Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I had a totally smooth trip through AMS yesterday, no issues whatsoever except the airport was very busy. Was expecting the worst.

Oh yes, there was one thing. Who are those miserable specimens acting like rental security guards around passport control? Presumably employees of Schiphol, whatever they are. But they think they are something very big and greatly over estimate their own self importance. I got into a bit of an argument with one over his rude, shouting nature and he threatened to call the police on me. It already is quite stressful going through a big airport full of people and being shouted at (to move on after passport control) was a bit like an agression.

For me this behaviour is in stark contrast to the pleasant KLM people in the airport and in the lounges, the restaurant and shop workers, cleaning people, gate agents, etc, and the lovely Dutch people themselves (IME).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Well you know what they say about giving people a uniform...
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Concerto
I had a totally smooth trip through AMS yesterday, no issues whatsoever except the airport was very busy. Was expecting the worst.

Oh yes, there was one thing. Who are those miserable specimens acting like rental security guards around passport control? Presumably employees of Schiphol, whatever they are. But they think they are something very big and greatly over estimate their own self importance. I got into a bit of an argument with one over his rude, shouting nature and he threatened to call the police on me. It already is quite stressful going through a big airport full of people and being shouted at (to move on after passport control) was a bit like an agression.

For me this behaviour is in stark contrast to the pleasant KLM people in the airport and in the lounges, the restaurant and shop workers, cleaning people, gate agents, etc, and the lovely Dutch people themselves (IME).
had one of these securitas people have a long chat with the police for touching my son after I told him not to do that anymore.

irishguy28, Fabo.sk and glennhaak like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
KLM staff @ Schiphol +++ for their attitude and friendliness.

what I HATE about schiphol is the attitude of those power trippers that failed to be a police officer and decided to do security @ schiphol.
how they scream and yell to privium pax like they never fly..... always tell them my DSLR lenses go to secondary so I take them out of my bag.
they get angry about it for being the smart ....

I heard so many horror stories about the TSA in USA but on my last > 30 occasions I had to deal with them.. zero unpleasant interactions.
but schiphol...... anytime I go to security on my return leg in 99% of the occasions just a normal encounter (how it should be!!!).
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't mean to derail the thread, should maybe have started a new one dedicated to this. But somehow I feel it is tangentially related to the "mess" in Amsterdam, given these people are a "mess" that the world would not miss. The KLM lounge lady at the entrance to the lounge told me that they are employed by Schiphol airport, are constantly on a power trip, so just stay cool and ignore them. Good advice. Don't like being shouted at, though.

On a previous trip, to Birmingham in June I think, I saw them being verbally abusive of a passenger with limited English, really saying stupid and unacceptable things. I wanted to intervene, but it does not pay to interfere in other people's problems. I would like something to be done about this, though.
​​​​
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:20 am

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/contact/information/

from the site

Concerns with security staff

Questions or concerns about any mistreatment by the security guards at Schiphol must be addressed to the Ministry of Defence. Follow the link to file an online report. The Secretary of Defence supervises all security staff, so Schiphol is not able to handle queries of this nature.

so to make a complaint about the powertrippers use this link:

https://english.defensie.nl/topics/c...ks-at-airports
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ministry of defence? That sounds ominous. Don't really want to get involved with that bunch of ghosts and spooks. You sure that's not the people who do the security screening, rather than the plonkers marshalling people at passport control?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mfkne
Well you know what they say about giving people a uniform...
A uniform?

Back in the days, generalissimos at least wore fancy, if not fantastical, uniforms with all the bells, whistles, fourragères and a chest full of medals.

Nowadays, a high vis vest is all the average troglodyte needs to claim and rule his own 5 square meter empire. Woe betide those who do not obey his every command.

Johan
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:58 am

@Johan when are we going to drink some beer in Amsterdam and exchange our Customer journeys @ schiphol
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Concerto
The ministry of defence? That sounds ominous. Don't really want to get involved with that bunch of ghosts and spooks. You sure that's not the people who do the security screening, rather than the plonkers marshalling people at passport control?
No this is the right people where you send in your complaints about the securty staff. I've done this multiple times when these power tripping people makes me boiling mad. I've even been called a couple of times by them based on my feedback and they are quite friendly and seems to take your complain seriously. So I would again encourage all to send them your complain/experience when you believe is over the norm.

Cheers!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum, TK Star Alliance Gold
Just to get something out of the way:

The security staff work for their own company, but are the responsibility of the Royal Marechaussee, hence The Ministry of Defense. They are ofcourse the people working the MMW- and X-ray scanners... The guys walking around in high vis vests are hired by Securitas to check for “security threats” all over the terminal. Once again, a security company under the wing of the MOD.

The people in uniforms hanging around passport control sound like Schiphol employees trying to get people in the right line and/or away from througfares. In my experience, those are the worst and most of the time don’t even have correct information.

Unfortunately, whatever uniform someone is wearing there are always those who get a power trip from it...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Can someone explain to me why there has to be a structure of three/four different private companies handling this rather than Schiphol / KMar / MOD organizing a proper security force with public accountability like the USA's TSA? Ridiculous.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by caliform
Can someone explain to me why there has to be a structure of three/four different private companies handling this rather than Schiphol / KMar / MOD organizing a proper security force with public accountability like the USA's TSA? Ridiculous.
No, other than the Dutch habit to think outsourcing is cheaper as doing it yourself and then feeling obliged to have different tenders for each departure area ;-)
caliform likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by atflyer
No, other than the Dutch habit to think outsourcing is cheaper as doing it yourself and then feeling obliged to have different tenders for each departure area ;-)
The reason I was given by the MoD contact was indeed to keep the cost reasonable because of competition - basiscally the normal keep 2 vendors to prevent monopoly of one leading to price increase.
But indeed, there are just too many different people allocated at differnt points and as many have mentioned, when given the chance, they just go on a power trip and their assumption is EVERYONE is illicit and have no idea where or what they are doing, so they need to determine it. But as indicated by so many, a lot of them are just temps/summer jobs type that don't really know but act as if they know.... and start abusing their little power to treaten and belittle pax who ignore their instructions....

The other country where I find this same (or worst) behaviour is ALL major airports in the UK (except security at the LHR BA First check-in area) - especially with their 'special' ziplock bags that you MUST use and anything else is inferior or wrong...

Cheers!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:08 am

I fully agree with @nldogbert,

recently flew to almost all major capitals in the EU, I would say the ones in LIN/ARN/HEL/CPH/CDG (2F/2G)/PRG were very friendly in the separate priority lanes.
but on 80% of those trips outbound from Amsterdam is just miserable.

I was directed to a shorter security line in BHX on several occasions and have mixed feelings about security attitude.

bring back the days of the PHYSICAL SEPARATE queue for privium members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.