FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

dkeng Oct 8, 22 10:09 am

Originally Posted by hsumh316 (Post 34664593)
Current immigrations situation. Only 2 immigrations officers for non-EU passports.

Yesterday evening the queue to even go down the stairs to immigration at the bottom of the E pier stretched all the way along the corridor down to lounge 2. Did not look like a fun time.

AnaTFN Oct 8, 22 10:50 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34664632)
They have decided to make up for lost time and just canceled another flight of mine. Within 7 days of departure this time, and without rebooking me. Funny thing is that a Gold colleague has been rebooked on the next available flight. I also didn't receive any notification, found out from my colleague.

Plat line wait time 24 minutes, then the line was cut.

Johan

You jinxed it for bragging ;)

I was also surprised in my last cancellation about (1) no rebooking, (2) long wait for platinum line, and (3) first person at the platinum line apparently not knowing all the options that he had (luckily I called again and got another person). I wonder if the experience is any better for people without status in terms of waiting on the line and having someone knowledgeable at the other side.

EvD86 Oct 8, 22 11:32 am

My wife landed this morning on KL592 (JNB-AMS).

Flight was directed to a remote stand, so the fully packed B789 was transferred by bus. Thereafter the line for immigration took more than one hour.

Strange thing (off topic), no upgrade offer during check in, but Y fully booked and she thought to have seen 2 op-ups during boarding.

johan rebel Oct 8, 22 1:37 pm

HUCA works

My second call was answered after 26 minutes or so, by a very bureaucratic, inflexible and unhelpful agent. I think he was having a very bad day. He only offered me a choice of two fights, either 7 hours earlier, or 7 hours later. Neither would work for me. I had done my homework, knew exactly what the options were, but he adamantly refused to consider them. He claimed all flights were full due to the Dutch herfstvakantie, blamed Schiphol for forcing KLM to cancel flights, bla bla bla.

I called again this evening. Waited another 27 minutes, got a friendly and competent lady on the line who immediately offered me exactly the flight I wanted, without me even having to ask. The whole process took not even two minutes, and she also made sure to allocate me the best seat still available. So I'm now on a flight departing not even two hours earlier, which the first agent claimed he could absolutely not book me on. Go figure!

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34664808)
You jinxed it for bragging ;).

:D Guess that serves me right.

Johan

t0t1t2 Oct 9, 22 3:23 am

Flew last Thursday from Schiphol to a European destination in the morning. When I arrived at 7am, the regular, non-priority queue for security was completely empty.

johan rebel Oct 9, 22 4:06 am

Looks like KLM has initiated a November schedule massacre. The guy who coordinates flights for our business unit has in the past few days received a deluge of cancelation/rebooking notifications, he already has a few dozen reservations to deal with (we have from a handful to up to about 30 AMS flyers on weekdays, none or only a few on weekends). Several people who were rebooked and accepted the alternative offered have now had the new flights canceled as well.

I suspect they will do the same thing to December in a few weeks time, once they are done messing up everybody's November trips.

Johan

irishguy28 Oct 9, 22 5:39 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34665154)
He only offered me a choice of two fights

Johan, it pays to know when to pick your fights!

johan rebel Oct 9, 22 7:14 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 34666511)
Johan, it pays to know when to pick your fights!

Tough choice, so I hung up, called again and was fortunately offered a fight at High Noon.

Perfect!

Johan

johan rebel Oct 9, 22 12:37 pm

As Schiphol and KLM crash and burn, the airline' CEO has declared that sustainability and diversity are her top priorities.

What was Nero doing again while Rome burned?

Johan

Maestro Ramen Oct 9, 22 12:46 pm

Certainly not minding the wellbeing of his citizens or caring about the environment.

johan rebel Oct 9, 22 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 34667297)
Certainly not minding the wellbeing of his citizens or caring about the environment.

Give the guy a break, he was the emperor, for crying out loud. The average emperor has far more important matters on his mind, although it would make financial sense to at least mind the wellbeing of the household slaves, especially when market prices are high.

Johan

Digicola Oct 9, 22 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by roelb (Post 34651750)
And not in Australia or New Zealand either. I have also never had such priviliges in South or Central America, so it really seems to be an asian thing.

Major Australian airports all have some sort of priority lane for immigration and/or security. It is usually open to premium passengers and status holders if the airlines pay for it. In Sydney, theres even express customs on arrival for example.

Much of this has been on and off due to covid but its definitely present down under.

Digicola Oct 9, 22 1:23 pm

Are longhaul flights @AMS getting cancelled too or is this a case of reducing schengen flights from 5 to 4 daily?

AnaTFN Oct 9, 22 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Digicola (Post 34667397)
Are longhaul flights @AMS getting cancelled too or is this a case of reducing schengen flights from 5 to 4 daily?

Some long haul flights too, like SFO-AMS KL606 and AMS-JFK KL641 on Oct 5, AMS-LAX KL603 on Oct 6, and others.

BA850 Oct 9, 22 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34666429)
Looks like KLM has initiated a November schedule massacre. The guy who coordinates flights for our business unit has in the past few days received a deluge of cancelation/rebooking notifications, he already has a few dozen reservations to deal with (we have from a handful to up to about 30 AMS flyers on weekdays, none or only a few on weekends). Several people who were rebooked and accepted the alternative offered have now had the new flights canceled as well.

I suspect they will do the same thing to December in a few weeks time, once they are done messing up everybody's November trips.

Johan

Well, I booked my next set of flights through CDG, but have cause to be in Amsterdam in December for a couple of days so will have no choice but to book and await the inevitable schedule cull. Arriving in Amsterdam one day and continuing onward a few days later reduces the impact of any disruption, but itís still a pain.

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34667276)
As Schiphol and KLM crash and burn, the airline' CEO has declared that sustainability and diversity are her top priorities.

What was Nero doing again while Rome burned?

Johan

Itís the same in every industry, Iím afraid. Until recently, I worked for a company which hadnít really pursued such a course, but which almost overnight embraced it wholeheartedly. Senior HR folk started regurgitating whatever nonsense theyíd paid to hear from diversity consultants and we were all invited to attend an online seminar which presented a highly dubious interpretation of the UKís Equality Act (and indeed one which was at odds with the legal opinions of the then-Attorney General, who has since become Home Secretary). It became all-consuming, utterly unbearable and of course an enormous distraction from the work we were supposed to perform.

KLM need to get the basics right before virtue signalling, is my humble opinion.