Search

Mess in AMS today - up to March 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
Original Poster

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Grouchy
FNV KLM ground employees will strike this sunday between 13h00-17h00.
Pretty sure my flight will be delayed, unsure if it's also going to be cancelled.

edit:
source; https://www.fnv.nl/nieuwsbericht/sec...dpersoneel-klm
You're scheduled to fly 16:50? I'd assume that KLM now has the situation under control to the point where the normal operations would resume pretty quickly after the strike ends..
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by Xandrios
You're scheduled to fly 16:50? I'd assume that KLM now has the situation under control to the point where the normal operations would resume pretty quickly after the strike ends..
No & I hope so but did you saw the departure boards on 4 September?
During the last strike (Wednesday 4 September) that was from 8h00-10h00 and lasted 'only' 2 hours a lot of flights where still delayed the rest of the day. 'my flight' was still 2h04min late and that was more then 12 hours after that strike ended.
It's friday now and i spoke to some people earlier today who still have no clue where their luggage is.
This one will last 4 hours
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
In my experience Wed had more delays (in both quantity and duration) than Mon (despite also refusing to accept checked bags), so KLM isn’t utilizing past experience to improve their handling of strikes. I doubt I’ll be flying KLM again. The European member airlines of SkyTeam are extremely too prone to strikes and they’ve had their last chance with me.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Yup, this does irreparable damage to an airline's brand. The impact is so severe. Awful.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Currently in the airport Hilton as a consequence of missing my connection last night. The pilot claimed the inward (KLM) flight was delayed because of problems in the morning that had messed up the flight schedules for the rest of the day. And Friday was just a normal, no-strike day...
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: FB Plat
I also spent a night in Amsterdam, due to a delayed AMS->BER flight that snowballed into me missing a 1h15 connection. Reason being, they had to remove the luggage of a pax that missed the flight.

Now clearing passport check. They have only 4 automated passport machines activated out of 10, and the wait is of around 20-30 minutes. They definitively know how to sell that Privium service to cut the lines.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armus
KLM isn’t utilizing past experience to improve their handling of strikes.
On the other hand, the union seems to be getting savvier.

By scheduling the next strike in the afternoon, they will ensure that cabin and cockpit crews who have already done a shorthaul return flight earlier in the day won't have sufficient duty hours left to complete a delayed flight in the afternoon. KL will either have to cancel these flights, or somehow find new crews to operate them.

Johan
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This morning some 47 KL departures from AMS were delayed. I figure that's about one flight in three.

Not sure what's wrong today. Perhaps nothing, mayby it is simply par for the AMS course these days.

Johan
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by lloydje33
Only the airlines which have ground handling from KLM will be affected. So all SkyTeam and Transavia flights.
Not all SkyTeam flights are handled by KLM, conversely, also some non-SkyTeam flights are.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
Here

Johan
Strike has been cancelled !
Goldorak likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobTL
Strike has been cancelled!
Or postponed.

If KL does not offer a better deal by Friday, they will go on strike again.

Johan
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
https://news.klm.com/

I was surprised to notice today that the English version of the news page doesn't have any of these recent updates posted.

If you want the updates, you have to watch https://nieuws.klm.com/
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: FB Plat, ALL Silver, HH Silver
Originally Posted by armus

...I doubt I’ll be flying KLM again. The European member airlines of SkyTeam are extremely too prone to strikes and they’ve had their last chance with me.
While not a Skyteam member, British Airways is significantly more prone to very disruptive strikes. Count your blessings with this one.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Lawrious
While not a Skyteam member, British Airways is significantly more prone to very disruptive strikes. Count your blessings with this one.
And while the likes of LH haven't had a flight-disrupting strike recently, there's been strikes impacting the experience; including security at LH hubs and catering.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was a right mess this afternoon, nary a flight departed on schedule.

The flight I was on boarded on time, despite a last minute aircraft change. The 73W originally scheduled had apparently gone tech. On the flight it had been due to operate this morning it had been replaced by an E190 ( 142 to 88 seats. Ouch!), now we got a 738 instead. That meant KL was now also out of spare aircraft.

Exactly at STD the captain appeared in the aisle and gave us all the good news: an ATC delay of 60 minute due to "low cloud"! They had knows this for some time, but instead of announcing the delay at the gate they had decided to board on schedule and close th doors, so we would be ready to push back immediately in case ATC had a sudden change of mind.

Now I'm willing to accept thunderstorms, heavy snowfall, freezing rain, pea soup fog and nuclear blasts as legit reasons for delays, at least up to a point. But low cloud???

I had a conversation with the captain about it, and he was as baffled as he was vexed. It was raining lightly, the cloudbase was low, but that was all there was to it. He said that as long as he could find the runway he could take off, but ATC called all the shots.

In the event we took off about 40 minutes late, which compared favorably to most other flights this afternoon.

If this is the new normal at AMS, winter is going to be a lot of fun!

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.