FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

thehyrax Oct 23, 2022 8:30 am

Last Friday (Oct 21) arrived around 1:30PM, line for the arrival passport check began (yet again) in the terminal, it was at least 50m long. Luckily I could wave with my Privium card and go down, only to find it packed downstairs (auto-gates were open) and I had to squeeze between everyone to get to the Privium gates (getting some angry looks in the process from people who thought I was skipping the line).

cafeamsterdam Oct 23, 2022 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 34700970)
Have you checked the Wiki at the top of this thread? The answer regarding safe/secure countries is there.

Thanks. The wiki isn't entirely correct or up to date though, as recent SIN flights originating from DPS were not directed through transfer security at AMS in my experience. But appreciate the reference, and others' responses to the question.

NDS88 Oct 23, 2022 2:48 pm

How is the traffic departing Schipol in mid-November? I wouldn't have expected it to be that busy, but found a blog saying November is a peak travel month for NL?

precielous Oct 23, 2022 4:07 pm

Community wiki says 1.5h should be ok (I have access to the priority security line as I am in J), but the KLM website says 4 hours due to operational issues in AMS (ran into the info website cuz I have a flight from LHR to AMS). And apparently the Schiphol website says Thursday, the day I will fly out, is going to be a busy day, and tells me to be in the airport 4 hours in advance. Not sure what to do, but I am thinking of trying to get to AMS, say 2.5h before the departure. Is this going to be all righ?

Is AMS still a mess?

offvoice Oct 23, 2022 11:36 pm

Landed yesterday at 13:30 from JED with SV. TBH not sure where we actually exited, but KMAR took about 15 min (we were in J and hence amongst the first to exit our plane), automatic gates were closed, and there was 1 agent for Non-EU and 2 for EU. An additional booth opened quickly for non-EU shortly after we started queuing.

GUWonder Oct 24, 2022 1:28 am

Originally Posted by cafeamsterdam (Post 34703351)
Thanks. The wiki isn't entirely correct or up to date though, as recent SIN flights originating from DPS were not directed through transfer security at AMS in my experience. But appreciate the reference, and others' responses to the question.

Haven’t been in SIN since before the pandemic hit, but I think that when this KL flight from DPS-AMS stops in SIN it still has passengers deplane in SIN for the plane to get cleaned and the passengers to be rescreened in SIN. And thus when the DPS-originating passengers arrive on this KL flight into AMS, they are nowadays considered “clean” origin.

cafeamsterdam Oct 24, 2022 4:27 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 34704682)
Haven’t been in SIN since before the pandemic hit, but I think that when this KL flight from DPS-AMS stops in SIN it still has passengers deplane in SIN for the plane to get cleaned and the passengers to be rescreened in SIN. And thus when the DPS-originating passengers arrive on this KL flight into AMS, they are nowadays considered “clean” origin.

Yes I can confirm that this has been happening recently, and certainly explains...

travelhive Oct 24, 2022 4:49 pm

Baggage transfer at AMS

I am flying VIE-AMS-MSP in early December. I have a 2 hour 45 minute layover so making the connections shouldn't be an issue, but I know there were problems with baggage handling at AMS earlier this year. Do I need to worry about my baggage showing up in MSP at the end of my flight? Have things improved to the point that this is a non-issue? Or do I need to look at alternative connections (not easy to find a 1-stop that doesn't use AMS) or alternative ways to get my baggage home??

KLflyerRalph Oct 24, 2022 10:59 pm

AMS is also doubling down on the VIP Centre usage. Interesting stat: there are 63k Privium members. https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nede...dingen-privium

AnaTFN Oct 25, 2022 1:16 am

Originally Posted by travelhive (Post 34706532)
I am flying VIE-AMS-MSP in early December. I have a 2 hour 45 minute layover so making the connections shouldn't be an issue, but I know there were problems with baggage handling at AMS earlier this year. Do I need to worry about my baggage showing up in MSP at the end of my flight? Have things improved to the point that this is a non-issue? Or do I need to look at alternative connections (not easy to find a 1-stop that doesn't use AMS) or alternative ways to get my baggage home??

