Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Japan - Prepaid Data SIM Wikia

1) get a SIM before the trip, activate it when you land. you can find japan-specific prepaid SIMs on ebay/amazon/... .Some countries have providers that offer good roaming rates in other countries(eg Starhub in Singapore, Ais Sim2Fly available globally)
2) preorder it, delivered to your hotel
3) preorder it to airport post office, can pick up when you land
4) preorder it, pickup at some airport counter/store
5) at airport/city, find an store/kiosk/vending machine and buy from them
6) Use an app such as Iijmio, Airalo or Ubigi to buy an e-SIM if your phone supports it

If you are arriving at Haneda international terminal without a SIM: Exit customs, turn right, and continue to the BIC camera store on the left side. Ignore any other places and vending machines that will sell you a SIM. BIC has a good selection at regular camera store prices.
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 9:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Might be a stupid question, but how do I know I'm good to go after purchasing the IIJMIO eSIM? I've followed all the steps in the posts above and am in a similar situation to the post below. Main concern is the APN/Username/Password not populating under my Cellular Data Network page yet, but that could be totally normal.

Originally Posted by McG
Iphone 13. Scanned the QR code on the website, which then came up with an Activate Now screen on the phone which I selected. Then got a message saying I could continue using my phone. 10 mins later got a message saying sim not activated. It has however populated the IMEI2, ICCID, MEID slots under about and also displays the Japanese Number associated with the sim.
Just want to make sure I'm data-ready right after I jump off the plane later this month.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by mongobot
I used the 30 day Mobal SIM (the one that comes with a local number) in July without issue. A family member was using an IIJmio tourist SIM during the same period and it seemed like the Mobal connection was generally faster / more consistent even if the margin wasn't necessarily wide. YMMV
Awesome thank you!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by inyvr
Might be a stupid question, but how do I know I'm good to go after purchasing the IIJMIO eSIM? I've followed all the steps in the posts above and am in a similar situation to the post below. Main concern is the APN/Username/Password not populating under my Cellular Data Network page yet, but that could be totally normal.

Just want to make sure I'm data-ready right after I jump off the plane later this month.
If you're in that situation, then you should get signal as soon as you touch down in Japan. That was how it went for me last week. You won't see a "personal hotspot" option appear, though- if you want that you have to go download the carrier profile from their website (or if you have a Japanese App Store account, from the My IIJMio app), install it, then type out the APN info for "personal hotspot" (same as for regular internet). Worked fine for me during my 3-hour transit at NRT, I was able to tether both my laptop and my Switch to the phone and finally run down the data I'd accumulated (took some trying, though- bought a couple new games for the Switch, ran a Windows update on my laptop, downloaded a bunch of app updates I'd banked up in the preceding week).
inyvr likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by jamar
If you're in that situation, then you should get signal as soon as you touch down in Japan. That was how it went for me last week. You won't see a "personal hotspot" option appear, though- if you want that you have to go download the carrier profile from their website (or if you have a Japanese App Store account, from the My IIJMio app), install it, then type out the APN info for "personal hotspot" (same as for regular internet). Worked fine for me during my 3-hour transit at NRT, I was able to tether both my laptop and my Switch to the phone and finally run down the data I'd accumulated (took some trying, though- bought a couple new games for the Switch, ran a Windows update on my laptop, downloaded a bunch of app updates I'd banked up in the preceding week).
And I should be seeing "No Service" all the time if I'm outside of Japan right? The activation was kind of weird, it was stuck at "activating" for 15 minutes, and then it says it failed, and then no updates and looked like it was "activated"

My ESim screen for the IIJ sim looks like this, fairly standard looking imo but I won't know if it works or not until my phone sees a Docomo tower.

Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
This one? https://www.amazon.co.jp/Version-Ini...jaz10cnVl&th=1

Is this the process?
1. Buy esim from Amazon/iijmio for download
2. Activate esim Giga Plan https://www.iijmio.jp/gigaplan/esim/
Plans
  • 2 GB 440 yen
  • 4 GB 660 yen
  • 8 GB 1,100 yen
  • 15 GB 1,430 yen
  • 20 GB 1,650 yen
3. Cancel plan after 2 months, esim can be reactivated later with IIJMio account

IIJMio doesn't seem to offer sms or direct voice on the esim plan https://www.iijmio.jp/simguide/esim/cons.html though the esim can be exchanged for a physical sim? Voice & SMS on Au/Docomo seems to still require a MyNumber/id (should have clarified that) and you're right that various MVNOs do offer contract data only plans which don't require id verification.
From https://www.iijmio.jp/hdc/spec/

Just asking about sms/phone number since some people still want that for 2FA or local calls.
Thank you freecia this worked super well for me.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Angusgor
And I should be seeing "No Service" all the time if I'm outside of Japan right? The activation was kind of weird, it was stuck at "activating" for 15 minutes, and then it says it failed, and then no updates and looked like it was "activated"

My ESim screen for the IIJ sim looks like this, fairly standard looking imo but I won't know if it works or not until my phone sees a Docomo tower.

That looks right. Once you touch down in Japan it'll register on a docomo tower, although the carrier name will say IIJ.
inyvr likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by Pamyurin
IMO the iijmio method seems like a lot of work to save a few dollars. After checking esimdb, Ubigi is 16 USD for 10GB for 30 days, is it really worth it to go through all the steps of rolling over data to get maybe 16 GB with Iijimo vs 10GB with Ubigi?

Not sponsored btw, it just seems like that company is the best price performance at the moment without going through those hoops.
Have you or anyone used Ubiji? I assume if I install an esim while in the US and purchase a data only plan for Japan the starting date will be when I first land in Japan even if I install and activate it while in the US. Is that right?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 12:34 am

duplicate

Last edited by estnet; Oct 10, 2022 at 12:35 am Reason: duplicate
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
According to the Ubigi website, the clock starts ticking when you purchase the data plan.
When is the best timing to buy
wilywombat likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
According to the Ubigi website, the clock starts ticking when you purchase the data plan.
When is the best timing to buy
Thank you so much, I missed that page despite searching (apparently ineffectively) for 10 minutes!
Old Oct 16, 2022, 4:49 pm

Hi, I tried buying the IIJmio sim card on the Amazon.co.JP site,but it won't let me complete the purchase with an address in the US saying the region is not supported. How do you get around that?
Thanks
Al
Old Oct 16, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Hi, I tried buying the IIJmio sim card on the Amazon.co.JP site,but it won't let me complete the purchase with an address in the US saying the region is not supported. How do you get around that?
Thanks
Al
@Alinsfca If you look back in this thread at around post #590 you'll see the same topic being discussed.
The short answer seems to be setting your Amazon home address to Japan or signing up directly through IIJmio.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Alinsfca
Thanks
Al
For now, just use the IIJMio site directly and sign up with the address of the first place you'll be staying at in Japan, since the total activation fee is the same. So long as you're doing eSIM, nothing will be shipped. The only reason to do Amazon is if you want a physical SIM (lower activation fee) or anyone signing up after 10/31 (activation fee on IIJMio site goes back up to 3300 yen until the next promo comes around).
Old Oct 17, 2022, 5:30 am

Tried searching FT for updated info on renting pocket wifi at Haneda airport but can't seem to find really much. Seems Pupuru and globaladvancedcomm.com, to which I found references, are not delivering/operating at HND anymore.
Can someone please throw some light on the current situation at HND for renting pocket wifi? Our scheduled arrival is 0700 on Nov 13.
And apologies for being in the wrong forum but I couldn't find anything else.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jamar
For now, just use the IIJMio site directly and sign up with the address of the first place you'll be staying at in Japan, since the total activation fee is the same. So long as you're doing eSIM, nothing will be shipped. The only reason to do Amazon is if you want a physical SIM (lower activation fee) or anyone signing up after 10/31 (activation fee on IIJMio site goes back up to 3300 yen until the next promo comes around).
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.