FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/2080797-mess-ams-today-april-2022-onwards.html)

BA850 Aug 1, 22 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by sierranevada (Post 34477827)
So based on all the stories here, we switched up our flights out of AMS a little. Instead of AMS-ZUR-JRO all on Swiss leaving at 7 am in the morning with a 55 minute connection, we changed to leave AMS at 8 pm the night before to ZUR, will overnight at the Radisson at the airport and then board Swiss in ZUR for nonstop flight to JRO, all in business class. We still need to check bags but hoping that by going later in the evening with no connection, our bags will be good. Will have Apple AirTags in them to keep track. I have more faith in the Swiss in Zurich about getting our bags checked safely. Still planing on being at the AMS airport 3-4 hours in advance for the evening flight.

Canít comment on the security situation for Star Alliance Business at AMS (although I assume youíll be able to skip the main lines), but everything else youíve done here is very sensible.

That 55 minute connection in ZRH was a recipe for disaster given how easily things can fall apart at Schiphol these days.

Definitely worth getting there four hours early too - again, I assume you will enjoy priority security, but itís better to be sitting in the lounge than fretting about whether youíll make it.

Apple AirTags are my new favourite travel accessory!

Fabo.sk Aug 1, 22 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by sierranevada (Post 34477827)
So based on all the stories here, we switched up our flights out of AMS a little. Instead of AMS-ZUR-JRO all on Swiss leaving at 7 am in the morning with a 55 minute connection, we changed to leave AMS at 8 pm the night before to ZUR, will overnight at the Radisson at the airport and then board Swiss in ZUR for nonstop flight to JRO, all in business class. We still need to check bags but hoping that by going later in the evening with no connection, our bags will be good. Will have Apple AirTags in them to keep track. I have more faith in the Swiss in Zurich about getting our bags checked safely. Still planing on being at the AMS airport 3-4 hours in advance for the evening flight.

Originally Posted by BA850 (Post 34477882)
Canít comment on the security situation for Star Alliance Business at AMS (although I assume youíll be able to skip the main lines), but everything else youíve done here is very sensible.

That 55 minute connection in ZRH was a recipe for disaster given how easily things can fall apart at Schiphol these days.

Definitely worth getting there four hours early too - again, I assume you will enjoy priority security, but itís better to be sitting in the lounge than fretting about whether youíll make it.

Apple AirTags are my new favourite travel accessory!

sierranevada will be able to make use of priority security by virtue of LX J ticket. As such, arriving 3-4 hours in advance is not necessary, but of course might well be a good value to just lower the stress level. I'd be wary of 55 minutes connection as well, although, ZRH with a first morning flight, makes for the best circumstances possible.

sierranevada Aug 1, 22 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 34477958)
sierranevada will be able to make use of priority security by virtue of LX J ticket. As such, arriving 3-4 hours in advance is not necessary, but of course might well be a good value to just lower the stress level. I'd be wary of 55 minutes connection as well, although, ZRH with a first morning flight, makes for the best circumstances possible.

Thanks- also *Gold but figured J ticket would be key. If AMS wasn't such a mess, I would have been okay with 55 minute connection in ZUR since I know that airport is fairly compact and the Swiss run like clockwork. But if our outbound was delayed, we would be SOL! Nothing direct to JRO later that day and I don't want to miss the first day our safari. We are overnighting in Arusha so have a little cushion but not a great way to start a trip of a lifetime!

ArnoldB Aug 2, 22 1:15 am

I assume that by tomorrow or the day after, KLM will have expanded the free rebooking to include flights until 13 August. I would then make use of this, probably via phone as online it does not seem to be possible (first flight would already be eligible now, but still shows the same rebooking cost as before online).

Any realistic chance that on the phone they will deny the free rebooking because I booked the flights via an OTA?

Fabo.sk Aug 2, 22 3:57 am

Originally Posted by sierranevada (Post 34477975)
Thanks- also *Gold but figured J ticket would be key. If AMS wasn't such a mess, I would have been okay with 55 minute connection in ZUR since I know that airport is fairly compact and the Swiss run like clockwork. But if our outbound was delayed, we would be SOL! Nothing direct to JRO later that day and I don't want to miss the first day our safari. We are overnighting in Arusha so have a little cushion but not a great way to start a trip of a lifetime!

*G in Y also have priority security access.

