Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: FB Plat
Feel free to check real-time information on the Eurocontrol NOP (https://www.public.nm.eurocontrol.in.../gateway/spec/ and https://ext.eurocontrol.int/airport_...nnedactivities). It is especially stated that until 01/06 you can expect the following capacity restrictions:

Capacity 05:00-18:00 (with three ground controllers)
-inbound peaks inbound 64/hr & outbound 32-36/hr
-outbound peaks inbound 32/hr & outbound 64-68/hr
-other moments nominal capacity

Capacity from 18:00 (with two ground controllers)
-inbound peaks inbound 60/hr & outbound 30/hr
-outbound peaks inbound 30/hr & outbound 60/hr
-other moments nominal capacity

The capacity depends on the number of ground controllers available in Tower-Centre (two or three). Capacity above is according to the availability currently planned.
And of course these works are coordinated especially with Schiphol and KL. I am not sure all last-minute cancellations should be considered due to "exceptional circumstances"...
caliform likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Still messy. Many incomming flights to AMS tomorrow morning pushed up to 3 hours forward. My own for instance...
Old May 16, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLBGO
Still messy. Many incomming flights to AMS tomorrow morning pushed up to 3 hours forward. My own for instance...
That sucks!I hope you don't have a connection. Good luck!

If many incoming morning flights are delayed up to three hours, that almost guarantees that things will be screwed up for the rest of the day as well.

Schiphol's management has been asking for trouble ever since they decided it would be such a great idea to run the airport at 100% capacity or more. All it now takes is a few snowflakes, a bit of wind, some fog, runway maintenance or ATC issues for things to go completely haywire.

Johan
Old May 19, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by johan rebel
That sucks!I hope you don't have a connection. Good luck!

If many incoming morning flights are delayed up to three hours, that almost guarantees that things will be screwed up for the rest of the day as well.

Schiphol's management has been asking for trouble ever since they decided it would be such a great idea to run the airport at 100% capacity or more. All it now takes is a few snowflakes, a bit of wind, some fog, runway maintenance or ATC issues for things to go completely haywire.

Johan
That just about hits the proverbial nail on the head. There used to be a few slack moments during the day which allowed some recovery time but that is no longer the case. Full to the brim and no room to regroup.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
I'm not sure if someone posted it already but there'll be a massive public transit strike in the Netherlands on the 28th of may.
It's a 24 hour strike throughout the whole country.

Expect massive disruption if you have to get to Schiphol.

(found this out the hard way - which resulted in a forced stay at an airport hotel)
Old May 20, 2019, 2:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
How did you find out the hard way? Are you a time traveler? Thanks for the note anyway.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by caliform
How did you find out the hard way? Are you a time traveler? Thanks for the note anyway.
My Dutch MiL told me one hour after the free cancellation of my booking ended. That's a pretty harsh way I'd say.
But yeah, that grammar could've been better on my part.
caliform likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Oof.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
I'm not sure if someone posted it already but there'll be a massive public transit strike in the Netherlands on the 28th of may.
It's a 24 hour strike throughout the whole country.

Expect massive disruption if you have to get to Schiphol.

(found this out the hard way - which resulted in a forced stay at an airport hotel)
Note that Schiphol is preparing a lawsuit to keep the airport accessible, so this is not set in stone yet. I hope they will manage to keep at least an hourly train to the big stations. I assume taxi's will be hard to find at 9 AM.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Boturham
Note that Schiphol is preparing a lawsuit to keep the airport accessible, so this is not set in stone yet. I hope they will manage to keep at least an hourly train to the big stations. I assume taxi's will be hard to find at 9 AM.
There are these websites where you can pre-book taxi's and I still was able to book one yesterday (for a trip to Schiphol on 28 May). You can also book them from Schiphol. Lawsuit apparently is on Sunday and should give a direct judgment.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
If anyone gets stuck overnight in AMS, the guidelines KLM has for reimbursement are the following if you don't want to wait for vouchers & co:
  • 190 EUR for the hotel
  • 25 EUR for food
  • 50 EUR for transport
glennhaak likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: FB Club 2000, M&M Hon
Originally Posted by Boturham
Accessible means a busservice between the parkinglots and the main/crew terminal.
Old May 25, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by tgv2
Accessible means a busservice between the parkinglots and the main/crew terminal.
No, that kind of service is available as standard. The lawsuit is about preventing that Schiphol has not any trains to/from key destinations.Let us see what comes out of this in the next 20 hours.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
The judge ruled that there will be 4 trains an hour between Amsterdam Central and Schiphol. That seems to be it.

This will likely become a huuuuge mess. These few trains will not, in any way, make up for all the lost/canceled services between the city and airport.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
The judge ruled that there will be 4 trains an hour between Amsterdam Central and Schiphol. That seems to be it.

This will likely become a huuuuge mess. These few trains will not, in any way, make up for all the lost/canceled services between the city and airport.
Agree. This helps no one coming from any other destination as Amsterdam. I prebooked a cab from den Haag but I guess huge traffic jams since 1000s of travellers now have to resort to such options. So built in 2 hours slack in what normally is a 30 min drive.

Last edited by atflyer; May 26, 2019 at 10:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.