FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

malmostoso Aug 12, 22 10:29 pm

Arrived at 6:00 for my 9:50 flight, no queue whatsoever at departures 3 for both priority and economy lines. Quickly through passport control, in the lounge by 6:20.

Xandrios Aug 13, 22 3:27 am

Sounds good. Things seem to slowly be improving ... Though I wouldnt be surprised if there are still specific times where long queues will form.

matthewshuerta Aug 13, 22 1:56 pm

Hi all, I am sure this question has been answered before but this forum is long and Im looking for a very recent answer, so here we go. TLDR: I am booked thru Delta to fly from Seattle, USA to Barcelona, ES via Amsterdam on September 1-2 (rough 3 weeks away as of this writing) with the first leg from SEA to AMS being on Delta, and then second leg from AMS to BCN being on KLM. Fully legal connection time, 1hr 40min published, and Ive connected thru AMS before back in February on a trip to Switzerland and had no logistical issues, even with oversized checked baggage (skis). This time I am tentatively not planning to check any bags. What have been peoples’ recent experiences with wait times at passport control for Non-Schengen (USA) ==> Schengen, been like over the past few weeks? Would my connection time be cutting it, even in the case both flights are on time, given the crowds? Most of the articles I have read have highlighted the issues at the security checkpoints for going landside to airside, but not so much about passport control. Is there anything else I should know, aside from the news and advisories that are already out there?
Ultimately for someone coming from Seattle, when Schiphol works its fantastic for connecting versus flying to the US East Coast and onwards to Europe from there; I chose this itinerary and the similar one I took in February because in both cases they saved at least 4hrs travel time versus going thru JFK or BOS. But if there’s still a high likelihood of encountering trouble when it comes to my immediate needs (connecting Non-Schengen to Schengen), Id definitely be inclined to switch my itinerary to something else. I look forward to hearing what people have to say!

b12e Aug 13, 22 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by matthewshuerta (Post 34512356)
What have been peoplesí recent experiences with wait times at passport control for Non-Schengen (USA) ==> Schengen, been like over the past few weeks? Would my connection time be cutting it, even in the case both flights are on time, given the crowds? Most of the articles I have read have highlighted the issues at the security checkpoints for going landside to airside, but not so much about passport control. Is there anything else I should know, aside from the news and advisories that are already out there?

post 2044 and 2098 should be your most recent data points.

that said, Passport control waiting times aren't really something you should worry about, as if all fails, there's a "short connection" queue when time is running out.

terrier Aug 14, 22 1:17 am

Hi all, I am sure this question has been answered before but this forum is long and Im looking for a very recent answer, so here we go. TLDR: I am booked thru Delta to fly from Seattle, USA to Barcelona, ES via Amsterdam on September 1-2 (rough 3 weeks away as of this writing) with the first leg from SEA to AMS being on Delta, and then second leg from AMS to BCN being on KLM. Fully legal connection time, 1hr 40min published, and Ive connected thru AMS before back in February on a trip to Switzerland and had no logistical issues, even with oversized checked baggage (skis). This time I am tentatively not planning to check any bags. What have been peoples’ recent experiences with wait times at passport control for Non-Schengen (USA) ==> Schengen, been like over the past few weeks? Would my connection time be cutting it, even in the case both flights are on time, given the crowds? Most of the articles I have read have highlighted the issues at the security checkpoints for going landside to airside, but not so much about passport control. Is there anything else I should know, aside from the news and advisories that are already out there?
Ultimately for someone coming from Seattle, when Schiphol works its fantastic for connecting versus flying to the US East Coast and onwards to Europe from there; I chose this itinerary and the similar one I took in February because in both cases they saved at least 4hrs travel time versus going thru JFK or BOS. But if there’s still a high likelihood of encountering trouble when it comes to my immediate needs (connecting Non-Schengen to Schengen), Id definitely be inclined to switch my itinerary to something else. I look forward to hearing what people have to say!

1h 40m is fine. Coming from Seattle you're not going to go through security again at Schiphol. Not checking bags is very wise, that's the bigger risk for connecting pax these days.

I cleared the non-schengen to schengen passport control at the transit filter in about 10 minutes this past Friday morning. e-gates were closed but *8* staffed booths were open.

The airside (non-schengen to schengen and v.v.) transit filter is generally quick and prioritized from a staffing perspective precisely because so much of Schiphol's revenue is dependent on its status as a hub for connecting passengers. It's locals who get screwed because they have limited alternatives. The kmar agent at the transit filter was annoyed when I said that my final destination was in the Netherlands, saying this was a "busy post" and not intended for non-transit passengers. I shrugged and pointed to the line just to get downstairs (to wait in another line) for terminating passengers - which started behind the line for transit passengers, stretching all the way to the E-pier (the D-pier exit was closed.) It was obviously much busier and much longer than 10 minutes.

roelb Aug 15, 22 6:37 am

And that time is also fine in terms of checking bags. It's 50 minute or-so connections where things tend to go downhill with luggage handling.

sierranevada Aug 15, 22 10:57 am

Data point Aug 15 Dep 1

Arrived at airport at 5pm for 8 pm.flight to Zurich on Swiss. Uber dropped us at wrong.departure hall (3) so had to walk back to 1. Flying business, check in for bag hadno line and priority security initially was easy then machines started going down. Waitied about 15 minutes to be able to go through. Regular line wasnyit bad. Definitely got here way too early but didn't want to chance it.

sierranevada Aug 15, 22 11:00 am

Originally Posted by demplo (Post 34488550)
I seem to understand that security is now stricter not letting non-SkyPriority passengers traveling with SkyPriority passengers through the priority lane, even via the access behind KLM check-in desks.

