Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS Lounge under COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by feederflight
That is particularly weird since the passengers are anyway there in the terminal, especially during peak travel season, including many transit passengers. Where is the point closing the shops then? It doesn't make any sense to me actually and I don't see how this could help mitigating the Covid risk. It is not that airside shops are attracting any customers who are not there anyway....?
The point is that people are dumb and don't understand this and don't want other people to be able to "have fun shoppping" when they can't either (despite airport shopping realistically only being to kill time you are forced to spend there anyway and not particularly for fun). Also, the employees suddenly "felt unsafe" and would rather be paid to sit at home instead of working at a store that has zero increased risk compared to a day earlier when they were all perfectly fine doing the same job at the same place.

So as usual, it's all for show.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
That is particularly weird since the passengers are anyway there in the terminal, especially during peak travel season, including many transit passengers. Where is the point closing the shops then? It doesn't make any sense to me actually and I don't see how this could help mitigating the Covid risk. It is not that airside shops are attracting any customers who are not there anyway....?
And finally, it means a loss of revenue for Schiphol which will lead to more malfunctioning walkways or other "enhancements"
That reminds me of the crazy measures implemented during France's 2nd lockdown that forced shops that could stay open to close certain shelves.
Customers were there, goods were there, staff was there... but commercial transactions for these products could not be made.

It was never even touted as effective against Covid, but as fair to everyone (for whatever that means). I guess this virus did spread to the Netherlands.
the810 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maalloc
It was never even touted as effective against Covid, but as fair to everyone (for whatever that means). I guess this virus did spread to the Netherlands.
There's no doubt a lot of resentment and envy involved.

"Here I am hiding in my attic/basement and feeling miserable, and look at all those non-essential travelers flying to Playa del Whatever! It aint' fair! They are surrounded by clouds of delta and swarms of omicron, yet they don't seem to care! Something must be done to stop them from enjoying themselves!"

Johan
rwSEA, the810, mlin32 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by johan rebel
There's no doubt a lot of resentment and envy involved.
For sure, and I wouldn't even say it's totally unwarranted.
Even though travel restrictions made long-haul trips a bureaucratic nightmare for the past 18 months, most destinations have been devoid of mass-tourism and are way nicer to visit now than in 2019.
Once you jump through the hoops and avoid lockdowns/basic accommodation closure which make travel a pain, it is actually quite pleasant to travel during Covid times. Empty cabins are nothing to complain about, too.
All in all, it turns out I traveled more in 2020/2021 than before, and found those trips to be generally more enjoyable (albeit more complex to organise)!

Now back to topic, what scares me most about the current NL situation is the future Lounge 25 offering. I hope they won't go back to the "streamlined offer" when re-opening... I've developed an allergy to their breakfast sandwich and teriyaki chicken. How they can serve for months on the exact same dish for every meal is beyond my understanding. Rotating between a few options would have a marginal cost, and be a game-changer for frequent travellers counting on the lounge offer to replace a meal.
rwSEA likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where is the point closing the shops then? It doesn't make any sense to me actually and I don't see how this could help mitigating the Covid risk.
That same question can be asked a million times over, given all the illogical, irrational, contradictory, inconsistent and pointless covid measures that have been rammed down our throats for the better part of two years now. One would imagine that after all that time those in charge would have learned a lesson or two, but Permanent Paranoid Panic Mode seems to be the default setting.

There may be a tiny sliver of light on the horizon, though, now that Bill de Blasio (of all people!) has ruled out yet another NYC lockdown. Better late than never, and who knows, perhaps a few more politicians and "experts" will soon see the light.

Johan
TPJ, Goldorak and the810 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:18 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Good stuff.... my BHX-CDG (on Xmas day) has been canned so been rerouted via AMS. Is Lounge 25 closed then? App says it's still open.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I figure it should still be open, but what food they serve is another question.

Johan
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
So it begins…

Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 12:32 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I figure it should still be open, but what food they serve is another question.

Johan
Can confirm everything is normal in the schengen lounge
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Lounge 25 today. 9AM Was slightly under half empty, which is a lot if you think it's christmas saturday.

hot and cold buffets open as normal. Still self-serve.

Most action packed moment was when a young man (sounded brazilian) tried to stealth his way in.
attendant was onto him in seconds and asked him to scan BP, he tried to say he already did and wanted to be left alone so he could work, but that didnt work and he stormed out with a semi-angry "what is this place where you're not even allowed to get some work done".

I hope he doesn't work as a ninja because he wasn't veey good at it 😛
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
attendant was onto him in seconds and asked him to scan BP
How callous and heartless! Depriving the poor guy of his fantastic Sodexo Christmas Buffet experience. Shame! Shame!

Johan
Old Dec 26, 2021, 4:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Non-schengen lounge was completely packed on 25th morning around 10am. Blue restaurant was calm and relaxing
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:51 am

Been a while since I last flew C on KL. I showed my pass to the KL agent at terminal 2, and off I went in the wrong direction.
There is no value to pass through terminal 2 if you fly EU. Should/ve gone through T1..
So I ended up at the intercontinental security/customs. No priority whatsoever, useless C-class ticket..
Schengen lounge 80% full. Food awful, wine(Paarl Heights) is nice but i'm no connoisseur. nice and quiet except for the occasional baby ugh.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Glad to read that lounges are still open with full food and drink offering. Have a flight in a few weeks MAD-AMS-BOG.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Digicola
They are now open again but with an "order and collect" system, where rather than walk into the store to pick out your items you talk to the store employees at the front of the store and they get the item for you. What actual use this has I will never understand.

SkyTeam777 and feederflight like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.