Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

FlyFi...am I the only one who has issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic

I constantly have issues with FlyFi where it will say it's "Connected" but the connection doesn't fully work. Specifically, I can reach certain large sites, e.g. CNN works, but others, such as Google, Twitter, and even JetBlue.com, don't. All the while the FlyFi hub says I'm "connected." I travel with an iPad, iPhone, and a MacBook Pro and I'll see different results on all three (yes, I use different email addresses for FlyFi).

With the latest FlyFi update in Jan 2017, which seems sorta half-baked since there's still an option for "Plans" even though they appear to have done away with Premium internet now that it's completely free, there's no way to disconnect from FlyFi.

Leaving and joining the network (as well as rebooting) doesn't do anything since it appears as though connectivity is pegged to your MAC address.

Couple of questions:
- Am I alone in having issues like this?
- Are there other troubleshooting steps that I'm missing that resolve this?
- How does JetBlue ever fix/improve upon this if their on the ground support team doesn't seem to care about FlyFi?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by bevnetcraven
I constantly have issues with FlyFi where it will say it's "Connected" but the connection doesn't fully work. Specifically, I can reach certain large sites, e.g. CNN works, but others, such as Google, Twitter, and even JetBlue.com, don't. All the while the FlyFi hub says I'm "connected." I travel with an iPad, iPhone, and a MacBook Pro and I'll see different results on all three (yes, I use different email addresses for FlyFi).

With the latest FlyFi update in Jan 2017, which seems sorta half-baked since there's still an option for "Plans" even though they appear to have done away with Premium internet now that it's completely free, there's no way to disconnect from FlyFi.

Leaving and joining the network (as well as rebooting) doesn't do anything since it appears as though connectivity is pegged to your MAC address.

Couple of questions:
- Am I alone in having issues like this?
- Are there other troubleshooting steps that I'm missing that resolve this?
- How does JetBlue ever fix/improve upon this if their on the ground support team doesn't seem to care about FlyFi?
Flyfyi has worked really well for me 90+% of time.
I use macbook normally. While it's not as fast as home internet, I find it to be pretty good.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bevnetcraven
This has been the case since the system launched and is a minor pet peeve of mine.

Beyond that, I've not experienced the same issues you describe with the system.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Free agent
I've had a few issues with the system itself not working on the entire plane or losing coverage but never any of the issues you've mentioned. I use laptop, phone, and iPad.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I have seen this too, but only once. I couldn't figure out any way to get around it. I had the issue on my laptop but my phone was fine, so exactly the same as you describe it...
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I had the same issue on an A320 transcon a couple days ago. Could not log out and most apps worked but could not get on flightaware.com and a few other sites. It was an overnight flight that was delayed so most people were asleep and not using the internet. My iPad worked better than my iPhone.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Back at Thanksgiving I had a highly unstable connection and was unable to stay logged into a MUSH (which is the definition of a low-data program).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
I have the same problem on almost all a321 flights. In fact I'm having it now on the BOS-LAX flight!

I can rarely get any websites to load on my laptop on the a321, except sometimes the BBC. It says I'm connected and info on the flyfi page does get updated like flight status.

Everything works when I use my iPhone.

Any ideas for how to get my laptop to work? I tried reconnecting to the network, restarting the computer, and even installing the windows updates that have been promoting me for a couple weeks just in case.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:12 am

without looking at your laptop, it's impossible to say exactly how to fix it. You can try different browsers. You can try manually go to the flyfi webpage and see if that leads you to anything. I haven't flown B6 recently so don't know if this would work. Once you connect on your iPhone, it might lead you to a page to say if you want to connect to flyfi. Try to get the link for that page and go to that page on your laptop browser. Sometimes, laptop does not know exactly the page to go to connect to the flyfi network.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Free agent
I was actually recognized as a different passenger on FlyFi during my last E190 flight. The name wasn't even close. Service worked well but I had a laugh every time I checked The Hub.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by DAS02135
I have the same problem on almost all a321 flights. In fact I'm having it now on the BOS-LAX flight!

I can rarely get any websites to load on my laptop on the a321, except sometimes the BBC. It says I'm connected and info on the flyfi page does get updated like flight status.

Everything works when I use my iPhone.

Any ideas for how to get my laptop to work? I tried reconnecting to the network, restarting the computer, and even installing the windows updates that have been promoting me for a couple weeks just in case.
Tweet @jetblue and they'll give you a credit. Doesn't get it working, but still...

On that, I'm pretty sure there is no way to fix this by changing things on your laptop...service is tied to your physical MAC address. JetBlue / their provider needs to offer a logout or "reset" option.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:41 pm

I'm having the same issue right now. It works from my tablet but not on my phone. On my phone I can only hit the flyfi hub homepage but nothing works besides flight details. And it stays connected so you can't even disconnect, even after restarting the phone.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:26 am

In flight now, joined just so I could post.

I have three devices. My MacBook and iPhone cannot access HTTPS sited. My iPad can access everything. Judging by the post above, it seems secure vs unsecure is the difference.

Super annoying.

EDIT: Spoofed a new MAC address on my MacBook and it's working fine now!

Last edited by Curtis Frazier; Jan 31, 2017 at 7:45 am Reason: Added info
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
Originally Posted by Curtis Frazier
In flight now, joined just so I could post.

I have three devices. My MacBook and iPhone cannot access HTTPS sited. My iPad can access everything. Judging by the post above, it seems secure vs unsecure is the difference.

Super annoying.

EDIT: Spoofed a new MAC address on my MacBook and it's working fine now!
How do you spoof a MAC address?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Inflight just received further communication on this issue. We have been complaining up and down about the inability to use the Fly-FI despite it showing connected. There is also a bug where if you connect on the ground and at the gate, the system will kick you off on departure and not allow you back on. Excede is working to provide a fix for that issue. Us as inflight are hit the hardest as we use the Fly-Fi on the ground to sync our manifests if we have poor cell service. The issue is being actively worked on and I'll try to post an update when a fix is in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.