suspect that's a result of plenty of wishful thinking on the part of KLM.

Johan
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Safety issues dealt with by Kmar prevented to reach the airport via highway.
They've done this before, but it's really a very drastic measure that affects everybody going to the airport, including pax traveling on other undisrupted airlines (are there any problems in T3, for example?), as well as those waiting to be picked up, etc.

Pretty harsh.

Johan
Old Apr 23, 2022, 5:53 am

A4 highway to airport re-opened again.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the screenshot of the official annoucement of Schiphol airport asking passengers not to come
Several airlines are upset and have complained about the airport's advice. They say it was business as usual in T3, and that Schiphol should only have asked KLM pax to stay away.

Sounds like a big clusterf*** , to which those in charge responded in a panicky and possibly inappropriate way.

Johan
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Several airlines are upset and have complained about the airport's advice. They say it was business as usual in T3, and that Schiphol should only have asked KLM pax to stay away.

Sounds like a big clusterf*** , to which those in charge responded in a panicky and possibly inappropriate way.

Johan
Maybe the NS has another CEO they can send to lead Schiphol. Panicky and inappropriate are the buzzwords lately whenever somethings go awry, be it rail or air.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:37 am

Sheesh, KL791 to GRU left with a whopping 7 hours and 9 minutes delay.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by EricVdb
Maybe the NS has another CEO they can send to lead Schiphol. Panicky and inappropriate are the buzzwords lately whenever somethings go awry, be it rail or air.
I took NS quite a bit over the long week-end and on my 4th NS train, was hit by a delay since they couldn't get something electrical working to start the train.

"Wow they really took a page from DB didn't they ?" was my unsurprised reaction.

Last edited by mlin32; Apr 23, 2022 at 9:57 am
Old Apr 23, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Things haven't exactly improved. Out of 90-odd KL departures scheduled between 12 noon and 3 p.m., five landed on time. Two of those were codeshares operated by other airlines. The longhauls are obviously still en route, but given that they all departed 1 - 4+ hours late, they are not likely to arrive anywhere near on time. Rest of the afternoon looks just as bad.

For tomorrow KL has canceled 18 departures from AMS. So far . . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.