Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:09 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

FYI; today was quite a mess in Amsterdam. I was supposed to fly Aegean at 12:15, but there was 2cm snow (as predicted by meteo) and they ran out of deicing liquid. Departed with 90 minutes delay. The KLM flight (same destination/time) was even delayed over 2 hours.

Some twitter users reported power cuts at schiphol train station as well. I didn't notice any of that when I arrived though.

Anyway, be warned..there is most likely going to be snow the next few days.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yikes. Appreciate the heads-up.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xandrios
but there was 2cm snow (as predicted by meteo) and they ran out of deicing liquid.
Ha ha ha ha! How the heck can they run out of deicing fluid?

I flew SK from CPH to AMS this afternoon. The incoming flight was late (it came from AMS) and when all pax had finally boarded we were given an extra 32 minute ATC delay due to the "bad weather" in AMS. Fortunately we were not assigned the Polderbaan, but instead we got stuck for ages between the D and C concourses because other aircraft were blocking the taxiway. Once finally off the plane I did notice rather long lines at the transfer desks, but I've seen far worse.

At home it snowed nonstop for four days straight earlier this week. That posed a few minor challenges, but I would not describe it as "bad weather", even though it would probably have closed AMS for several days.

Johan
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Yep, AMS as the rest of the country breaks down when there is snow
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
...and they ran out of deicing liquid.

Do you have a confirmed source for this? Will help many including myself when it comes time to making a claim.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
How does the weather look like tomorrow? Any snow?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
My AMS -> JFK flight on Delta was delayed a little over 2 hours which meant I missed my connecting flight in JFK (Seperate ticket might I add!!!!).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Sounds like I got lucky for a change! I booked my flight to Prague a few days ago, would have been traveling today via AMS but I was thinking the short connection time and walking distance at Schipol, coupled with the unpredictable passport control times...well, I went via Dubai instead with a longer connection time. Phew! But man, running out de-icing liquid...

Am I the only one who thinks the de-icing process and speed could somehow be improved? So many times I've watched those dudes work and I'm thinking, seriously no pace!! Defo not getting paid by the plane, lol!!
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Coincedentally, KLM just posted a video about the de-icing squad, probably to show how prepared they are!
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by majik
Do you have a confirmed source for this? Will help many including myself when it comes time to making a claim.
Unfortunately I do not. When I tweeted @Schiphol regarding the debacle another user mentioned this fact. I'll ask that person to see if we can get a source..

the snow that caused all of this was hardly anything by the way (picture of B pier)
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Powers106
Am I the only one who thinks the de-icing process and speed could somehow be improved? So many times I've watched those dudes work and I'm thinking, seriously no pace.
Believe it or not, but the de-icing team at AMS is staffed entirely by volunteers. On the rare days that their services are needed they page a bunch of secretaries, pastry chefs, janitors, archivists and social media support staff. I'm sure they do their level best, but pros they are not.

Originally Posted by strikerbird
How does the weather look like tomorrow? Any snow?
It snowed all evening yesterday in Amsterdam, looks like about 3 cm or so. Today has been overcast and dull, but it is brightening a bit now.

Lots of delays again today, according to Flightstats.

Johan
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:41 am
Original Poster

On that subject, who runs the de-icing fleet? Schiphol tweeted that it is not their responsibility, but rather that of specific airlines. Which implies that each handling agent has their own de-icing equipment. I always thought it was ran by the airport itself though?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:05 am

On that subject, who runs the de-icing fleet? Schiphol tweeted that it is not their responsibility, but rather that of specific airlines. Which implies that each handling agent has their own de-icing equipment. I always thought it was ran by the airport itself though?
oh, nooo no no no. KLM and the handling agents do the deicing.
Schiphol makes sure the airport is operational.
Are there airports who provide this service, especially this scale airport?(i wonder)
Old Feb 12, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Anne Smithson
oh, nooo no no no. KLM and the handling agents do the deicing.
Schiphol makes sure the airport is operational.
Are there airports who provide this service, especially this scale airport?(i wonder)
MUC and YYZ are 2 large airports I can think of where the de-icing is done at a dedicated facility just before takeoff.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
MUC and YYZ are 2 large airports I can think of where the de-icing is done at a dedicated facility just before takeoff.
MSP too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.