FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   KLM Flying Dutchman (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman-493/)
-   -   Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/klm-flying-dutchman/1821396-mess-ams-today-up-march-2022-a.html)

Xandrios Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

FYI; today was quite a mess in Amsterdam. I was supposed to fly Aegean at 12:15, but there was 2cm snow (as predicted by meteo) and they ran out of deicing liquid. Departed with 90 minutes delay. The KLM flight (same destination/time) was even delayed over 2 hours.

Some twitter users reported power cuts at schiphol train station as well. I didn't notice any of that when I arrived though.

Anyway, be warned..there is most likely going to be snow the next few days.

caliform Feb 11, 2017 11:28 am

Yikes. Appreciate the heads-up.

johan rebel Feb 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 27895789)
but there was 2cm snow (as predicted by meteo) and they ran out of deicing liquid.

Ha ha ha ha! How the heck can they run out of deicing fluid?

I flew SK from CPH to AMS this afternoon. The incoming flight was late (it came from AMS) and when all pax had finally boarded we were given an extra 32 minute ATC delay due to the "bad weather" in AMS. Fortunately we were not assigned the Polderbaan, but instead we got stuck for ages between the D and C concourses because other aircraft were blocking the taxiway. Once finally off the plane I did notice rather long lines at the transfer desks, but I've seen far worse.

At home it snowed nonstop for four days straight earlier this week. That posed a few minor challenges, but I would not describe it as "bad weather", even though it would probably have closed AMS for several days.

Johan

Ditto Feb 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Yep, AMS as the rest of the country breaks down when there is snow ;)

majik Feb 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 27895789)
...and they ran out of deicing liquid.

Do you have a confirmed source for this? Will help many including myself when it comes time to making a claim.

strikerbird Feb 11, 2017 3:50 pm

How does the weather look like tomorrow? Any snow?

Lewis42 Feb 11, 2017 5:19 pm

My AMS -> JFK flight on Delta was delayed a little over 2 hours which meant I missed my connecting flight in JFK (Seperate ticket might I add!!!!).

Powers106 Feb 11, 2017 7:50 pm

Sounds like I got lucky for a change! I booked my flight to Prague a few days ago, would have been traveling today via AMS but I was thinking the short connection time and walking distance at Schipol, coupled with the unpredictable passport control times...well, I went via Dubai instead with a longer connection time. Phew! But man, running out de-icing liquid...

Am I the only one who thinks the de-icing process and speed could somehow be improved? So many times I've watched those dudes work and I'm thinking, seriously no pace!! Defo not getting paid by the plane, lol!!

KLflyerRalph Feb 12, 2017 2:16 am

Coincedentally, KLM just posted a video about the de-icing squad, probably to show how prepared they are! :D

Xandrios Feb 12, 2017 3:54 am

Originally Posted by majik (Post 27896507)
Do you have a confirmed source for this? Will help many including myself when it comes time to making a claim.

Unfortunately I do not. When I tweeted @Schiphol regarding the debacle another user mentioned this fact. I'll ask that person to see if we can get a source.. :)

the snow that caused all of this was hardly anything by the way (picture of B pier)

johan rebel Feb 12, 2017 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Powers106 (Post 27897202)
Am I the only one who thinks the de-icing process and speed could somehow be improved? So many times I've watched those dudes work and I'm thinking, seriously no pace.

Believe it or not, but the de-icing team at AMS is staffed entirely by volunteers. On the rare days that their services are needed they page a bunch of secretaries, pastry chefs, janitors, archivists and social media support staff. I'm sure they do their level best, but pros they are not.

Originally Posted by strikerbird (Post 27896602)
How does the weather look like tomorrow? Any snow?

It snowed all evening yesterday in Amsterdam, looks like about 3 cm or so. Today has been overcast and dull, but it is brightening a bit now.

Lots of delays again today, according to Flightstats.

Johan

Xandrios Feb 12, 2017 9:41 am

On that subject, who runs the de-icing fleet? Schiphol tweeted that it is not their responsibility, but rather that of specific airlines. Which implies that each handling agent has their own de-icing equipment. I always thought it was ran by the airport itself though?

Mcflyneo Feb 12, 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 27898773)
On that subject, who runs the de-icing fleet? Schiphol tweeted that it is not their responsibility, but rather that of specific airlines. Which implies that each handling agent has their own de-icing equipment. I always thought it was ran by the airport itself though?

oh, nooo no no no. KLM and the handling agents do the deicing.
Schiphol makes sure the airport is operational.
Are there airports who provide this service, especially this scale airport?(i wonder)

Crampedin13A Feb 12, 2017 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Anne Smithson (Post 27898856)
oh, nooo no no no. KLM and the handling agents do the deicing.
Schiphol makes sure the airport is operational.
Are there airports who provide this service, especially this scale airport?(i wonder)

MUC and YYZ are 2 large airports I can think of where the de-icing is done at a dedicated facility just before takeoff.

caliform Feb 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A (Post 27899138)
MUC and YYZ are 2 large airports I can think of where the de-icing is done at a dedicated facility just before takeoff.

MSP too.