Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
KLM.com is reporting a huge baggage issue at AMS today, with 'bags not expected to arrive'. Anyone have details?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their website only says there were problems yesterday

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol - Baggage system heavily disrupted on Saturday 29 June 2019

Not all bags will make final destination today. Please fill missing bags report on KLM.com.

No mention of any issues today, although the effects of whatever happened yesterday will most likely be felt for days to come.

Johan
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: KL Platinum
All my flights from AMS to NCL, BHX, CWL and BRS in June were delayed by up to 50 minutes. Left at varying times of the day and each time the Skipper blamed late arrival of the incoming aircraft but didn’t elaborate further (weather, runway maintenance, etc.) First time I’ve experienced delays on 4 consecutive itineraries.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: FB plat for life
Tonight (last night actually) BCN-AMS on the 19:40 KL1676 - late because late incoming.
Left the lounge late to find they started boarding within 15 mins after docking at the gate.
I made a remark about the quick turn around and the purser said ' yes we want to break a record and also to minimise the delay'.
He introduced himself to some in J and after take off to us (wife being LTPE too) and said ask me anything to make your trip easier.
Touch down in the end a few minutes after schedule - quick taxi - and within 20 minutes after that luggage arrived....

What can we say - is this a new era ?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
is this a new era ?
Most likely, at least until Schiphol gets its act together.

I checked my regular commute on Flightstats:

In the one direction 48 out of the last 61 flights were delayed, by on average 26 minutes (by airline standards, where a delay of 15 minutes or less is not a delay, only 26 flights were late).

In the other direction it was 47 out of 62.

Johan
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Anyone have details?
Luchtvaartnieuws reports that KLM has sent office workers to Schiphol to help deal with a backlog of thousands of bags.

De Telegraaf reports (with pictures to prove it) that bags were dumped in big piles at various insecure locations all over the airport, such as under bridges.

The mess was apparently the result of some unspecified "computer failure". "Tens of thousands" of bags allegedly did not make it to their destination as scheduled.

Johan
Old Jul 5, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dutch media are reporting that the goverment is planning to raise the cap on flight movements at AMS from 500,000 to 540,000 from 2021. That's an extra 110 flights a day.

Schipol had better make sure they can cope!

Johan
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Dutch media are reporting that the goverment is planning to raise the cap on flight movements at AMS from 500,000 to 540,000 from 2021. That's an extra 110 flights a day.

Schipol had better make sure they can cope!

Johan
That would explain why they felt confident to place an order for a bunch of E195. Since everything is at capacity and that the KLC fleet is young, I was wondering how they would fit those extra planes.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to Luchtvaartnieuws Schiphol is now taking "extra measures" to cope with the summer peak travel period. These include "making flight information available 24/7"

Huh? Duh? What?

Not sure how innovative that is, nor how on earth it is going to make any difference.

Another bright idea is to make passengers aware that they can check in online.

Johan

Last edited by johan rebel; Jul 5, 2019 at 11:27 am
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Another bright idea is to make passengers aware that they can check in online.
Somehow, I think that anyone that is still not aware that they can check in online is almost certainly the type of passenger that will have to queue up to check a bag in...so I don't see any benefit.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Somehow, I think that anyone that is still not aware that they can check in online is almost certainly the type of passenger that will have to queue up to check a bag in.
They are no doubt also the ones who get Economy Comfort seats for free because they are amongst the very last to check in.

Johan
Concerto, irishguy28, Xizm and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
They are no doubt also the ones who get Economy Comfort seats for free because they are amongst the very last to check in.

Johan
Unless FB Plat holders conspire to hoard the EC seats
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Johan
This, years after the introduction of EC on short-haul, still pisses me off. The comfort of FFs (even if only Golds or Silvers) is neglected to save effort on the gate/checkin agent's part. And it is done systematically so, by official KLM policy.

The only reason left for me to fly KL is schedule. And in those cases I pay for EC. In all other cases I fly the competition - having *A Gold I have the luxury to choose. And frankly, *A is often (a lot) cheaper too. Now with the new *A lounge at AMS there is no reason to not choose A3, LH or LX over KLM.

All that boils down to me having shifted most of my traveling away from KL. So who's the real loser here..me or KL? I guess that depends on how you look at it.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Luchtvaartnieuws reports that KLM has sent office workers to Schiphol to help deal with a backlog of thousands of bags.

De Telegraaf reports (with pictures to prove it) that bags were dumped in big piles at various insecure locations all over the airport, such as under bridges.

The mess was apparently the result of some unspecified "computer failure". "Tens of thousands" of bags allegedly did not make it to their destination as scheduled.

Johan
This makes me nervous. I'm connecting in AMS Thursday on my way to a hiking trip, and I really don't want to fly in my hiking boots from the US.

Unfortunately I dealt with a similar baggage system breakdown a few years ago that resulted in thousands of connecting bags not making their onward flight. Bags that originated in AMS were fine. The most annoying thing was no announcement from KLM - nothing on the plane and nothing at the destination. They let us all uselessly stand around the baggage carousal for 45 minutes before we gradually gave up and went to file a claim.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum / Privium+ / Hilton Gold
was yesterday @ schiphol for a couple of hours, schiphol website showed a 2 out of 3 people crowding indication.
but no issue at all (we arrived around 12:00). Lounges where "half filled" security queue < 15 min. customs <15 min

so not as bad as I was expecting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.