FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

odie11 Jun 28, 2022 6:01 am

Can someone help me understand how this would work - My daughter and her boyfriend are flying out of AMS headed to BOS, one on IcelandAir (non US citizen) and one on Delta (US citizen) no checked luggage and both (hopefully) will have boarding passes already - Is there separate security and passport control for them since IcelandAir goes from Departures 1 and Delta from Departures 2? Is there anyway for them to queue together to share the misery? I assume once they are on the other side they can meet up for sure - IcelandAir departs two hours after DL anyhow. Thank you !

FlyingBlonde89 Jun 28, 2022 6:05 am

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34376687)
Can someone help me understand how this would work - My daughter and her boyfriend are flying out of AMS headed to BOS, one on IcelandAir (non US citizen) and one on Delta (US citizen) no checked luggage and both (hopefully) will have boarding passes already - Is there separate security and passport control for them since IcelandAir goes from Departures 1 and Delta from Departures 2? Is there anyway for them to queue together to share the misery? I assume once they are on the other side they can meet up for sure - IcelandAir departs two hours after DL anyhow. Thank you !

Yes, they're connected and it doesn't matter whether they follow signs for 1 or 2. They will be able to stay together and share the misery.

nk15 Jun 28, 2022 6:22 am

Originally Posted by DeppityDawg (Post 34376422)
I just had to do this myself (short overnight connection and too lazy/cheap/nervous to leave the airport and come back in). There are a lot of folks sleeping all around the terminal. Thank god the lounge opens at 4:45.

I hear you, I wouldn't want to leave this airport and try to come back in either....

HadesNL Jun 28, 2022 6:37 am

Less flights BA: LHR/LGW - ANS

Check your bookings,
If you have a flight booked this summer with British Airways from Amsterdam to/from London Heatrow/Gatwick

From Raffles his blog:
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/0...-haul-flights/
and https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220627-bajul22lon

British Airways departures from London Gatwick (last week vs this week and the rest of July):
Amsterdam 83 to 60

British Airways departures from London Heathrow (last week vs this week and the rest of July):
Amsterdam 196 to 160

Might be these BA passengers will be re-accomodated to KLM or jump ship by rebooking themselves on the KLM flights

downinit Jun 28, 2022 8:06 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 34376472)
What?! The Skypriority check-in area is also explicitly for Silver/Elite members.

Not sure why this is such a controversial topic? Has anyone contacted KLM or Schipol about this? It is clearly a training issue that needs to be addressed.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88c6294b0b.jpg

physicsdude Jun 28, 2022 8:24 am

Originally Posted by downinit (Post 34377068)
Not sure why this is such a controversial topic? Has anyone contacted KLM or Schipol about this? It is clearly a training issue that needs to be addressed.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...88c6294b0b.jpg

When I was still Silver in April, I was allowed to use the priority check-in counters after showing my "card" on the AF app. After that, I only transited through AMS.

etiene Jun 28, 2022 9:27 am

Originally Posted by downinit (Post 34377068)
[snip]

Except [if I understand correctly] Silver doesn't get priority security - just check-in. We've not heard if the affected passenger needed to use the desks, or was just headed for the priority security line [whether by the front entrance or the back].

Xandrios Jun 28, 2022 10:29 am

That's likely it. From the FB page:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...41cc9db0a3.png

So yes to priority check-in... but no to priority security.

FlyingBlonde89 Jun 28, 2022 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 (Post 34376450)
Mr FlyingBlonde was on a 9.30am flight and said the line was the worst he'd seen but it moved relatively quickly once he was in it (overall 1 hour approx to clear everything for a non-schengen flight). He's silver and was turned away from the priority area (he said it was heavily guarded and lots of other passengers were also turned away).

Update: Confirmed he was turned away (as were many other Silvers) at the back of the SP area. They were checking boarding passes and didn't allow anyone silver or below through regardless of pointing out (silver) status.

He said security has tightened up significantly and any potential 'leak' points were closed off by Schiphol staff.

Arrived at 7am and cleared it all in the regular queue after 1hour and 5mins despite it looking far worse than previous queues.

Curious if anyone else has thoughts on the silver rejection and whether this is correct procedure. (As a platinum I'm not impacted but it seems odd that presumably silver can still do priority baggage drop but not nip through security... or can anyone report that they've also been turned away from SP as a silver?)

FlyingBlonde89 Jun 28, 2022 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34377506)
That's likely it. From the FB page:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...41cc9db0a3.png

So yes to priority check-in... but no to priority security.

Yeah, still seems odd because if you just flash your card and say you couldn't check in then you can get through SP and therefore skip security... it's not like CDG where there are (sometimes) separate SP lanes when transitioning between terminals. The setup in AMS makes this distinction seem rather pedantic.

Arpoador Jun 28, 2022 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 (Post 34378480)
...it seems odd that presumably silver can still do priority baggage drop but not nip through security... or can anyone report that they've also been turned away from SP as a silver?)

As mentioned above, priority security has never been a Silver benefit.

FlyingBlonde89 Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra (Post 34378504)
As mentioned above, priority security has never been a Silver benefit.

Clear but then why not police the priority security area? (Or give Silvers a break and not make the distinction given how ridiculous it is to allow some Silvers FastTrack security?) Or have Silvers use a priority lane at regular checkin for Amsterdam? It seems really really odd to allow those with bags or who can't/haven't checked in to also skip security...

Arpoador Jun 28, 2022 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 (Post 34378516)
Clear but then why not police the priority security area? (Or give Silvers a break and not make the distinction given how ridiculous it is to allow some Silvers FastTrack security?) Or have Silvers use a priority lane at regular checkin for Amsterdam? It seems really really odd to allow those with bags or who can't/haven't checked in to also skip security...

Silver members benefit from priority check-in and priority boarding (Zone 3). SkyPriority has never been a Silver benefit, so in theory Silver members should leave the priority check-in area after checking in and head for the regular security line.

FlyingBlonde89 Jun 28, 2022 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Gulbra (Post 34378535)
Silver members benefit from priority check-in and priority boarding (Zone 3). SkyPriority has never been a Silver benefit, so in theory Silver members should leave the priority check-in area after checking in and head for the regular security line.

Not sure why you bothered to quote me...? Doesn't address my point.
​​​​

Arpoador Jun 28, 2022 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89 (Post 34378560)
Not sure why you bothered to quote me...? Doesn't address my point.
​​​​

Don't get me wrong, I am simply trying to help and make things clear. There is a difference between priority check-in/boarding and ´´SkyPriority´´.

As to why the priority security area isn't policed, I agree it should be policed.
As to why some Silvers are given FastTrack security, well in theory they shouldn't unless they are travelling in J.
As to why there isn't a priority check-in lane at the regular check-in area for Silvers. I guess there is no need, it is easier to invite them to use the SkyPriority check-in area. This also makes it easier at outstations.