FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

thomas199023 Oct 6, 2022 9:11 am

No way to rebook on AF via CDG? Or Delta direct from an US gateway to OSL?

AnaTFN Oct 6, 2022 9:24 am

Originally Posted by thomas199023 (Post 34659374)
No way to rebook on AF via CDG? Or Delta direct from an US gateway to OSL?

He said the late CDG-OSL didn't give him availability (even though I could see doing dummy booking but he didn't get it as an option). Same with a KLM flight to Torp airport, i could see one seat, he told me it was gone.

And I am reluctant to change the long flight to AMS, I have first row in the new premium comfort and don't want to get rebooked into something where I end up in a middle seat for 10+ hours. I've done this in the past when they cancel a flight when i have a really good seat and book me into another one, last minute, middle seat. I'm not risking that voluntarily, so we only looked into ways out of Amsterdam to Oslo.

In any case my main point is that KLM is becoming unreliable with so many cancellations and crappy rebooking options. My US to AMS flight (same flight number) was cancelled twice this week already, luckily today it seems to be operating ok, and the AMS-OSL flight that I was supposed to take was also cancelled at least twice, so I give it a non-zero chance that my newly booked OSL-AMS for Saturday ends up with the same fate. All because of Schiphol mess. For important meetings I might need to start flight another airline so go through another airport.

roelb Oct 6, 2022 9:29 am

Why can't they put you on the J seat on the AMS-OSL flight? That shouldn't be an issue. Try calling again? Also, I see several options AMS-OSL on SAS and Norwegian tomorrow, and indeed also on the 8.50pm KL1151 in business.

You could give the agent a friendly reminder that it is in both yours and KL's interest to get you to Oslo tomorrow, as KLM is liable for both EUR 600 compensation /and/ all costs incured during your overnight connection, which includes a hotel, food, etc.

AnaTFN Oct 6, 2022 9:36 am

Originally Posted by roelb (Post 34659435)
Why can't they put you on the J seat on the AMS-OSL flight? That shouldn't be an issue. Try calling again? Also, I see several options AMS-OSL on SAS and Norwegian tomorrow, and indeed also on the 8.50pm KL1151 in business.

You could give the agent a friendly reminder that it is in both yours and KL's interest to get you to Oslo tomorrow, as KLM is liable for both EUR 600 compensation /and/ all costs incured during your overnight connection, which includes a hotel, food, etc.

Thanks will try again. You are right about the other airlines, I can see them. Will try again (although they tell me they don't see things that I see and that what they see is the real option).

About the business seat: cannot do that for only one of the flight, would need to also include my US to AMS leg and for that there is no availability in business plus I would have to pay for the fare difference since they only have to re-route me in the same class. Therefore not viable.

roelb Oct 6, 2022 9:44 am

The agent can easily give you that J seat for the AMS-OSL flight. It might result in a fare break on the ticket, but that's truly irrelevant when recovering from IRROPS. Just call again. You can also try the Delta reservations agent in the Skyclub at your departure airport. They should also be able to fix your reservation. It might cause your ticket to be reissued on 006 stock though, I've had that happen in the past (or the other way around), but that has no further implications.

AnaTFN Oct 6, 2022 9:58 am

Thank you @roelb for telling me to call again. The new person in the phone could see two available seats AMS-TRF in the same day, so I don't need to spend the night there.

He also offered me to rebook my entire return with SAS over CPH and avoid AMS, because as he said "the same reasons that led to your AMS-OSL being cancelled could make us cancel your next flight, so if you can avoid AMS it's better". Not what I would expect to hear from the Platinum line which should advocate more for their own airline. Turned that down because it would have been in regular economy and I really appreciate the new premium comfort for 10h+ flights....

AnaTFN Oct 6, 2022 10:02 am

Spoke too fast, maybe I will still have surprises. Platinum line says they cannot do anything, that I have to see the airport staff (only worry is that i don't yet have a seat selected for the second flight and it was full, but it is a cityhopper so at least I won't have a middle seat)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d2569f3d90.png

Xandrios Oct 6, 2022 10:35 am

This is truly a pathetic response from KLM, indeed. In the past they had no problems re-routing using other carriers (even *A) and upgrading a segment to business should be fine as well. I'm pretty sure that, after arrival at AMS, they should be able to rebook you instantly at the lounge. Hopefully the business class option is still available at that time.

