Same Day Change

Old Jan 17, 18, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Same Day Change

Has anyone ever not been able to do a same day change on a flight? I'm Mosiac and looking at some BOS-MCO flights that have super cheap morning or late flights that i'd like to book, and then move the day before.. Any states on sell outs of flights anywhere?
Old Jan 17, 18, 5:04 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

You can't do a SDC to a flight operated on a different day. You can make the change a full 24 hours before the departure time of your original flight, but you have to change to another flight on the same day of your original flight.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
I'm Mosaic and I recently had a Mint class flight and when I got to the airport asked if I could get on the earlier flight.

I was told that they would have to re-issue the ticket and recalculate fares if I wanted change my flight.

I don't remember having to do in the past. Is there a new policy this year?
Old Jan 18, 18, 12:27 pm

Directly from JetBlue's website:

Same-Day Flight Change
Cities with Multiple Flights a Day
  • You must contact JetBlue prior to the departure of your original flight
  • You can make your confirmed same-day changes online, via 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583) or at the airport beginning at midnight (in the time zone of the departing flight) of the same calendar day as your original scheduled flight.
  • You must travel on an earlier or later flight the same day.
  • You must travel between the same city pairs or designated co-located airport.
  • A same-day change fee of $75 may apply, depending on your fare.
Cities with One Flight a DayThe same-day change option is not available for cities with one flight a day.
Additional Mosaic Same-Day Change Benefits
  • You can make your confirmed same-day changes via the dedicated Mosaic line or at the airport beginning a full 24 hours (in the time zone of the departing flight) prior to your original scheduled flight.
  • Same day change fee is waived.
  • All other same-day change guidelines apply.
There is no mention that the fee waiver does not apply to Mint fares, so going by the company's own verbiage, I would surmise that the agent you spoke with was mistaken.

Additionally, even as a non-Mosaic, the SDC fee is $75 with no mention of a re-fare.
Old Jan 18, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Thanks. Sounds like it was a case of applying HUCA (or going to another counter since this was at the airport).
Old Jan 20, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Silver, D23 Charter Member, JetBlue Mosaic, Southwest A-List
To do the Mosaic same day changes, you have to call the Mosaic hotline and make the change. I don't think the airport has the capability hence why they treated it as a regular standby situation. Same goes for using points for EMS upgrades--you have to do it in advance.
Old Mar 16, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
This seems like a very clever way to use points, no?

For example, we want a BOS>DCA ticket in the evening, that is running $350 or 29,900 points per passenger.

We can however redeem 11,500 points for a Blue/Flex ticket that morning (or 7,400 for a regular blue ticket, but then we'd have to pay $75).

We then stay up until 12:01 a.m. on our departure day, call jet blue, and as long as there are open seats on any of the afternoon/evening flights going to DCA or IAD, we can move to those for free?

Obviously we have to be prepared to take the 6 a.m. departure if there is a total sell-out (cancel ticket for a full refund since it's a flex ticket).
Old Mar 16, 18, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Shawn02139 View Post
This seems like a very clever way to use points, no?

For example, we want a BOS>DCA ticket in the evening, that is running $350 or 29,900 points per passenger.

We can however redeem 11,500 points for a Blue/Flex ticket that morning (or 7,400 for a regular blue ticket, but then we'd have to pay $75).

We then stay up until 12:01 a.m. on our departure day, call jet blue, and as long as there are open seats on any of the afternoon/evening flights going to DCA or IAD, we can move to those for free?

Obviously we have to be prepared to take the 6 a.m. departure if there is a total sell-out (cancel ticket for a full refund since it's a flex ticket).
Yes, if the difference between the flight you want and the cheapest flight is > $75 or the points calculation makes sense, then it's certainly worth considering. Some folks won't want to chance it that there may not be seats on the flight they want, but if you're flexible, then it can work to your advantage. The value prop for Mosaics is highly beneficial given that you can change/cancel for no fee and up to a full 24 hours prior to your scheduled time. I use that benefit quite frequently.
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Thanks AutoSlash. Two more questions. First, it that was hard for me to figure out on the website. Is there a fee to 'redeposit' points for award tickets that are flex and cancelled? Second, if I'm mosaic, and I want to change 24 hour in advance for no fee, do I still have to pay fare difference? Or if there is any open seat, I can move to that?

