FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

AnaTFN Oct 7, 2022 5:03 am

Originally Posted by HB-IWC (Post 34661645)
KLM is considering shuttering up 5 longhaul and 25 shorthaul destinations (some of the destinations under review mentioned in the article):

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...hol-green-cap/

If the Dutch government and Schiphol are determined to shoot themselves in the foot even more by following up with this yearly cap of movements, that should take care of a good chunk of current problems by itself. It should also firmly relegate Schiphol's status in Europe to that of a second tier hub.

Cutting down AMS-BOS would indeed be a major loss for business travelers, at least in my industry (biotech)

Bogwoppit Oct 7, 2022 5:11 am

KLM is considering shuttering up 5 longhaul and 25 shorthaul destinations (some of the destinations under review mentioned in the article):

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...hol-green-cap/

If the Dutch government and Schiphol are determined to shoot themselves in the foot even more by following up with this yearly cap of movements, that should take care of a good chunk of current problems by itself. It should also firmly relegate Schiphol's status in Europe to that of a second tier hub.

Montreal! Good grief, will I have to find a new airline to pretend to love? Air France and CDG make me shudder more than the AMS mess.

AnaTFN Oct 7, 2022 5:20 am

My next flight is delayed, and KLM's email explains why:
"We are very sorry, your flight is delayed because it is taking longer than expected to load the aircraft. We are doing our best to help you on your way again soon."

Fabo.sk Oct 7, 2022 5:30 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34661591)
Yep, KLM has finally canceled an upcoming flight of mine. I can live with the rebooking, although it will require a night in an (airport) hotel.

Amazingly, to the best of my recollection this is only the third time I've had a KL flight canceled. Ever! That comes down to an average of one cancelation every two decades. Given the number of KL flights I've taken, I figure that must be a pretty enviable record. I've had more cancelations on other airlines, even though the total number of flights comes nowhere near the number I've taken on KL.

Johan

Good going. I don't think I've ever had a KLM cancellation, at least so far. I've had Air France cancel on me and KLMs codeshare partners, but not the airline itself. Only delays, but so far even those never substantial.

On the other hand OS has been cancelling on me fairly regularly.

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit (Post 34661697)
Montreal! Good grief, will I have to find a new airline to pretend to love? Air France and CDG make me shudder more than the AMS mess.

CDG has been getting better. Not as good for S-NS connections as AMS in good days, but pretty OK.

johan rebel Oct 7, 2022 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34661736)
I don't think I've ever had a KLM cancellation.

Congratulations.

My first two were actually KLC flights, technically an airline in its own right, so the upcoming one is my first ever KLM one.

Johan

view Oct 7, 2022 6:41 am

Pleasantly surprised second time this week, transferring into Schengen security only 10 min wait (no priority lane) and immigration just a few people in the EU line at 09.45 this morning.

E-gates closed into Schengen, no long lines for non EU either.

gnargel Oct 7, 2022 7:14 am

It was so quiet yesterday around 13:00 that the separate priority lines upstairs were closed. No need for them. Wait time for everyone: 15 seconds!

johan rebel Oct 7, 2022 8:29 am

More like putting a bullet through the head. Never underestimate the Dutch government's capacity and determination to wreck their own country. They are more than happy to flush the economy and their citizen's prosperity down the drain in their pursuit of some sort of chimerical climate carbon goal.

Having said that, I would personally be perfectly happy with that capacity cap. Schiphol is a disaster now, but before the pandemic it was pretty bad too. More pax than it could handle; and it only took a few snowflakes, a patch of fog or a gust of wind for everything to go haywire for a whole day or longer. A pax limit that leaves the airport with plenty of redundancy sounds good to me (and sucks for KLM and the Dutch economy).

Johan

BA850 Oct 7, 2022 8:48 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34662087)
More like putting a bullet through the head. Never underestimate the Dutch government's capacity and determination to wreck their own country. They are more than happy to flush the economy and their citizen's prosperity down the drain in their pursuit of some sort of chimerical climate carbon goal.

Having said that, I would personally be perfectly happy with that capacity cap. Schiphol is a disaster now, but before the pandemic it was pretty bad too. More pax than it could handle; and it only took a few snowflakes, a patch of fog or a gust of wind for everything to go haywire for a whole day or longer. A pax limit that leaves the airport with plenty of redundancy sounds good to me (and sucks for KLM and the Dutch economy).

Johan

Things are certainly more extreme in NL, but I fear it's a Europe-wide malaise.

The new British government is fortunately less inclined to sacrifice business at the altar of climate change than its predecessors, but if they really wanted to make a statement, they'd either lean into Heathrow expansion or sanction construction of a new hub in the Thames Estuary and then exploit the Dutch government's craziness by inviting KLM to establish a UK-based subsidiary (à la Aer Lingus) and open a secondary hub on the other side of the channel ;)

johan rebel Oct 7, 2022 10:05 am

In an endeavor to reduce the number of pax flying from Schiphol, KLM Holidays have just sent me an email offering discounts of €75 or €150 on all package deals with departure from AMS.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Johan

dkeng Oct 7, 2022 11:02 am

Just landed at AMS on HV (operated by GetJet - good times...) and seems like there is a problem with the jetbridge. Glad to have a long transfer this evening, and also glad not to be the kind of person that gets up to crowd the aisle the second the airplane comes to a stop.

edit: Thay managed to round up some air stairs, guidance rope, and some apron ground staff in only 10 minutes. I am actually impressed!

hsumh316 Oct 8, 2022 8:00 am

Current immigrations situation. Only 2 immigrations officers for non-EU passports.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...63ca25f25.jpeg

johan rebel Oct 8, 2022 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34661736)
Good going.

They have decided to make up for lost time and just canceled another flight of mine. Within 7 days of departure this time, and without rebooking me. Funny thing is that a Gold colleague has been rebooked on the next available flight. I also didn't receive any notification, found out from my colleague.

Plat line wait time 24 minutes, then the line was cut.

Johan

SkyteamEP Oct 8, 2022 8:40 am

They also cancelled one of my flights within 7 days with no automated rebooking. I called the French PSL (less than 10 minutes wait) within 30 minutes after receiving the notification. Was told the flight doesn't appear cancelled yet on their side and they can only put me on a wait list for another flight, but i need to wait for the cancellation bot to process the cancellation.

johan rebel Oct 8, 2022 8:50 am

Originally Posted by SkyteamEP (Post 34664660)
They also cancelled one of my flights within 7 days with no automated rebooking. I called the French PSL (less than 10 minutes wait) within 30 minutes after receiving the notification.

Still waiting on the second attempt, another 24 minutes and counting. Will probably have to give up soon, have other things to do. Given that my colleague has been rebooked (on a flight that won't work for her, of course), I assume they will be able to see it as canceled.

Johan