If your booking is open right now there is a chance that they won't be able to check you in at all for your AMS flight. Most likely you don't currently have an eticket that is valid. If you are planning to arrange this before your flight to AMS, try to be at the airport early - as they will probably require some time to get you checked in (Especially at an outstation).

Good luck on this one! Please let us know how it went.

AnaTFN Oct 6, 2022 11:56 am

At the airport they were able to check me in for both flights BUT I lost my seat, which was 11K :-(

Still in premium comfort but that sucks, I did nothing wrong and I had checked in last night for this flight yet they gave the seat away.

cigarclub_nl Oct 6, 2022 2:14 pm

This Saturday I'll be traveling with my wife at the early 06.40 KL flight to Paris. Both of us have Skypriority (no privium). According to Schiphol's website it is a peak day with lines possibly starting from outside. I do not often have these early flights, but recall that Skypriority entrance at security upstairs does not open at same time as check-in (which I believe opens at 0430) though there is a separate area up the stairs. We'll probably not take any luggage to avoid the hassle, and wife prefers time in lounge over stressing whether we will be there in time.
KLM just says just be there 3 hours before also as Skypriority. An answer I hate as their check-in desks don't open accordingly. What time does Skypriority security open and what's the best way to skip the lines before it opens (and to enter building when outside)? Any recommendations (other than choosing a better flight time :)) Thanks for your help!

johan rebel Oct 6, 2022 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by AnaTFN (Post 34659419)
For important meetings I might need to start flight another airline so go through another airport.

Sounds like an eminently sensible course of action to me.

KLM and Schiphol are locked in some kind of bizarre embrace, trying to simultaneously shoot both themselves and each other in the head.

As far as I'm concerned, AMS has become a last resort option when there are just no other viable alternatives whatsoever.

Johan

HadesNL Oct 6, 2022 2:52 pm

AnaTFN : how nerve wrecking and horrible that this happened to you.....
Fortunately you are a seasoned traveller that can think of suggestions and solutions.....
However the KLM-side seems not ready for any smart resolvement....
Hope you will get safe and sound at your destinations without further hiccups....

* i shudder if a something like that would happen to a first-timer weary traveller.... it would put one right off flying KLM for reliablility

rove312 Oct 7, 2022 3:03 am

We're going on IB Express rather than KL, so I hope I can post here. Now that we've arrived in Europe, we see we will need to check bags for this flight midweek the first week of November. Check-in opens at desk 4 at 9.40 for the 12.10 flight; is there a point in being there much before that? To be at the front of the line when it opens, but I'd guess that desk serves other flights before that? My wife asks for disability assistance and I see on the Schiphol site that an appointment for assistance can be made, after a time that they said it couldn't happen. Make an appointment for 9, so hope to get good help?

johan rebel Oct 7, 2022 3:58 am

I guess it had to happen sooner or later . . .

Yep, KLM has finally canceled an upcoming flight of mine. I can live with the rebooking, although it will require a night in an (airport) hotel.

Amazingly, to the best of my recollection this is only the third time I've had a KL flight canceled. Ever! That comes down to an average of one cancelation every two decades. Given the number of KL flights I've taken, I figure that must be a pretty enviable record. I've had more cancelations on other airlines, even though the total number of flights comes nowhere near the number I've taken on KL.

Johan

HB-IWC Oct 7, 2022 4:44 am

KLM is considering shuttering up 5 longhaul and 25 shorthaul destinations (some of the destinations under review mentioned in the article):

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...hol-green-cap/

If the Dutch government and Schiphol are determined to shoot themselves in the foot even more by following up with this yearly cap of movements, that should take care of a good chunk of current problems by itself. It should also firmly relegate Schiphol's status in Europe to that of a second tier hub.