Sjoerd Aug 2, 22 4:08 am

Luchtvaartnieuws reports (in Dutch) that the number of AMS-origin departing passengers per day will be maximised in September and October: 67,500 in September and 69,500 in October.
Thatís fewer departing passengers than in August! Reason: people wear more clothes in September/October so the security screening takes longerÖÖ

erik123 Aug 2, 22 4:28 am

Arrived at 11AM for a 13:25 KL Schengen flight. Sky priority was near empty and we were through in about 15 minutes. KL Lounge empty. I asked someone in the regular line how long it took them and she answered 50 minutes. It was getting busier so later might have taken longer.

A friend traveled to Greece Saturday 12:30 flight w/o priority and was through in 25 minutes. Seems funny that weekends now seem OK but Monday was a madhouse. Maybe people were hoping Monday was a better day?

irishguy28 Aug 2, 22 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Sjoerd (Post 34479109)
That’s fewer departing passengers than in August! Reason: people wear more clothes in September/October so the security screening takes longer……

They should open an FKK section at AMS; it could become another unique Schiphol selling point! (Your neighbours to the East in particular would love it!)

:D

irishguy28 Aug 2, 22 6:00 am

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by erik123 (Post 34479142)
A friend traveled to Greece Saturday 12:30 flight w/o priority and was through in 25 minutes. Seems funny that weekends now seem OK but Monday was a madhouse. Maybe people were hoping Monday was a better day?

Saturday is traditionally the day with the fewest flights at AMS.

For each of the past 4 Saturdays, there have been fewer flights on Saturday than on the 6 days immediately thereafter.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...ams/statistics

johan rebel Aug 2, 22 9:31 am

Data point Ī 1 p.m.

- Right-hand inclined moving walkway from Plaza to T2 Departures closed. Left-hand one working, access controlled by two staff.

- Regular stairs partially blocked with a large sign. A single agent was trying to police both the stairs and the elevators, with little success. I could hear her hollering behind me as I photographed the sign.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e2be0210a7.jpg

- T2 departures KLM SkyPriority and regular check-in / bag drop areas virtually deserted. Maybe a dozen pax each.

- Priority "back door" security access manned by two agents. Tensabarrier closed, the agents opened it to admit pax one by one after verifying their eligibility.

- Regular security access opposite KLM SkyPriority check-in (next to door F) very quiet. No queue at all most of the time. There were no lines anywhere. Not outside, not inside, not upstairs.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...12b72ec1c1.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e6c9e93827.jpg

- The regular security access point behind the regular KLM check-in / bag drop was even quieter. That suddenly changed when a group of about 100 pax attacked in close formation. They all came from the direction of T3, my hunch is that they were overspill from security there, had been plucked out of line and sent to T2

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...ef0d80ba63.jpg

- T2 arrivals was a huge luggage mess, even though many bags are now stacked and hidden behind panels.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...70bc01582e.jpg

Johan

irishguy28 Aug 2, 22 10:29 am

Looks like there will be lots of infants/smallies doing a lot more crawling and toddling on their Amsterdam vacation than they expected, with so many strollers abandoned at the carousel!

mistytalon Aug 2, 22 10:30 am

Flying 7AM out of AMS to Zurich tomorrow. I have *G, but I think it's wiser to get there around 3AM and wait at the gate (lounge probably closed) than it is to get there later and get stuck in security somewhere.

irishguy28 Aug 2, 22 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mistytalon (Post 34479904)
Flying 7AM out of AMS to Zurich tomorrow. I have *G, but I think it's wiser to get there around 3AM and wait at the gate (lounge probably closed) than it is to get there later and get stuck in security somewhere.

Could you report back if the Schiphol Schengen Star Alliance lounge is open? Last time I passed it was still shut, with the Aspire lounge (opens at 6am) directly next door accepting all displaced *A folk.

Thanks!

Solevita Aug 2, 22 10:36 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel (Post 34479721)

- T2 arrivals was a huge luggage mess, even though many bags are now stacked and hidden behind panels.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...70bc01582e.jpg

Johan

I guess the screen with RUSH on is for departing bags, but what's with the RUSH? When I was in GOT and they found my bag and I asked them to forward it to BLQ, on the note it was "Rush to BLQ". Do they have a non-rush service that delivers bags by road/boat/keep them in storage for a week? :)

irishguy28 Aug 2, 22 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Solevita (Post 34479918)
"Rush to BLQ"

Visage's comeback single?