Is there anyone who can confirm or deny this at the moment? I will be traveling with a FB Silver and would like not to split up or do the whole queue (which I am already assuming I will, in the end).

YMMV - today we had 6 people, 4 with priority and 2 without. Security let our friends come with us, although she did say they normally don't allow it but there was no one in line

b12e Aug 15, 22 2:01 pm

So, KLM is reportedly cancelling 10-12 percent of its intra-EU flights in September and October, despite saying earlier no flights would have to be cancelled.

KLM has removed 11.8 and 10.4 percent of its European flights from its reservation system for the months of September and October, respectively. Frequency cuts are being made across almost the entire European network, although there are a few exceptions: Flights to Lisbon and Ibiza, for example, have been slightly increased.

There are now 8086 European flights scheduled to depart from Schiphol in September. Earlier, 9164 flights were still in the systems for that month, according to an overview by Aeroroutes based on GDS data. For October, the number of intra-European flights from Schiphol has been reduced from 8832 to 7916. That makes a difference of about 100,000 seats per direction per month.

johan rebel Aug 16, 22 3:53 am

Data point 11 - 11:30 a.m.

- tents empty.

- car drop-off one big mess.

- big "entrance closed" sign at door F, but it was wide open.

- no lines at downstairs regular security access.

- lots of new signs for the "back door" priority security access.

- No lines at downstairs priority access.

- upstairs all priority pax could turn left only, towards T1 security.

- T2 security busy, all tensabarrier lanes full, but moving.

- T1 security busy, all tensabarrier lanes full, but moving.

- one priority checkpoint, maybe 50 in line. After a minute, a dozen priority pax were sent to a regular checkpoint. A few minutes later the adjacent checkpoint opened. At first a bunch of regular pax were admitted, but after some confusion the tensabarriers were rearranged and it was turned into a priority checkpoint.

- cleared security 12 minutes after arrival by car.

- S/NS immigrations busy, tensabarrier lanes pretty much full. E-gates all closed, Privium a breeze.

- only Ī15 patrons in the Privium West lounge.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...898c90b665.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7141ffdd94.jpg

- NS/S immigrations at Ī1.20 p.m. Tensabarriers pretty full, tree E-gates open, eight closed. Privium took less than half a minute.

- Flight delayed. Only one guy to load all the bags, he was done at STD+10. Then we had to wait for the second bus with pax. Took off 35 minutes late. Captain lied, blamed it on late incoming aircraft, even though it had arrived early two hours before our STD.

Johan

sbrower Aug 16, 22 4:21 am

Hi all, I am sure this question has been answered before but this forum is long and Im looking for a very recent answer, so here we go. TLDR: I am booked thru Delta to fly from Seattle, USA to Barcelona, ES via Amsterdam on September 1-2 (rough 3 weeks away as of this writing) with the first leg from SEA to AMS being on Delta, and then second leg from AMS to BCN being on KLM. Fully legal connection time, 1hr 40min published, and Ive connected thru AMS before back in February on a trip to Switzerland and had no logistical issues, even with oversized checked baggage (skis). This time I am tentatively not planning to check any bags. What have been peoplesí recent experiences with wait times at passport control for Non-Schengen (USA) ==> Schengen, been like over the past few weeks? Would my connection time be cutting it, even in the case both flights are on time, given the crowds? Most of the articles I have read have highlighted the issues at the security checkpoints for going landside to airside, but not so much about passport control. Is there anything else I should know, aside from the news and advisories that are already out there?
Ultimately for someone coming from Seattle, when Schiphol works its fantastic for connecting versus flying to the US East Coast and onwards to Europe from there; I chose this itinerary and the similar one I took in February because in both cases they saved at least 4hrs travel time versus going thru JFK or BOS. But if thereís still a high likelihood of encountering trouble when it comes to my immediate needs (connecting Non-Schengen to Schengen), Id definitely be inclined to switch my itinerary to something else. I look forward to hearing what people have to say!

Transit (LAX-AMS on KLM, continuing AMS-MXP on KLM) on Saturday, arrived at 9:20am (as scheduled). There was NO line for "All Passports" but about 5 people in line for EU. Made it through in 3 minutes.

Kays2626 Aug 16, 22 1:20 pm

Hi guys
first of all: thanks for this thread, itís helping a lot.

i didnít read a lot about tui-specific stuff, thatís why Iím asking here.

i have a flight on 26.09 at 11am from AMS to curaÁao.
I know right now itís seems to be kinda clam, but im obviously a little bit nervous.
unfortunately there isnít a way from TUI to book something with express lines. Even Privium is not working for tui customers.

my question: is there any way to buy something like an express service? Iím not a member in any club or something like this.

thanks for your help, I appreciate it

b12e Aug 16, 22 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kays2626 (Post 34519894)
Even Privium is not working for tui customers.

I never flew Tui, so this is a honest question: Unless Tui uses the M gates, why would Privium not work?

johan rebel Aug 16, 22 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by b12e (Post 34519903)
I never flew Tui, so this is a honest question: Unless Tui uses the M gates, why would Privium not work?

Privium is a personal membership program, you get security/immigrations priority no matter which airline you are flying. However, Privium Plus membership comes with J class check-in irrespective of class of travel and airline FF status when flying a number of carriers that Privium has cut a deal with. I bet TUI isn't one of them. I don't think that's what the poster is referring to though, so I don't get it either.

Welcome to FT regardless, Kays 2626.

Johan

erik123 Aug 17, 22 12:31 am

Originally Posted by b12e (Post 34519903)

M gates also has Privium I believe.