No problem with my baggage in my EU-US-EU trips in the recent months.

TommyD2 Oct 25, 2022 7:52 am

Just adding a data point.

On Monday the 24th we arrived via train from Centraal just after 10am - for a 12:50pm flight. SkyPriority. Hand baggage only. Flying to US, departures 2.

We were off the train, through security and passport control and into KLM lounge in just under 40 minutes. Probably would have been faster if we knew exactly where we were going (and not looking around/following signs).

(The biggest pain was the train schedule--and cancelled trains. We got on one train at Centraal, and it got canceled shortly after that. Headed to another platform for Schiphol, that got cancelled before boarding. Then ANOTHER platform that didn't work out. Finally the 4th train we got on left. We spent more time at the station than our trek to Lounge 52.)

Fabo.sk Oct 25, 2022 9:19 am

Originally Posted by precielous (Post 34703864)
Community wiki says 1.5h should be ok (I have access to the priority security line as I am in J), but the KLM website says 4 hours due to operational issues in AMS (ran into the info website cuz I have a flight from LHR to AMS). And apparently the Schiphol website says Thursday, the day I will fly out, is going to be a busy day, and tells me to be in the airport 4 hours in advance. Not sure what to do, but I am thinking of trying to get to AMS, say 2.5h before the departure. Is this going to be all righ?

Is AMS still a mess?

It's a lot better on average, but there's still semi-random bouts of delays. The KLM and Schiphol websites do not distinguish between priority holders, Privium members and regular passengers, urging everyone to arrive 4 hours prior.
Depending on the time of your flight, that might still be advisable if you don't have priority, but in J, anything over 2 hours is more than enough and gives time to stop by the lounge.

Originally Posted by TommyD2 (Post 34707575)
(The biggest pain was the train schedule--and cancelled trains. We got on one train at Centraal, and it got canceled shortly after that. Headed to another platform for Schiphol, that got cancelled before boarding. Then ANOTHER platform that didn't work out. Finally the 4th train we got on left. We spent more time at the station than our trek to Lounge 52.)

Yes, NS in painful, My service was recently improved from 4 IC trains per hour to 6 IC trains per hour for most of the day, of that 2/4 direct to 4/6 direct (remaining with an edge-to-edge transfer at Leiden), but the schedule was pretty quickly long-term slashed by 1/3 and 1/2 of the remaining trains often end up cancelled on short notice.

So instead of a regular service every 15 or even 10 minutes I now get irregular service where there might be two trains 10 minutes after each other and then a 40 minute gap with maybe a stopping train in between... and late evening service is also getting impacted so the other time I waited 45 minutes for the next available train home after arrival... soon enough I'll be taking taxis. Which is frustrating considering I specifically bought the house I live in because it's a 5 minute walk from the train station.

etiene Oct 27, 2022 8:36 am

Is it the Departures 1 security filter that's Privium/boarding flights only? Have an appointment to register for the RTP-NL trial in the Privium lounge tomorrow, but won't have all that long to get through to my flight afterwards and would like to avoid the Dep 2 prio line which has had queues the last few times I've been through.

derlutz Oct 28, 2022 12:42 am

I will fly on November 2 the route BER-AMS-PTY
At the moment the Shiphol app stats "normal" day.
I will update you on the status once I am there.

drivingforce Oct 28, 2022 1:57 am

Originally Posted by etiene (Post 34712666)
Is it the Departures 1 security filter that's Privium/boarding flights only? Have an appointment to register for the RTP-NL trial in the Privium lounge tomorrow, but won't have all that long to get through to my flight afterwards and would like to avoid the Dep 2 prio line which has had queues the last few times I've been through.

Not directly the answer to your question, but out of interest is the RTP-NL + Privium trial for EU citizens to access Global Entry etc., or for non-EU citizens (but from countries covered by the forthcoming RTP-NL for faster non-schengen AMS arrivals)?

As a frequent AMS user but of non-EU citizenship (however, qualifying to use e-gates on departure), I've been keenly awaiting the roll-out of RTP-NL for faster AMS arrivals but the program is eternally delayed. Was nice to see it go live for folks to access Global Entry etc. again, but that's only half the KMar project!