Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS Lounge under COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alec84
I hope at least the cappuccino is normal lounge level (mediocre) and not undrinkable.
As one of those who considers coffee undrinkable by definition, I'm afraid I can't tell you. No doubt somebody else will come along who can answer your question.

Johan
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by johan rebel
As one of those who considers coffee undrinkable by definition, I'm afraid I can't tell you. No doubt somebody else will come along who can answer your question.

Johan
Glad I found a topic where I can complement johan rebel 's thorough knowledge of AMS

AMS (Lounge 25 and 52) coffee is absolutely standard. The machines are similar to what you find in lounges worldwide, and perfectly average quality-wise. KL at its finest.
Compared to the food, which makes for an endless source of jokes and sarcasm, you will be glad to hold your cup of coffee after a long haul. It will be warm and enjoyable... and you will forget it 5 seconds after finishing it.

Certainly not worth spending 40 € or thousands of miles for, but certainly not any worse than what you find in random airport coffee shops.
johan rebel and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by zkzkz
One has Elite stats and would like to guest the other into the lounge.
Just to make sure : Elite status doesn’t grant lounge access. Elite Plus does.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold

Johan
I've usually found lounge coffee decent enough, but a visit to the Aspire Lounge at HEL last week made me worry. The cappuccino was really below average.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should work, as long as you can stomach both breakfast and dinner in the lounge. Just the thought is enough to make plenty people feel queasy.

Johan
Breakfast is more or less OK. Don't expect gourmet food but, as far as lounge food goes, it is more or less passable. Dinner is a different matter. Just expect unexciting sandwich-style snacks and cheap canteen-style collective catering gloop as hot dish. If you want something more like what one usually associates with the words 'lunch' or 'dinner', a meal in town would be preferable..
Old Mar 27, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
I've usually found lounge coffee decent enough, but a visit to the Aspire Lounge at HEL last week made me worry. The cappuccino was really below average.
After flying around Australia and seeing both VA and QF have barista made coffee in both their dom/int lounges I can only deplore the fact that we do not have more of this in Europe.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
If you want something more like what one usually associates with the words 'lunch' or 'dinner', a meal in town would be preferable..
The Privium lounges are a lot closer, and a bargain for regular AMS flyers.

Johan
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Privium lounges are a lot closer, and a bargain for regular AMS flyers.

Johan
It would indeed but the OP stated that he would go into town for the day and then head back to Schiphol for dinner in the lounge. In that situation, delaying the return to Schiphol and have dinner in town instead would make sense if you want a proper dinner.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mfkne
AMS is a one-terminal airport - there are only two parts, the non-Schengen area and the Schengen area. The TATL arrival and UK/IE departure will be from the same area.
Indeed. And guesting into either lounge is not a problem. Though as mentioned, it requires SkyTeam Elite Plus, not just Elite.

Originally Posted by maalloc
Glad I found a topic where I can complement johan rebel 's thorough knowledge of AMS

AMS (Lounge 25 and 52) coffee is absolutely standard. The machines are similar to what you find in lounges worldwide, and perfectly average quality-wise. KL at its finest.
Compared to the food, which makes for an endless source of jokes and sarcasm, you will be glad to hold your cup of coffee after a long haul. It will be warm and enjoyable... and you will forget it 5 seconds after finishing it.

Certainly not worth spending 40 € or thousands of miles for, but certainly not any worse than what you find in random airport coffee shops.
I have not had a good coffee in an airport lounge save for Alitalia lounges back in the day, but I will say, that NS lounge does contain a staffed coffee bar with an actual proper espresso machine, which will deliver marginally better results than the automatic machine.
I don't know what the hours of operation are though, the coffee bar is not staffed during the whole day.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:45 am

I'm planning to book a 12h layover in AMS in order to visit some museums. I'm also planning to have breakfast at the KL lounge (courtesy of my ITA status match which as far as I understand works in AMS/KLM) before leaving to the city and then dinner at the lounge before my flight in the evening. Any reasons why this would not work? Thanks!

Does the lounge have lockers and would you leave your laptop in a locker in this location? Or is there a safer way to store it at the airport?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 8:36 am

AMS is one of I believe relatively few airports that does in fact have lockers.

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/at-schiph...uggage-storage
Alec84 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:16 pm

Yeah, I think I used that around 2018, glad to see it’s still around. But how about the lounge. I know some lounges have lockers (and so does this one according to the lounge map on the website), which could be useful in this case and save a few €.

Last edited by Alec84; Mar 29, 2022 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: FB
Yeah, I think I used that around 2018, glad to see it’s still around. But how about the lounge. I know some lounges have lockers, which could be useful in this case and save a few €.
Well, seven days airside is impressive. I've only used them for the time it takes to enjoy beer and bitterballen landside with friends.
The lounge question has been answered here, but to recapitulate: lounge 52 (non-Schengen) has lockers. Lounge 25 doesn't, but they'll let you leave it for a while. There are lockers underneath the stairs from Schengen D/lounge 25 down to the main level for B/C.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BubbaX
Well, seven days airside is impressive.
Or longer.

Many years ago, when they were quite inexpensive, I would sometimes chuck my winter coat and shoes in a locker before flying to South Africa. If I returned within the week, I would retrieve my stuff from the locker,which invariably contained a note that the contents had been inspected by the KMar. If I was away for longer, the locker would have been emptied by the time I returned, and I would have to collect my things from Lost Property.

Johan
Old May 12, 2022, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the waning days of the pandemic . . . .

Lounge very busy.

Taking one for the team was not an option, the pictures speak for themselves.

Johan
DrLudwig and BubbaX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.