Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
I get that you might find the good stuff on the west coast US but in Florida, not so much. Even Wine-Searcher can't turn up much. I, for one, do appreciate the knowledge sharing from you and others on this thread.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Aloha1
I get that you might find the good stuff on the west coast US but in Florida, not so much. Even Wine-Searcher can't turn up much. I, for one, do appreciate the knowledge sharing from you and others on this thread.
I appreciate the info as well. Only been into Japanese whiskies for a few years (i.e. a bit late) and quickly realized that 99% of the good stuff is long off the shelves in Japan at what I consider fair or reasonable pricing. However, have been lucky once in a while but it takes luck and huge persistence. My Japan trips are more about trying a zillion whiskies (Japanese and others) in the epic whisky bars here.
groovbusta and invalyd like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by invalyd
Nowadays I don't even waste time hunting when in Japan anymore and simply enjoy the godd stuff at one of the many excellent whisky bars around town
I must say, the selection / availability of certain Japanese whiskys at the local bars is starting to dwindle as well. Several of my smaller, go-to spots no longer carry the good stuff consistently. As for the places that can still get their hands on some of the allocated bottles, they'll have to remain a secret!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by groovbusta
I must say, the selection / availability of certain Japanese whiskys at the local bars is starting to dwindle as well. Several of my smaller, go-to spots no longer carry the good stuff consistently. As for the places that can still get their hands on some of the allocated bottles, they'll have to remain a secret!
I guess it depends what you define as the good stuff. I prefer to try rare Chichibu bottles and Japan exclusives when I'm there rather than anything you can purchase back home.
There are still quite a few bars serving a wide variety of nice whiskies. Some are well known, others not so much.

Fortunately, unlike liquor shops, there is no shortage of bars in Japan
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
I guess it depends what you define as the good stuff. I prefer to try rare Chichibu bottles and Japan exclusives when I'm there rather than anything you can purchase back home.
There are still quite a few bars serving a wide variety of nice whiskies. Some are well known, others not so much.

Fortunately, unlike liquor shops, there is no shortage of bars in Japan
Correct, I'm talking about rare Chichibu, older single/owner casks and other Japan bar exclusives or limited collaborations. I was at a bar a couple weeks ago and they had the new Shinanoya Godzilla releases but weren't opening the bottles. They said they were for display only (which I assume means holding for secondary resale at some point). Oh well... actually, I find myself drinking a lot of vintage and dusty bourbon at the bars now, which is pretty interesting.... but I digress.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:46 am

One of my favorite daily dram is still available for cheap at Donki as today!
invalyd and rustykettel like this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by james21_h

One of my favorite daily dram is still available for cheap at Donki as today!
For more than 15 occasions I've found this bottle at FamilyMart or Lawson (January 2019). On the other hand, 300ml Yamazaki and Hakushu is not seen in many places nowadays.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:44 pm

I’m surprised there’s still some ok stock there in Haneda international terminal yesterday. Picked up one bottle of my favorite Nikka 12 at this decent price plus 10% discount!
groovbusta likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I’m surprised there’s still some ok stock there in Haneda international terminal yesterday. Picked up one bottle of my favorite Nikka 12 at this decent price plus 10% discount!
Any LE bottles?
7473chad likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 1:00 am

Any LE bottles?
nope, wasn’t expecting anything on the shelves! But I’m grateful to see Nikka 12!
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:54 am

nope, wasn’t expecting anything on the shelves! But I’m grateful to see Nikka 12!
I was at NRT a week ago, every store has 4-5 bottles of Nikka 12. Needless to say, I picked up some.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:15 am

Went to the Yamazaki Distillery and picked up this bottle. Wasn't much of a selection and prices were higher than what you can buy at the shops.
Tastings were good. Yama 25 was my favourite
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:22 am

Sorry. Can't post my pics for some reason.

Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wikiwiki
Sorry. Can't post my pics for some reason.

Menu was cut off a bit. Do you recall how much the Yama 25 and Hibiki 30 cost?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by PastisDetox

Menu was cut off a bit. Do you recall how much the Yama 25 and Hibiki 30 cost?
2900Y each

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.