FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

HadesNL Oct 16, 2022 11:41 am

You got to give Dick Benschop credit,

Schiphol's reputation has even made Kyle from LALF a bit weary to travel via AMS :D
https://liveandletsfly.com/amsterdam-airport/

And ofcourse no mention from Matthew & Kyle at all of the fantastic input of all FT-members in this thread :tu:

CSP18 Oct 16, 2022 12:32 pm

Data point from this morning. I arrived at the airport at 10.30am and was through security and passport control in less than half an hour (departure hall 3, non-priority) even though the app showed me that it was a peak day. And if that interests anyone: I was slightly early, and, as expected, the boarding pass scanners at security do not object if you enter more than four hours before your scheduled departure time.

sakedon Oct 16, 2022 1:41 pm

There is also a megathread on Reddit r/Amsterdam with quite fresh data points:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amsterdam/c...ol_megathread/

HadesNL Oct 16, 2022 2:15 pm

Oh thanks for the tip!
The more datapoints the better,
I managed to save my business associate the doom& gloom of Schiphol by having him reroute on the BA service in EuroTraveller from LCY to RTM instead of AMS for our meeting in The Hague...
not as easy with a direct train link to the city but worth to save the hassle and uncertainty of travelling in economy via Schiphol

South London Bon Viveur Oct 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Sensible decision. The bus and tram connection to The Hague is actually very easy once you know what you need to do.

Agneisse Oct 16, 2022 10:45 pm

Data point from this morning (Monday): joined Departures 1 Sky Priority queue at 5:19am, finished exactly 30 minutes later. The queue when I left looked longer than it was when I joined, but the staff seemed to be in the process of opening a new lane(s).

​​​​​

offvoice Oct 16, 2022 10:54 pm

Long-time lurker but have not been in AMS for six months. We're departing with Ms Offvoice tomorrow from AMS in J with SV, arriving with Thalys from Paris. Any tips to deal with security/where we should go? I was not able to locate any SP area the last time I flew with them in May or June and had to wait around 2 hours to clear security and passport control.

Thanks in advance!

dkeng Oct 17, 2022 1:00 am

NS arrivals data point this morning. Seems the KMars have recovered from their recent infection spree as there was only very light queues for the manned desks, and none at all for egates.

Even some staff left over for doing spot checks directly at the bus arrivals point at D3.

johan rebel Oct 17, 2022 1:59 am

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 34686586)
I was not able to locate any SP area the last time I flew with them

They are there all right, as has been described and explained numerous times in this thread, at times even with pictures and annotated maps. There's the wiki too.

Johan

Agneisse Oct 17, 2022 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by offvoice (Post 34686586)
Long-time lurker but have not been in AMS for six months. We're departing with Ms Offvoice tomorrow from AMS in J with SV, arriving with Thalys from Paris. Any tips to deal with security/where we should go? I was not able to locate any SP area the last time I flew with them in May or June and had to wait around 2 hours to clear security and passport control.

Thanks in advance!

As someone who has not flown from AMS in several years and arrived by train this morning, I found the signage for priority security to be really quite clear (perhaps it was more confusing in May/June). The key is that before the gantries where the boarding pass is scanned, someone is checking your boarding pass to determine eligibility.

There are also instructions in this thread. If you really cannot find it, wait for someone who seems like they know where they are going and are in a First/Business check-in queue to finish checking in, and follow them (in a non suspicious way of course).

Pau3590 Oct 18, 2022 2:27 am

I post it this morging in the wrong topic;) :

I’m on my way to CUR. WBC, as usual.
but… damm what a mess in the lounge, no one picket up the use glasses and plates.

And I’m am a bit worrying about the trip, we stay at the gate now, and the row before me is a boy from 2, and he produce now already much noise.. stil 9.45 to go ..
please tell me he is going to sleep 8 hour.

Now 2 hours later and he stil is jumping on and of his seat. there are 5 kids (-18) in WBC its the first time this much, 3 are litlle ones.

SkyteamEP Oct 18, 2022 3:02 am

I'm flying out of AMS to a Schengen destination on Sunday morning, take off at 7:15am. I'm SkyPriority and traveling with hand baggage only. Is aiming at arriving 1h before boarding time large enough?
Schipol website is saying I should arrive at 3:15am (I guess they don't know I have SkyPriority) and it's a peak day.

ItrytobeFrequentFlyer Oct 18, 2022 3:04 am

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP (Post 34689587)
I'm flying out of AMS to a Schengen destination on Sunday morning, take off at 7:15am. I'm SkyPriority and traveling with hand baggage only. Is aiming at arriving 1h before boarding time large enough?
Schipol website is saying I should arrive at 3:15am (I guess they don't know I have SkyPriority) and it's a peak day.

1 hour would be a stretch, but I think 2 ~ 2.5 hours is doable.

atflyer Oct 18, 2022 3:08 am

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP (Post 34689587)

1 hour before departure, travelling standard with hand luggage only, was my arrival time before the mess. Even with Sky Priority I now at least factor in 2-2.5 hours (although I never had to fly early last months, so for me it was leaving office early and working in the lounge instead of waking up at a horrible time).

emiratesftw Oct 18, 2022 4:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyingRVS (Post 34652989)
I guess (but can't confirm) this will work. I was in the same boat as you late last month, but instead of manipulating the boarding card I upgraded my SO to Economy Flex, which includes SP. I don't think that was necessary though, and looking back I would have done what you are now suggesting, because at the SP entrance staff only carry out a visual check (at least that is what I experienced myself). If they see the red SP logo, you're through. I will try it later this month when traveling to Riga with a travel partner without SP.

Let us know what you decide to do and if it worked out for you.

Sorry for the late reply but it wasn’t necessary at all. We actually had a friend of ours come with us last minute who doesn’t have SP either. When checking in not a word was said about it. The agent printed SP on both our boarding passes and our friends (which was great obv) and we could proceed up the stairs to the priority security area where the SP check was visual