Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by johan rebel
The Buitenveldertbaan (09/27) is closed for maintenance this week.

I assume the airport has good reasons for picking the busy summer season to do this.

Johan
because the spreadsheet says so after so many landings. That is the issues with a lot of these kind of decisions, where people who actually think, wonder why the hell has that decision been taken. Most of the time it is because someone only does the bare minimum in their job and does not think it over.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by caliform
While unfortunate, I wouldn't call it a mess. Accidents happen. I've been through the airport a half dozen times in the last few weeks and it was pretty fine. Regular secondaries for my camera gear (as is the norm), but on-time departures.
filmmaker too?!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer

filmmaker too?!
No, photographer! So a bit less gear, but I almost always come through with two bodies and 3 lenses or more, so I take 20 extra minutes for security.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Sounds bad today.

https://nos.nl/liveblog/2294896-stor...iegtuigen.html

Kerosine supply disrupted, causing rolling delays.

I had a 5+ hr delay yesterday myself (unrelated to this, just 747 being...747) followed by a 12+hr delay in LAX connecting. My sympathies with anyone caught in this one.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
According to the headline, hundreds of passengers are stuck for hours on planes (further down it says thousands of passengers stuck on 70 planes), though surely they can't be the departing planes, as why would you keep pax on board a plane that can't leave?

Today is not a day I'd want to be stuck on a plane on the ground, particularly if it's an arriving plane unable to dock and hook up to a ground APU!!!
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
According to the headline, hundreds of passengers are stuck for hours on planes (further down it says thousands of passengers stuck on 70 planes), though surely they can't be the departing planes, as why would you keep pax on board a plane that can't leave?

Today is not a day I'd want to be stuck on a plane on the ground, particularly if it's an arriving plane unable to dock and hook up to a ground APU!!!
that’s actually a life threatening situation. The heat in Schiphol is the high 30’s, cabin will get over 50 degrees without air conditioning. Not good.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL

that’s actually a life threatening situation. The heat in Schiphol is the high 30’s, cabin will get over 50 degrees without air conditioning. Not good.
Indeed, temperature records are falling all over NL today, and a local twitter account here in Den Haag recorded the road surface temperature as 60°C today:
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The reason they do this is because it'll give them priority to get fueled / queued up for departure. Ground staff and management will always push (no pun intended) for a pushback and waiting on the apron.

This happened to my KLM 747 MX delay yesterday too, and then the extra 747 that filled in sat in the sun for too long, spoiling the catered meals. New meals had to be located and loaded, adding an hour to the delay...
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
The reason they do this is because it'll give them priority to get fueled / queued up for departure. Ground staff and management will always push (no pun intended) for a pushback and waiting on the apron.
That would be reasonable if they expected an imminent refuelling. However, the way it's being reported, and given the length of the delays so far recorded, this doesn't seem a realistic scenario:

It also shouldn't be too difficult to arrange, when refuelling recommences, that it is done in a particular order, if that is indeed how refuelling must be performed. I would have expected that many of the flights would be cancelled by then, anyway.

On a day as warm as this, it would be more comfortable for all involved to wait in the terminal. Even if that meant holding everyone in the departure pen again, and preventing them from dispersing throughout the terminal. It should be possible to board the pax again before/while refuelling actually happens. The passengers don't strictly need to be onboard in order for fuel to be put into the tanks, or for a particular plane to lose its place in the "queue"....

EDIT: The Guardian is using a photo of Schiphol, not to report the disruption, but to report the setting of a new maximum temperature record
Attached Images   

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:45 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Just arrived at AMS, and we were fortunate to get to a gate within a few minutes. The non-Schengen lounge is, of course, rammed but the upside (for KLM) is that Blue is getting quite a bit of custom...

Many flights are simply being cancelled but the connection to MAN is stil showing as on time. We will see!

Edit: Arrived in MAN 1 hour late, with a further delay due to emergency runway repairs at MAN. Many short-haul flights that could refuel before/after AMS were operating almost normally.

I can report that the plane's a/c was on whilst on the ground!
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by PeteM01; Jul 25, 2019 at 2:11 am Reason: Update
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:37 pm

By some miracle, KL643 got fueled by old fashioned tankers and is getting ready to push back. This is the first and only aircraft I've seen fueled since getting to Schiphol this afternoon.

Guess there are some very important horses in the back of this combi!

Edit: captain says we're one of the few flights expected to depart tonight. There are indeed 15 horses on board, and enough money at stake to prioritize getting them on their way. Lucky to be along for the ride tonight.

Last edited by terrier; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:58 pm
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
tankers on the way ?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a horrendous prospect - hanging around the terminal all night to board a flight currently rescheduled for 03:50 - and every chance it will be delayed further, or cancelled, in the meantime!!
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:20 pm

What a horrendous prospect - hanging around the terminal all night to board a flight currently rescheduled for 03:50 - and every chance it will be delayed further, or cancelled, in the meantime!!
In the non Schengen part of the low cost terminal as well...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terrier
captain says we're one of the few flights expected to depart tonight.
I understand that the fuel system went down at 1 p.m.

Between 1.45 and 6 p.m., 16 KLM flights took of and arrived at their destination on schedule.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.