Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: FB Ultimate - BA EC - LH M&M - Accor All Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Though, walking back to the train station, I noticed a Novotel right next to the station which I may give a try next time. It has a somewhat better location in relation to public transport. The hotel shuttle busses don't seem to run any more.
This is probably my favorite hotel in Schiphol, not too expensive compared to the overpriced Hilton and Sheraton (and even Citizen M sometimes).
Last september I paid around 130€ per night breakfast included for 2.
But actually there is no shuttle to the airport. 4-5mn train from Hoofddorp station.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:26 am

During the pandemic (and maybe till end of February) citizenm had some nice fares (between 90-100) euro which given the walking to/from airport found it to be quite a good option. I now see that from March onwards they do increase their prices to 150+ per night.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
40 gusting 57 knots, meaning over 100km/h gusts now.

Not much activity at AMS. KLM from Barcelona just landed on the second try, easyJet from EDI has to try again.

A small number of aircraft, are readying to depart. A KLM 737 to Munich also just departed. Must have been an interesting one against such a wind.
I was on that flight to Munich. It felt more shaky at the gate and taxiing than it felt taking off into the wind. Quick climb with some bumps maybe the first 30-60 seconds, then a smooth flight afterwards.

Looks like I missed some of you in the Schengen lounge Friday a.m. - I was originally booked on the 10:05 to BUD (the last get of that great BUD-Hawaii fare) and planning to take a train up to Germany in the afternoon. That flight got cancelled just as we were about to start boarding, at a time when there weren't that many cancellations yet, so somewhat unlucky on that one. Had I known it was cancelled by the time I arrived from ATL before 07:00, I probably would have had more options to a workable alternate destination prior to noon. By the time I got back to the lounge, there was quite a line to talk with the service desk agents, so at that point a potential rebooking on the 10:50 LH flight to Munich was off the table. The afternoon BUD flight was full, plus I didn't really need to be in BUD so tried my luck with the last remaining seat of that 15:20 MUC flight. And while cancellations piled up around that time for most other destinations, I got lucky and arrived at my final destination in Germany at about the same time as I would have if everything had gone as scheduled. Some extra excitement and drama, but all ended well.
Xandrios and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
The hotel shuttle busses don't seem to run any more.
Haven't been running since summer '20, if not longer.

IHG had a hard time updating its website, several properties ended up paying my cab fare to the hotel, and organizing transportation back to the airport the next day. The Hoofddorp hotel was one of them. CPH Crowne Plaza even laid on a 70—seater coach just for me one morning.

I'm at CPH now, most KL flights to/from AMS have been canceled. Looks as if KL 1131/32 is the only one left. Doesn't affect me, fortunately.

Johan
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
During the pandemic (and maybe till end of February) citizenm had some nice fares (between 90-100) euro which given the walking to/from airport found it to be quite a good option. I now see that from March onwards they do increase their prices to 150+ per night.
Yeah, I generally found them to be the best option, I could never think of any justification to pay a lot more for the Hilton or Sheraton.

Pandemic travel had its downsides, but they were easily outweighed by the advantages. Low prices was one of those.

Johan
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry_greece
Yeah, I generally found them to be the best option, I could never think of any justification to pay a lot more for the Hilton or Sheraton.

Pandemic travel had its downsides, but they were easily outweighed by the advantages. Low prices was one of those.

Johan
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:23 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hogo74
The afternoon BUD flight was full, plus I didn't really need to be in BUD so tried my luck with the last remaining seat of that 15:20 MUC flight. And while cancellations piled up around that time for most other destinations, I got lucky and arrived at my final destination in Germany at about the same time as I would have if everything had gone as scheduled. Some extra excitement and drama, but all ended well.
It could have been full at the time you tried to rebook, but I was on that flight and not sure what happened - I believe I had the only row (in Eco Com) with an open seat (my partner was also "upgraded" to EC) and initially according to the seat map, the window seat was occupied, but when boarding was came to the last few pax, the gate agent came onboard and asked us if there was anyone next to us - which we responded negative - I was afraid that they would slot a standby pax, but turned out after that with the last few pax boarded, the door was closed and I had my own semi-business class seat.
I was actually also in the same situation - was just returning to BUD to spend a weekend after starting my trip there for the same BUD discounted fare back in Nov '21.

Cheers!
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
So, this is a first time experience!!

Sitting comfortably in the cabin of the AMS-GRU and just finished pdb and got menu order in.

Then the cabin crew come asking people one by one to confirm they are checked in.

Then... turns out the checkin computer was broken so the solution is....

Everybody out!!! And board again. Take all your luggage with you.

Now stood at the gate waiting for everyone to deplane.

Maybe someone decided we hadn't been in enough queues! Between the passport control being as crowded as ever and the self service gates on the other side being shut again.

At least the kind FA promised we'd get another PDB 😁
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Update: I missed the 2nd PDB and now we headed to the polderbaan 😫
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Update: I missed the 2nd PDB and now we headed to the Polderbaan 😫
Far enough away to allow time for another three PDBs, if not four. Plus an amuse-bouche or two.

Johan
Old May 27, 2022, 7:04 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow the discussion in the new thread

Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards

Thanks for your understanding

Gajan & Jouy31
Air France/KLM co-moderators

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.