The latter would be a pretty good deal for the regional jet routes, since you are not worried about getting stuck in a middle seat...
Old Mar 16, 18, 6:39 pm

Thanks AutoSlash. Two more questions. First, it that was hard for me to figure out on the website. Is there a fee to 'redeposit' points for award tickets that are flex and cancelled?
Yes, I believe there is a redeposit fee that varies based on the price of your ticket and it aligns with the change fees listed here, but I am not 100% sure as their website is not specific about this. You'd have to call to confirm. Mosaics likely have it waived, but again, you'd need to confirm.

Second, if I'm mosaic, and I want to change 24 hour in advance for no fee, do I still have to pay fare difference? Or if there is any open seat, I can move to that?
Mosaics can change to any flight on the same day that has a seat available without a fee (i.e. NO fare difference). This is a confirmed change--not standby. You can call up to 24 hours prior to your originally scheduled flight departure time to make the change.

The latter would be a pretty good deal for the regional jet routes, since you are not worried about getting stuck in a middle seat...
It's more about getting on the flight than moving to any open seat, but yes, you can re-book any flight that has seats, and you can choose any available non-EMS seat for no charge. If you want EMS comped, you can ask the gate (nicely) and they usually will accommodate you if one is available.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Mar 23, 18, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
So I was playing around with this again and I've pulled off some spectacular things.
1. Wanted to Fly BOS-FLL, Cheapest Flight was on Providence-PBI. Booked that and then Same day changed for $0. (Can do It online) to BOS-FLL. Saved a TON of money.
2. But now I'm thinking bigger! Hidden City. JBLU posts some ridiculous routing that are Super $$ that I would never book. Tomorrow I'm Flying BOS-DCA(Service at IAD has been cut) when I go to "change flight" what do I see?

My BOS-DCA flight was $65 so BOS to MCO for $65 would be nice. (Note I ONLY Book 1-ways on JBLU) since they are easier to rebook when fares drop. This might be too far though...
Old Mar 25, 18, 4:35 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
If it's available to book, it's available to SDC. I did BOS-MCO-RIC once, because the price was the same, I had time to kill, so I did it to pick up the Orlando badge. (And for other reasons but WX happened)
Old Mar 25, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
If it's available to book, it's available to SDC. I did BOS-MCO-RIC once, because the price was the same, I had time to kill, so I did it to pick up the Orlando badge. (And for other reasons but WX happened)
Just to confirm, if I'm flying JFK-SJO connecting through FLL, I could SDC to JFK-SJO connecting through MCO?
Old Mar 26, 18, 8:38 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
If you search for JFK-SJO and the website gives you a JFK-MCO-SJO option, then yes, you can do it. Just make sure you're flying on a day where the MCO-SJO flight operates. It is not daily.

Doing a quick search, JFK-MCO-SJO does show up as an option, so you should be able to SDC to it if seats are available.
Old Apr 2, 18, 2:57 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I've found on the routes I fly that it is rare that a flight will be completely 0'd out and sold out, so I've readily been able to make same day changes. I do fly BOS MCO on occcasion, and if I had to do a same day change on that, I would not even lose a minute of sleep unless perhaps it was school vacation week, but still there would be open seats, there are so many flights a day on that route. If a flight is sold out, I typically set up an alert for 1 Y seat using ExpertFlyer and I would say 95% or more of the time a seat opens up. Again, though, its rare that a flight would be completely 0'd out on my routes in the first place.

Also the airport can readily do same day changes for Mosaic elites. If your airport agent is having trouble or they don't know how to do it, just tell them to reissue the ticket under irregular operations/involuntary reroute which waives all change fees and fare differences, or tell them to call crew support which is their internal help desk.

Also for anybody that knows there Sabre interface, I'm baffled why they always do a reissue for a simple same day change rather than doing a ticket revalidation. Have they blocked the ticket revalidation function from the interface that agents have?

Finally you can now in most cases do a same day change online or through the mobile app, and if you are Mosaic, they have the automation in place that will waive the fee & any fare difference when you do the online same day change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: